VESC Bluetooth Modules for Sale! [IN STOCK AGAIN] [APP FINISHED UPDATE]

And ordered too!

@evoheyax welcome to vendorhood.

Congratulations on the website and the product development. It’s great to see more businesses starting up and innovating.

When I started this forum i hoped that it would be an environment that allowed new business to florish. I have always believed that business and end users need to mix together openly if we are to build the diy esk8 scene into a legitimate industry.

A recent trend of new ventures on this forum is a very positive sign of a healthy & growing community. The more the better.

Strap in & prepare for one hell of a ride. 2017 is going to be huge.

9 Likes

Hey everyone. I just want to clarify things as I don’t want you to mis understand. You can only run 1 chip per vesc system currently. My understanding of the bluetooth limitations of bluetooth in general is you can only communicate via bluetooth with one device at a time (though you can be connected to multiple and switch turns, but not with this app). This app reads data from the first vesc it finds (it doesn’t provide an option to go back and forth between 2 chips). So if you buy 2 chips, they would need to be used on 2 different systems, at least for the time being. If I can figure out how to properly send xml setting files to the vesc, it could be useful to have multiple in one system, but not at this time.

Just an update to everyone who has ordered so far…

I’m currently packing orders. I should be done packing orders within the next hour and will be shipped today.

1 Like

Hell yeah!

All orders have been shipped.

To my United States customers, your orders are scheduled to arrive this coming Tuesday.

To my international customers, shipping was quite a bit higher than I expected. The cheapest option was $13.50 USD. I will increase my shipping charges for future purchases, as I am losing money on these sales. I need to at least break even.

Maybe a coordinated group buy for Europe?

What if we bought the chip locally, used your app, and gave you a donation?

If you would like to do that, I would encourage that. The reason I am selling them like this is two reasons:

• To recover the costs of putting the app in the app store (donations take care of this)
  • To make it easy to use, as the wiring is very specific. You could spend hours putting your first one together (as I did). I have the assembly time down to about 30 minutes per chip.

The other thing is you can’t buy just one jst plug for a fair price, if at all. These parts are best if bought in bulk. I’m not sure if you can find these locally, as they are made by Adafruit Industries, which is an open-source hardware company based in New York City.

Maybe someone like @elkick could help distribute them in Europe? I could ship 15 of these for $13.50 to europe, or 1 for $13.50. It would make more sense in my mind to ship 15 for $13.50, that’s less than $1 per module in shipping, and I’m sure shipping around europe from another european country would be far cheaper than me shipping to 1 european customer at a time.

We stated with 13, and now we are down to 6! If you want to get in the first batch, now is your chance!

These chips are produced In the United States in New York, assemble in San Francisco. These are high quality modules, they will not just fall apart like some of the cheap electronics we’ve all seen on this forum.

More app development is to come. It’s very easy to use, and you’ll finally be able to see what your vesc is doing, and build better, smarter electric skateboards.

Down to 4! maybe a few days at most before they are gone for the time being. One thing to remember, please please use the diagram on my website to connect to the right pins if using vesc 4.10, 4.11, or 4.12. Not sure what would happened if you installed it incorrectly and I don’t want to find out. Best case in my mind, it would fry your BT chip. So just make sure you follow the directions so nothing blows up!

1 Like

great stuff!! now if there was a chance for motor detection button, that would be so awesome. i noticed that, for a dialed in vesc, the only reason for hooking it up with my computer is switching motors!

p.s. got experience if this works through a full carbon enclosure? most remotes didnt :confused:

I would want to say it won’t work, cause carbon fiber doesn’t like signals. But it is a pretty strong signal from my experience. I’ve had it work in my housek 25 feet away through 2 walls. But if you can get a reciever to work, then you should be able to get signals from this. I don’t see the point of an eboard if you can’t communicate to it with a controller either via 2.4 ghz or bluetooth.

This is probably a really dumb question (sorry), but how is this different than getting the hc-05 and using the app?

Thanks

2 Likes

@guyguy The app is already compiled and put on the app store. The HC 05 is soldered with all wires needed. Plus, you get to help a member of the forum.

Can we use this to connect to the regular BLDC tool too? Be great to not have to have a usb jack or take the enclosure off every time to make an adjustment

1 Like

Ok - so if I understand the hardware is the same except the wires are soldered on? Just wondering if this hardware has any additional benefit since it’s 3x the cost of HC 05 + wires.

I don’t mind kicking in cash for the app.

I guess you are paying for @evoheyax 's time

So first off, this chip is not the hc 5, it is the adafruit chip. Cost to me buying in bulk is $15.75 per chip plu about a buck per plug, so almost $17. I charge $34 with shipping the us. You will pay $23 from adafruit with shipping, so $11 more for the chip already soldered to a plug, heatshrinked, and ready to go. You also have my service and I have to pay for the app to go into the store. For $11, you don’t have to compile the app, solder, and you have customer service.

4 Likes

What’s the difference between the two? Why didn’t you go with the cheaper Bluetooth module?

1 Like

The HC 05 to my understanding encapsulates data differently for transmission through bluetooth. This means you can’t use an HC 05 with this particular app. I don’t have an HC 05 sitting around to confirm this though, so if anyone who has one and wants to try it out, I would love to see your results.

Besides this, there’s some other differences.

Adafruit manufacturers in New York in the US, while the HC 05 is unclear (and likely china). Adafruit uses a 32 bit processor, while it’s unclear what the HC 05 uses. Adagruit runs on bluetooth 4 Low Energy, while again, no documentation states what version of bluetooth it uses (likely not 4 LE)

Now, this likely won’t mean much of a difference for our application. But this particular app runs with the adafruit perfectly. I have purchased 16 chips so far, and everyone has worked flawlessly without issues. The code is written in objective-c, which is a language I do know (I don’t know swift nor have the time to learn another language right now (already learning 2 new ones to put me up to 13 in total now), so modifying it and re-uses the base structure to make a new app won’t be too hard.