VESC FAQ | Regen Braking Configuration BLDC tool & Brake Force

Uploading…

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageUploading…

I noticed on FLsky VESC 6.6 that to have breaks I have to increase amperage in " Battery current max regan " otherwise breaks are not working , even if I got -60A at " Motor current max Break " So how can I set breaks without recharging battery ?

From my humble knowledge, you cannot have break without Regen. Where would the energy go? something would need to get very very hot to absorb this energy. Remember Physics courses: nothing disapear, everything transforms.

1 Like

It would be wasted as heat in the motor and the ESC.

1 Like

An ESC can be designed with a braking resistor that disspates heat into a heatsink if you didn’t want to charge the battery with it or if the battery was full already. VESC is just not designed with this feature.

On focbox UI, if I set the PPM mode on fwd/reverse instead of fwd/brake, will it regenarate the battery while braking?

It should. I run the vesc tool for 3.39 and have it set to Current. I brake to a stop and reverse. If not, it’s a kind of magic that’s slowing me down and charging my batts.

I have a question that i believe best fits here(as opposed to a new thread lol). When refering to high speed braking, the main contributing setting is battery min, correct? But does motor min still play a partial roll at high speeds? I was riding yesterday, and going down a pretty steep hill i was no longer able to brake! Im 270lbs and my thought was due to my weight, the incline and my speed… is it possible I was exceeding my Battery min, losing my ability to brake bc the regen setting was being exceeded? This happened twice and as soon as I slowed down I was able to brake again. Oh also, the first time i was able to brake at the top of the hill slightly at first but as I gained speed and the incline increased i completely lost brakes. And I was still able to accelerateXD so it was not a connection issue… bumpXD

Yes

Not unless it’s excessively high, and also higher than Battery Min. Essentially, no.

So if
Motor Min -10A
Battery Min -20A

then yes, it could override Battery Min but as long as Motor Min is under -20, say like -30A or -40A then it won’t matter for high-speed braking.

Was your battery fully-charged? You can’t charge a full battery.

thx for the reply, it happened twice. One close to full, yes. The other time it was about 75 percent. So i dont think that was it. Motor min was -75, Batt min was -20. I recently switched to Foc too… idk, if thatd play in at all.

I have a 10S3P battery and have set bat min at -12amps per the 4A/cell recommendation and motor min at -40amp on a single TB 6350 190eV motor. I find that my brakes are not strong enough on steep hills to keep me from accelerating down. Is this limited by the battery min? If so, is there anything I can do in the settings to improve this, or would I need a 4P or 5P battery? What is the risk if I up the battery min since breaking is infrequent and the duration is typically not too long?

If I am not mistaken, none of the VESC has the setting to allow brakes strong enough to make the board stay in place on a slope…

Am I going down the right lines in thinking 100a from the motor back EMF to VESC ends up as 30a charge to the battery.

If so dose the battery min ideally be at least approx 30% of motor min

So in a practical use for calculating you’r battery min spec you wanted -60A motor (Dule set up -30A per motor) you would want a battery regen about -18amps (Dule set up 9A per VESC) min spec of battery charge current?

I don’t know where I heard that and thinking about it…where’s the rest of that energy going if not the battery? or maybe sadly its lost as heat in the motor.