VESC BASED CONTROLLERS - Brakes locking at low speed for larger wheels in FOC - possible Unity Fix

Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately SF weather hasn’t been nice lately so I didn’t get a chance to try it :’(

@deodand can you specify what was the problem with the fix you compiled?

@skatardude10 you said it works great, but according to @Deodand the results were not great, can you elaborate?

BTW when you download the code from github it downloads a lot of files, I wonder if I should only download this file:

VESC_default_no_hw_limits.bin or VESC_default.bin

and flash it with @ackmaniac ESC tool?

1 Like

I tried this fix but I still felt the brakes locking, maybe a tad less, however I had issues with the remote giving some throttle when the trigger was in dead center position, so at the end the trouble was bigger than the fix, I went back to 15% of dead band.

1 Like

Hey man,

The first iteration of Jeff’s fix had some stuttering at the end. The latest version of the fix has no stuttering for me anymore.

I’ve modified Acks firmware (3.102) to include Jeff’s latest fix. If you want that, it can be flashed with Acks ESC tool, just select custom firmware and download your HW version from my git or recompile from source on your own.

Changes to 3.102 listed here if you are interested

4 Likes

Thanks man, I’m downloading at the moment.

What vesion would you suggest?, VESC_default.bin or VESC_default_no_hw_limits.bin for a regular 4.12 Focbox?

1 Like

I go 410 411 412. Default.bin for my focboxes

This version is only if you want to push any settings higher then the max limit set in the standard firmware. For most people its not needed, unless your setup is unusual or you have HUGE power. The standard version has limits on the settings so it is not easy to blow stuff up with a wrong setting while “no hw limits”, has no such limits.

For example you wanted to set your motor current to 250 amps, you can only do that in “no hw limits” version.

I think the FSESC 6.6 needed no_hw_limits in order to function for some reason, note for others trying on that.

1 Like

I’m having these similar issues of wheels on my FSESC Dual 6.6 running BLDC with large 6 inch wheels. Anyone else have these issues?

ok please don’t yell at me but is this where i get the latest unity firmware?

https://github.com/DAddYE/bldc/tree/fix_stop/build_all/60

and do i use this file?

@DAddYE @Deodand

1 Like

No. Enertion’s git hub, only place for the Unity fw

1 Like

Mine is for stock Vesc (Focboxes,Flisky etc)

For unity the FW, was posted by @Deodand

1 Like

where though?

isn’t the firmware a *.bin file?

i see no bin file in either repos.

does it require a build or something?

It’s built-in the focboxUi tool.

Or

You get it here

I see, so does the UI supply all the incremental changes @Deodand has comitted in this thread?

If so, good to know I’m on the latest then.

Thanks!

1 Like

No sorry those changes aren’t going to be pushed until I’ve tested them further.

By the way this issue has been resolved for me after upgrading to the latest official VESC firmware (dual Focboxes spinning 8" wheels).

Previously I would get thrown off just before the board comes to a stop. After the firmware upgrade I can crawl along without having to worry about my wheels locking up anymore.

3 Likes

which firmware? like, which version and where did you source it?

https://vesc-project.com/vesc_tool here

1 Like

so the firmware that comes baked into the latest vesc tool, right? if so, sweet.

2 Likes