DAVEga: Battery monitor, odometer, speedometer

You’ve lived there far too long then.

1 Like

@Minim might also have some input to incorporate the display above the baseplate

I’ve discussed this with my extensive marketing team and they agree that Dave is still the best name for this device

6 Likes

Schematic?

2 Likes

@akhlut Here’s the schematic and a draft of the PCB layout (the “PCB v0.1”). Any comments are welcome. My background is not in electronics. I’m a pure hobbyist so there’s likely a lot of room for improvement in the design.

5 Likes

Same. I just like to play.

2 Likes

Where can I find/buy/know what gaskets that will be good for this little project?

1 Like

I’m not sure yet, I haven’t started yet, need measurements and it’s likely to be a couple of weeks before the display and parts get to me.

Once I have aRough XYZ values I can get an idea of what prr-made gaskets will for without much modification and then design the enclosure around that.

It may be easier to make a change in the enclosure for a silicon bead instead. Still too early to tell.

3 Likes

Is the display available on Amazon? I don’t mind paying a bit extra just so I don’t have to order though a Chinese site and wait for shipping.

1 Like

https://www.amazon.com/Display-176x220-ILI9225-Peripheral-Interface/dp/B07HF7WVST/

1 Like

I saw that one but I think it still comes from China so there is a long wait.

1 Like

Thats still weeks for shipping even though its on amazon…

Ooops yah beat me to it!

2 Likes

Oh didnt know that

I should have bought one from Taobao when I had the chance :persevere:

Found it with prime

HiLetgo 2.2" ILI9225 SPI Serial Port 176x220 TFT LCD Module with SD Socket Support 51/ARM/Arduino https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LSG5HI0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_EQtYBbHMD4P7P

Edit I just noticed that link is the 2.2" display don’t buy that one it’s too big.

1 Like

Nope, already tried that, they flagged my post so I deleted it. Different screen/module!!

1 Like

Yeah just noticed damn

I was looking for some dimensions to get started on a case concept. I found this. I assume this is accurate on the hole dimension and that the doughter PCB will have the same hole spacing? Apparently wrong, this is the 2.2" size.

I went ahead and made a quick concept as small as I could make it. It uses a 3mm piece of Acrylic to cover the screen that should be epoxied to the case. Four M3 Socket heads hold it all together and compress an o-ring on the bottom for “water proof” ness. There is still a question about water proof buttons, for the communication cables I would just expoxy / hotglue where they come out the case. The bottom part I did not model yet. The schematic from @janpom showed two buttons that’s why there is two round holes on the side.

Also I am sad to say its going to be too big to fit inside the truck bolt pattern. :roll_eyes:

Bottom side where o-ring goes, then compress by bottom half part not shown.

PCB assembly.

Cross section.

Cross%20Section

All of the vertical dimensions for the PCB’s are just a guess at this point.

Anyone know of some really small waterproof buttons?

*Thought. :thinking: Maybe the case does not need to be two parts with o-ring. Once you confirm it works, fully pot the inside with epoxy and use the 4 bolts to attach it to the deck. Well that is one way to get it done! :thinking: Actually you need to disassemble to re-program it if there is an update to the firmware, so fully potting it would not be good idea.

4 Likes

Make it landscape? Thats what I am going to do if making it landscape is possible @janpom

I am probably going to have mine cnc aluminium - probably cost more than the electronics itself lol

1 Like

Please make it step-onable for us shortboarder :pray:t5:

2 Likes

I think a different design that acts as a foot stop would be dope for my short board

3 Likes