Vesc/BMS cutting out at full charged battery (Solved)

I read the fault codes from terminal:

Fault : FAULT_CODE_OVER_VOLTAGE Current : -14.2 Current filtered : -14.3 Voltage : 57.35 Duty : 0.27 RPM : 21833.1 Tacho : 453339 Cycles running : 10841 TIM duty : 3498 TIM val samp : 1748 TIM current samp : 8175 TIM top : 12854 Comm step : 5 Temperature : 48.62

Fault : FAULT_CODE_OVER_VOLTAGE Current : -20.3 Current filtered : -15.9 Voltage : 57.41 Duty : 0.20 RPM : 17775.2 Tacho : 464138 Cycles running : 4798 TIM duty : 3221 TIM val samp : 1610 TIM current samp : 9744 TIM top : 16268 Comm step : 2 Temperature : 46.49

Fault : FAULT_CODE_OVER_VOLTAGE Current : -11.4 Current filtered : -11.5 Voltage : 57.45 Duty : 0.23 RPM : 17776.1 Tacho : 486449 Cycles running : 6651 TIM duty : 3358 TIM val samp : 1677 TIM current samp : 8969 TIM top : 14583 Comm step : 3 Temperature : 47.65

Fault : FAULT_CODE_OVER_VOLTAGE Current : -23.3 Current filtered : -16.5 Voltage : 57.63 Duty : 0.14 RPM : 14073.5 Tacho : 505408 Cycles running : 4414 TIM duty : 2848 TIM val samp : 1426 TIM current samp : 11865 TIM top : 20877 Comm step : 2 Temperature : 48.48

Fault : FAULT_CODE_OVER_VOLTAGE Current : -34.5 Current filtered : -22.3 Voltage : 57.68 Duty : 0.10 RPM : 11553.5 Tacho : 522941 Cycles running : 3915 TIM duty : 2513 TIM val samp : 1264 TIM current samp : 13767 TIM top : 25007 Comm step : 1 Temperature : 51.99

So, this limit is being exceeded:

So, I decided to make some tests today:

1. Decreased battery min (regen) from -8.00 to -5.00A VESC still cutted out but a little less frecuently Brakes were sluggish

2. Decreased battery min (regen) to -2.00A Brakes force was almost non existent VESC didn’t cut out once

3. Increased Maximum input voltage from 57V to 58V VESC cutted out at 58.7V (same problem, more voltage, less safe)

4. Reduced Motor min (regen) from -60.00A to -30.00A Same issue, no change on feeling of the board on braking, VESC still cutted out

I’m out of ideas on what to test next, what would you guys suggest in order to avoid this that won’t be charging the board at 89%, do you think it could have something to do with the small motor pulley?

What battery do you have??? Even a 12S pack should not reach 57V

Are you running a BMS? some are known to not take Regen Current.

I have a 10S4P with battery supports 10S 60A BMS made by @barajabali

The regen is very high and it overcharges the battery at >57V spikes at full batt charge.

2 Likes

Ok guys I fixed the problem.

The culprit was the BMS, it was cutting regen supply from the motors during braking in order to protect the battery to be charged more than 42V, nevertheless the motors kept spinning, hence braking and regenerating and the flow of current had nowhere to go, so it was being stored in the VESC raising the voltage until overcharge fault was thrown.

I changed this wiring: BMS for charge and discharge

to this: BMS for charge only

2 Likes

Hey there, Ive been worrying about this exact problem for a while now. I dont see how this solves the problem (although I’m happy for you that it has) as far as I know, The issue is that when the battery is full and you brake, the VESC cannot dump any current into the cells, because the BMS tells the vesc that the cells are full. Then the VESC is shutting down to protect itself. Is what you have done the following: When charging via regular wall charger, the charge goes through the BMS, this means that at a full charge, your cells are sitting at a nice happy 4.2 V BUT when you brake with your motors, they send current straight to the cells, bypassing the BMS, so the cells may get to 42.1 V or something, but at least nothing shuts down. Does the BMS not freak out at that point, telling the vesc that there’s the problem (I keep thinking of a skateboard as a community talking to each other so that I can shred the streets)

The BMS is not hooked up to the VESC so even if it shuts off power from the charger, the power is nit coming from there.

@Eboosted, I suggest you add a fuse so you don’t blow anything up now that you’re bypassing the BMS

Is the general answer to this, to under charge slightly, maybe 0.5v? Your brakes then work even right off the charger, and you get more cycle life for your cells by 1. not overcharging during braking, 2. not charging to max

@PXSS I’ll set a fuse between the battery and VESCs, unfortunately there no much space and the 80A fuse and fuse holder are extremely big.

Has anyone found a small and suitable fuse and holder for this application?

@deucesdown, if you check the charge on each cell the voltage at full charge sits between 41.6-41.00V so charging a little bit more won’t cause any issues, some people charge it until 42.5V or even 43V, cell won’t be automatically damaged, on the other hand this will be donr only for a fraction of time, I’d say between 1 and 2 minutes of riding.

Isn’t the maximum input voltage setting on the BLDC tool supposed to stop this?

I know a lot of people say to leave it at 57V to stop the vesc switching off but if you’re discharging without a BMS shouldn’t this setting stop you overcharging the battery?

Not really. That setting is meant to protect the VESC from over voltage and not the battery. Setting it at 42V would only cause the vesc to shut off sooner.

2 options are set to 57v and slightly overcharge when braking or set it to 42v and not overcharge but shut off when braking

Won’t even happen for that long. It’ll literally only happen while you are actively braking enough to charge the pack above 42v. As soon as you stop braking, the voltage should settle back down.

I rather have a 0.5% less battery cycles than loosing brakes at a street crossing

Don’t want to start a new thread as this seems to be similar to what I experienced today, but could you guys check my error log and see if this would in fact be the same issue as @Eboosted experienced?

Not sure when I received this error code as board was on for several hours, but at the beginning of the ride with full batt. I had several losses of brakes when going down a very very minor slope at almost zero speed… Had those brake cutouts a few times and avoided to go downhill and no more brake issues since.

Are you discharging through bms?

Yes. Same BMS as you had I believe. SuPower 10s 60A

You went above the 57V max input limit

Yes, and why was that /how could one avoid that?

Breaking on full battery caused it, you could increase the limit to 58. Or just be mindful when full battery

There are ony two ways to avoid this:

1. Use the BMS for charging only, you will loose all battery protection features of the BMS for discharge

2. Charge up to 41.5V SOC (state of charge) instead than 42v, using a custom charger or soething similar than this: