VESC FAQ | ❎ WARNING ❎ Risk of short

@warman - this issue isn’t on our VESCs. Our pins are clipped and we have a thicker insulation on our wiring. You don’t have to worry.

looks like you really need to put that vesc in a box and cut the pins down, in a box there would be less danger of wires being bent the wrong way and causing caps or wires coming into contact with other components. just saying.

Good to know! Thanks

We also cut the pins short so this is not an issue with Ollin vesc’s. I also know @elkick does the same before shipping his vesc’s.

2 Likes

@torqueboards like this one from chaka

Another Ollinboardco VESC… Pins clipped flush.

i noticed that too.

Also (and i apologize for not having pics to prove it, maybe i’ll take some later) i successfully dremelled down the pins on four of my enertion VESCs this past weekend without compromising any of the solder joints. I just used a finer sanding drum and didn’t apply any pressure. The dropped down immediately. You have to be very gentle and let the spin do all the work, and be careful about the resistors near the pins. I blue taped the units before doing it to keep the metal dust out and made sure the spin of the drum was throwing dust away from the board, not towards it.

it took me about 20 minutes to do all four of them and heat shrink them as well.

1 Like

Received my vesc yesterday with the heat shrink fix already applied from Enertion

Those pins certainly are pointy and can see how it would pierce the shielding.

I am just checking before connecting to the battery. Do you think what I am thinking is going to happen?

Yep. Hot glue those suckers.

1 Like

I hear a Dremel multi-tool (or similar) with the small circular file attachment works very well also at grinding them down - If you’re careful (applying little to no pressure) and ensure the file is spinning away from the PCB. Seems like the best option in my mind so you don’t need to worry about the glue moving or becoming dislodged in the future. That or clipping them off, but I’d be worried about damaging the board so I’d personally go with the Dremel option.

1 Like

Please PIN this topic, it’s really important. EDIT: THANKS!

Did you get your vesc repaired or replaced yet? I had the same manufacturing defect and I sent mine in to the us supplier. He received it on the 1st and Linda told me on the 4th that she told them to send replacements. I still haven’t heard anything back.

Nope. Still waiting. Jacob said it could take up to 2 weeks. :cry:

Thanks for the quick reply :slight_smile:. I hope we get out replacements soon. Brandon in Texas has had my units for two weeks today. I’m pretty bummed it’s taking so long and would feel better with some more communication. I guess a good chunk of the lack of response is due to the limited enertion staff and the giant difference in time zones ( I send an email to enertion, 17 hours ahead of me, then they send an email to Texas, then Enertion gets a reply, then Enertion can finally reply to me). I’ll stay cheery and keep my hopes up, but I’m upset I never even got to ride my board yet :frowning:.

Actually, they received my VESC on the 1st as well. So its been 2 weeks already.That sucks though, you didn’t even get to try your board. I was lucky that my vesc had no issues. But after a week I switched to FOC and it worked flawlessly for like 15 miles of riding.

do you have the VESC-PLATINUM? or did you buy the warranty?

if so please email [email protected] and advise them of the situation so they can get your new VESC sent out…

I am afraid if you have simply posted the VESC back to factory without any other formal steps taken you could be waiting a long time and nothing will happen…

I have spent many hours over the last few weeks developing procedures & training new support staff to assist with these matters… please email again and i am sure you will get a great experience. (if not let me know)

I was wondering if an email would be recived with return shipping information after you file a warranty claim, I did not purchase the warranty, and believe the 60 day electronic return warranty would apply to my claim because it was the first use, I filed on the 9th, I know you and your team are very busy. Just courious if the status pending means ready for me to ship it back? I have contacted the support a couple times over the last few days with no definite awnser.

I didn’t buy any warranty. I emailed support first thing after the problem occurred. Jacob told me to send them back with my original order list and the email conversation we had. I assumed, that since he didn’t tell me anything about buying a year of warranty, the 60 day warranty applied. I emailed support a couple of times since they last responded to me, I have been waiting for a reply. Is there something else I have to do?

Support already said this on the 4th “We are waiting on information from the factory. I have asked them to ship you 2 replacement units.”