VESC Brakes grabbing coming to stop

Just testing out a new build with dual motors 140kV 10S 4.12HW 3.34FW vescs with max brake current set to -25A. Wheels are pneumatic 175mm diam with 66T wheel cog and 15T motor cog. Sensored motors with sensorless above 7,000 erpm. Acceleration is very smooth .

The brakes are very smooth and fine coming from speed - but when slowing down at about 3km/h they grab quite hard . This is approx 3,000 erpm.

Any idea what is causing this ? . I recall reading somewhere that the vesc shorts two phases for final braking- maybe this is what is happening. If so - is there a setting to switch this off or to reduce the braking current a bit. Thanks

1 Like

Are you running FOC or BLDC?

1 Like

The setting you’re looking for is labeled something like “minimum ERPM to apply full brake”, or at least it is in the original bldc tool and vesc tool. I haven’t used ack’s extended tool though.

Running FOC with CAN bus -

I cant find a setting on VESC Tool for “minimum ERPM to apply full brake”

Is it something to do with the hand brake settings?

Thanks

I’m interested to know what this could be. I just switched to a new motor without changing any setting that weren’t crucially needed for a new motor and am having this happen below 5mph.

1 Like

Exact same thing is happening to me on my Maytech motor. I am using vesc tool too. Atm when braking I do not full break and use foot brake at the end instead.

Have you tried to calibrate your remote controller in the VESC Tool?

1 Like

Trampa mentioned in the past that bat min and motor min have to be more or less identical for linear braking in FOC mode. I haven’t tried it myself/switched to BLDC.

My braking is very linear and smooth down to about 3-4km/hr then it grabs hard. Must be a dfferent setting somewhere but I cant find it Cheers

1 Like

Yes -The remote is calibrated fine using vesc tool

so were mine, except at low speed. That is the advice trampa gave based on my experience/exact same issue you are describing. Something to do with motor min being used predominantly at low speed. Worth a shot right? Set both bat & motor min at the min bat value.

No worries -Thanks for the hint-will give it a go and see how it goes

Just checked my settings and they are both set to -25A

crap, that’s a shame. Would be worth posting the feedback in the vesc-tool thread. It would appear a fair number of people are having this issue with FOC.

It is defintly a speed issue and is very repeatable and it seems to not be related to braking motor current at that particular speed when it grabs

This is what @MysticalDork is referring to:

2 Likes

Dont think Vesc tool has that setting

Guys I think I have found a solution to this by directly editing some motor xml file parameters. Just doing final testing now Cheers

So below is what I tried and it seems to work OK - Try below at your own risk

I an running dual DIYE 4.12HW vescs in FOC that came with 2.18FW. Updated vescs to 3.34FW using vesc tool 0.87.

The parameter “Max ERPM at full brake in current control mode” exists in BLDC tool but for some reason seems to have disappeared in the vesc tool.

So the first thing I did is to save motor xml file from vesc and then load it into BLDC tool. All parameters seemed to load OK into BLDC tool with same current and voltage settings.

Noticed that the value of “Max ERPM at full brake in current control mode” was 1500 erpm which corresponds to the speed at which the brakes were grabbing .

You may be able to adjust that setting in BLDC tool - then do a xml save and then load xml file into vesc tool and then download to vesc. I didn’t want to try this due to possibility that bldc tool could upset parameters in vesc tool and possibly fry the vesc.

So what I did was to get a xml file editor ( I used one from mediafreeware.com )

Then get the vesc motor xml file from vesc tool and load it into the xml editor.

Look for a line showing

parameter

The using xml editor - change the 1500 no to 200 ( about 1km/hr for me) with no other changes.

Then using xml editor save the xml file , then load that modified xml file into the vesc tool and then push motor config to the vesc. repeat for the other vesc if running dual drives

Note - one of my vescs came with 1500 for “Max ERPM at full brake in current control mode” and one was showing 500 . I guess these were different default settings on initial 2.18FW set-up and have not been changed by the vesc tool ( A bit strange!).

I changed both vescs to 200 erpm and it seems to work fine.

Cheers

9 Likes

@trampa

Can you expose that parameter in the gui in a future update?

Explains why random people have this issue. Different stock values.