Yes, sorry for the delay in response, I’ve been ditzing around with this and have found some interesting things.
The error is not consistent across VESC’s. I have 3 of them (one from Chaka, 2 home built) on various motors and have found that of the ones I’ve tried none of them drive the Tacon correctly, but the one that was consistently generating the over_current error drives Turnigy 5055-280’s just fine but does not drive the Turnigy 6374’s (either 168 or 192).
However, the one I got from Chaka and one of the home built’s drives the 6374’s just fine. So that’s interesting.
So I shelved the Tacon for now so this isn’t all that critical, but I’d still be happy to spend some time diagnosing it for the greater good.
In answer to your questions
The Tacon is a 5335-245KV
the longboards are all 6C LiFePo, but the bench is running 24v lead acid, so should be comparable
the current limit I set was either 35 or 40A both accel and regen. I think I also tried it with the default 60A, but can confirm if need be.
I did run the current detection on the Tacon and set appropriately. I’m running BLDC, not FOC. I think I know what I’m doing since I was able to setup the other motors successfully but it’s possible I don’t know what I’m doing.
Lastly, the Tacon was an unloaded bench test.