VESC DRV8302 Failures and Repair Options

On my vesc the c18 and c26 are bridged together, will this be an issue? Should I just add a 4.7uf cap to the c26 side?

1 Like

C18 and c26 are place in parallel. :wink: Yep, just add the cap and it should be fine

1 Like

question, I have a blown DRV. Its an old vesc (orignial raptor 1 version, dont know which one exactly). I somehow think buying new vesc(s) will be cheaper than to buy all the tools I would need. (given I would even be able to fix it).

Thoughts, Ideas ?

1 Like

Hi there ,did you end up finding someone to repair the vesc drv problem?if so where and how much please,?

@Rions I fixed mine myself but I believe @JohnnyMeduse repairs them for a fair price.

1 Like

Hey guys I am unsure if my my DRV chip is fried… There is no sign of any melted plastic or burn marks on the chip but when booting up the VESC, the LEDs flashes red 3 times. I also get an error saying DRV8302. The wierd thing is, this VESC is completely new and would actually make a successful motor detection. After motor detection the motor studdered and would not spin freely. I then connected another motor and same thing - the motor studders. Then I switched to yet a other motor and now the VESC will not respond at all - besides the error code “DRV8302” and flashing red 3 times. Is this a software problem or is it a blown DRV?

Hello there guys,

i have a little problem with my VESC. It once worked until i fucked up the DRV with the current ramp step bug for OS X.

I could connect it but the red led flashed 3 times when i wanted to start the motor detection. So i went to my university and had the DRV replaced with a SMC rework station, but since i did this, it cant be connected to my laptop. “NO FIRMWARE READ RESPONSE”.

I tried it with a lab-current source with 15V, nothing. No flashing 3x Red LED at power up/connecting to power. no amps drawn. nothing.

So i checked the voltage at the tc2117. with gnd and 1. pin nothing. 2. pin 0,17V and 3. pin only 1V.

C31 and C33 had no short. So do i need to reflash the firmware or is the exposed pad on the drv8302 not soldered correct on the board?

are there anymore things that could be with the board?

best regards, robin

Sounds like your DRV isn’t soldered correctly. It should output the 5V (build in step down) that goes to the LDO for the 3.3V for the STM32. I have heard that it is possible to also destroy other components when the DRV is soldered without the ground pad connected.

Hey guys digging up this old thread, but I could use some help on repairing a VESC. Pretty much a friend gave me a VESC that had a blown DRV (burn mark on the top of it) and I have been attempting to fix it. Originally I replaced the DRV modules as well as 2 of the MOSFET’s that had a drain to source short which was causing the VESC to dead short when given power. Anyways now the VESC is mostly working, I can connect with BLDC Ackmaniacs software and configure it through there, though when I try to start a motor detection it moves the motor slightly but says it failed. When I check for faults it gives me two of them, the classic DRV8302 fault as well as a couple under voltage faults. I also replaced 3 of the gate resistors because they were burnt as well. And lastly this is the second DRV I put on this board, the first one I thought was badly soldered somewhere that I couldn’t see so I just removed it and started over. With this one know the motor at least moves slightly though im still getting these errors. Anyways if anybody has any advise that would be much appreciated. Pics below. P.S. The 2 MOSFET’s with the silver marks in the middle are the ones I replaced.

Edit: Just replaced R51 as it was burnt as well like the gate resistors. Now when I run a motor detection I only get under voltage errors and no DRV errors so thats an improvment, I guess.

1 Like

Can you take a picture of the soldering o. The two shunt

1 Like

Hey Johnny thanks for the reply! Here are some more closeups of the shunts. The soldering around them seems ok to me.

1 Like

Missing the front :wink:

Heres a pic from the front

1 Like

How do you power your vesc and what are the parameters

Powering it with a lab bench CC/CV PSU limited to 3A at 25V when motor testing which is more than enough. My VESC settings are below.

Can you tel me what is the Voltage on the real time data tab (don’t forget to activate the real time data)

1 Like

well for me when I go to the Realtime Data tab the voltage is under the bottom of the screen so I cant see it there. However when I type “volt” into the terminal it reads the correct 25V so its not a problem there. Pic below is what I mean

Ok, I wanted to check if R3 and R4 where ok, since you’ve had undervoltage error.

So I now do beleive that the UnderVoltage error you have are False Undervoltage, It is probably a problem over the DRV, so I can suggest you to recheck for short on the drv, make sure R48 to R51 are at 100ohms, R28-R29-R34-R35-R42-R43 are at 4,7ohms, and the shunt are perfectly solder (in doubt resolder them).

Yeah all those resistor values are correct, DRV looks fine no shorts. Im starting to think theres a trace or via thats burnt or shorted and is impossible to fix. I think im going to just buy a new VESC. Thanks for the help anyways.

Hey do u have any with dvr fault i have a guy here in ireland who has changed chips for me befor He wants to give it ago cost for u will be just shipping to me Ill send it back to u for testing