VESC HM-10 bluetooth wiring

Android phone? Android 8 has issues with a lot of HM10 bluetooth modules.

I got some new hm-10s from @JLabs, they work with my Android 8 phone. The metr adaptor still doesnā€™t. Not sure what the issue is but Iā€™m sticking with the @Ackmaniac app I guess.

1 Like

Its 8.0. :-/ I Heard about the restrictive bt protocol in 8.0.

Thanks for the Tipp! I am in Germany, so ordering from the US is time and cost intensive. So Iā€™d like to buy it in the EU. Do you know how I know which Modul will work?

Youā€™d have to ask @JLabs, I have no idea where he sourced them.

You can try to ask here HM-10 Transparent Serial Port Bluetooth 4.0 Modules Bluetooth Serial Port With Logic Level Transformation http://s.aliexpress.com/FJBJJ3qI?fromSns=Copy to Clipboard to the seller if it is actually original. Based on the post https://blog.yavilevich.com/2016/12/hm-10-or-cc41-a-module-automatic-arduino-ble-module-identification/ it seems legit. Of course more expensive than the clone.

1 Like

Just want to clarify, do I or do I not need the resistors to cut down 5V to 3.3V? If yes, which is the right wiring? I see two diagrams in this thread, but the first one was declared wrong, and the second one did not contain any resistors. Any help appreciated!

No need of resistors.

1 Like

Awesome, thanks! You just saved me a bunch of money, the HM-10 modules are ridiculously cheap on Taobao, like $1 each.

I may want to buy original HM10 module, not cheap copies. We have tons of issues with copies and lzst versions of Android.

1 Like

Hmmm anyway to tell them apart? Besides the price, of course.

Though at $1 a piece, thereā€™s little risk to buying one to try.

$1 modules wonā€™t work for sure with Android 8 without a workaround (or a firmware upgrade of the chip which is a bit tricky).

1 Like

I would think most Android phones are stuck with older versions of Android and that Android 8 is abit of a rarity.

I donā€™t think itā€™ll be an issue for me, I have at least 1 phone still running Android 7, so I can use that for now.

Sure Android 8 is not well deployed yet. But it will more and more. Is it worth saving $5 on a $1000+ build for an already obsolete device ? My advice : buy an official HM-10 and drink a beer less. itā€™s worth it. :wink:

2 Likes

I think now I tried everything to get one of the common apps working to monitor the VESC. But I still do not get communication. I do find the bluetooth device (tried different ones HM-11,10 older green ones) but it does not matter what I do, the app (vesc connect pro & vesc Monitor) does not response. I do have a maytech clone (e-greenmotion), installed the bootloader and new firmware (13.04.2018) changed the settings to PPM and UART. I crossed the RX and TX wires (also flipped this 2 for testing) and do power the bluetooth module with 3,3V. I did read the whole treat but could not find my mistake. Did I miss something or does not one of the 4 bluethooth moduls work for this simple task? ā€œNo firmware Read responseā€ sometimes pops up. Thanks for your help.

Which module do you have (how do they hsow up on your phone? Which phone do you have? I power the module with 5V but also with 3.3V I tried and it works.

HMSoft is written in the list of my huawei P9. Changed to 5V but still the same problem. I did get a totally new one that is HM-10 from keyestudio Bluetooth 4.0 V2 VESC Firmware is 3.38 HW 410

Definetely the bluetooth module should work. Really wierd. At which step you see the problem adn which app are you trying to use?

Edit: Can you post a pic of the wiring on the module and the JST connector? Also the uart port on your vesc

Thanks for your help. I made a picture but IĀ“m sure there is no misstake. It also the same like on this pic. The app is VESC Connect by jacob bloy. In the app I do find the module but can not communicate (I can not read the config, start the motorā€¦)IMG_20180617_180914

Does something else need to be done to find the bluetooth module with my phone? Iā€™ve wired it up to a Escape (vesc6) with tx/rx crossed and gnd/5v to the gnd/vcc pin of the HM10 module. HM10 is speced for 3.6-6volts so I use the 5v pin on the escape and not the 3.3v vcc pin since itā€™s to low. The bluetooth module is blinking red with 1hz approx and I canā€™t find it when searching with my phone.

Edit. forgot to add that I use a ebay genereic HM10 module with metr and petimetr app on Iphone X.

Metr wonā€™t see the generic module. It has to be the metr module. With the generic hm-10 set the baudrate to 9600bps, download the @Ackmaniac app.

1 Like