DAVEga: Battery monitor, odometer, speedometer

I guess we don’t need 2 people designing the same thing

Just when I run out of likes for the day :sob:

I think we had the same idea about this. I save after each 100 meters traveled (configurable) or whenever the board comes to a stop. In the latter case, I also check that at least X seconds elapsed since the last save. This is to prevent too frequent EEPROM writes in case the erpm indicate stop-go-stop-go sequences in a very quick succession for whatever reason (this is just a safeguard; I haven’t really noticed that to happen when testing).

1 Like

I’m still down for buying your kit and putting it together my self maybe I’ll even like it better than the Photon one.

Awesome, Ill get them ordered.

I would consider a higher cost. You’ll have to manage a ton of questions, remarks, support, especially every VESC FW update. That deserves a bit more money :wink:

3 Likes

I put the request for a name through a long and arduous testing panel of marketing experts and the answer was unanimous. Dave.

It came to me in 3 seconds while drinking a coffee and watching someone wash my car, because while you’re out there creating amazing content for our community and adding real value to this forum I’m too lazy to even wash my own car :rofl:

I think this qualifies me though.

6 Likes

i’d like one as well, where are you based?

also, for those running mono drives with bt module connected to uart, the vesc gauge would have to take its place, right?

for dual drives, plug the gauge into the controller without bt installed?

I would assume so, but there are some programming changes you have to make to get both bluetooth devices to work. I don’t remember off the top of my head but Ill look it up and post it.

1 Like

That could be, I saw a lot of people doing something similar using a big capacitor on the arduino input so it has time to complete the save, but I guess it only works if you are using an external 5v dc dc converter or the cap may have to be a lot bigger to keep both the logic of both VESC’s on for enough time

Could be, at least in my head a lot less writes will happen doing just when stopping I remember seeing that on FOC the erpm does not goes to zero when stoped, it swings a little bit, may need to pay atention to that

But either way, using your method you would need at least 10000 km to reach the eeprom limit, and from a test I saw they last way more than that

It’s way much more cheap. So why not?

Definitely down for one. I don’t need it to perfect. Speed and bat monitoring is the main thing i want to see without to watch my app or on a remote.

1 Like

I suggest this UI

17 Likes

I’m in Czech Republic. I’m not sure if shipping to you guys in US is worth it. It will likely cost more than the parts. We’ll figure something out.

I’m afraid that’s right.

I think so. I tested it plugged into both the master and slave VESC and both worked just fine. I didn’t have the BT installed in the other one, but I can’t see how that could change anything.

1 Like

I was thinking about the name and while Dave surely sounds tempting, I think I’ll call it VeGa. Sorry @brenternet. Thanks for the suggestion though! :smile:

3 Likes

Whats more cheap? I am happy to design one either way

You’re dead to me.

5 Likes

sounds like you’re working with @mmaner to a get version working for him? if that works out, we can probably assemble them here…?

1 Like

I’m just doing the model for now. After that I’m going to try and get a working prototype, once @janpom gets his PCB’s in.

Once everything is settled, I’m sure we can work out a distribution arrangement with @janpom on his PCB’s and/or kits. Your prolly the guy to do that @thisguyhere

3 Likes

sounds good mike, whatever i can do to help, let me know. would love to try this.

4 Likes