DAVEga: Battery monitor, odometer, speedometer

That looks great, @lrdesigns! Unfortunately, the dimensions that you have are wrong. Those are probably for the 2.2" display. For the 2.0", the PCB outline dimensions are 62mm x 38mm.

Also, I’d like to have 3 buttons. Currently only 1 is used (for resetting the trip distance), but looking forward it would be nice to have more available so that menus can be implemented for basic config options.

I’m about to order the PCBs, but I’m still hesitating about the exact positions of the connectors, mainly the 6 pin header for the USB-UART.

Here’s the layout that I currently have:

The DEBUG and VESC holes are meant for right angle JST PH connectors. However, they don’t need to be soldered on. The DEBUG is only for development. And after discussing with @mmaner, we concluded that the cable leading to VESC would be best soldered directly on the bottom of the PCB so that it can be easily routed through the deck. No need for a connector.

So only the position of the USB-UART is critical. 6 pin right angle female headers will go there. This is for updating the FW. With the current position, the header would stick about 1mm out of the PCB and I’m not sure if that’s a good thing.

I can see options there. (1) The header is accessible through the enclosure. Then it should probably stick out of the PCB more than 1mm. What about splash resistance then, though? Would there be some protective cover? Sounds complicated. (2) You need to take the PCB out of the enclosure for programming. Annoying, but probably OK since it wouldn’t be done too often. Then it’s best if the header is flush with the PCB edge. Any thoughts on that?

BTW, since yesterday I have a fried display that I can send out to anyone interested. It may be handy for designing the enclosure.

1 Like

Yes, it’s possible. We just need to figure out the layout. I found it much easier to lay things out in the portrait orientation.

I vote for this option. If you want to program it with the case on and don’t care about water resistance you can just have a hole on the side large enough for the programer to fit?

Yes, I too think that’s better. Let’s keep it simple and we’ll call it version 1. We can always iterate to make it more user friendly.

@mmaner, @moon: What do you guys think?

1 Like

I acidently designed a 2.2 inch enclosure if any one wants that?

image image image

4 Likes

@lrdesigns That’s neat. If I send you the dimensions for the 2.0" display, would you be able to adjust the model for it and share the file? I could then ask a friend to 3D print it for me and test the fit.

1 Like

Sure. The benefits of parametric modeling.

1 Like

@lrdesigns, I hope this helps: ILI9225_TFT_dimensions

Also, the distance between the surface of the PCB and the surface of the display is 2.3mm and the pins on the left hand side come about 1mm above the surface of the PCB, so there’s only ~1.3mm between the top of the pins and the surface of the display.

The center of all holes is 2.5mm from the two nearest edges (not apparent from the diagram for the holes at the right hand side).

Photos:

IMG_1424

IMG_1425

3 Likes

I love all the cooperation going into Dave, this is awesome.

Could someone make a bamboo enclosure please? All this aluminium and plastic is great but I’d totally fork out for a nice bamboo enclosure. Only have to buy the enclosure once right?

3 Likes

Anything can be done :smiley:

I am just trying to figure out viewing angles atm

2 Likes

Off topic, flagged. (Not really btw, when it actually gets flagged I don’t want you to resent me)

1 Like

To late lol

They are on topic in the Secret Santa 2018 thread :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

Could you try and modify it to make it so that that the screen is angled to like maybe 30 degrees (random number) so it would be easier to read the display when riding the board.

Also has anyone thought that this would be a great “dashboard” maybe add a on/off switch and a charge port?

1 Like

that was actually my first idea. But then I decided to try a minimum volume design first. Plus faster to model this way.

1 Like

So something like this? g0KwHUE Actually it would be possible to print a smartphone mount and attach to the trucks bolts. This way one could choose whatever app desired Edit: smartphone-holder-new

2 Likes

That wouldnt be hard but you would probably need to design it for a particular phone first

Oh lol. Now you look like an uber driver

2 Likes

My luck i would be getting calls every time i ride or it would be dead. Built in and powered by the board would be preferred for me at least.

Sounds like a really fun way to lose a phone. While im all for cool things like this and the VEGA (i’m, even getting a proton myself), but I’m really worried about people not being responsible and looking down at the stuff at the wrong time (like looking own at 30mph). Dashboards on cars work because they’re within your field of view and allow you to keep looking straight. Stuff like this should be considered more of a control panel rather than speedometer. Stuff like that should left to things like Helmets or Ar glasses, things that won’t force you to snatch your eyes off the road for a second.

1 Like

We also don’t have rearview mirrors or side mirrors. Quick glances are part of riding safety. Yeah don’t stare at your feet, but unless you’re a complete nob i don’t see this affecting safety.

2 Likes