DAVEga: Battery monitor, odometer, speedometer

We also don’t have rearview mirrors or side mirrors. Quick glances are part of riding safety. Yeah don’t stare at your feet, but unless you’re a complete nob i don’t see this affecting safety.

2 Likes

Yes, it’s a good point. My main motivation for making the gadget was to get the odometer and battery monitor. I don’t care that much about the speed and I only added it as a bonus. I’m already thinking of VeGa lite with a smaller display (maybe one of the 128x32 I2C OLEDs) that would only give you the battery status and traveled distance. One that would be small enough to mount on the side of a battery/ESC enclosure. First things first though.

5 Likes

If you do call this Dave I’ll buy one.

3 Likes

I agree, making ports waterproof is almost impossible.

5 Likes

…and you will design my carbon footstop with the integrated casing (on top) for the VeGa batt, odometer, speedometer monitor!

313_Footstop_2009_alpha_011

:point_up_2: . . :point_down:

5 Likes

I realized we don’t actually need any ports on the case and we can still update FW without taking the gadget out of the case. Programming as well as VESC communication is done over UART, so the two connectors connect to the same pins (and there’s an extra reset pin for programming). We can simply solder a 5 conductor cable to the board and Y-split 4 of the wires. Here’s how it looks:

IMG_1427

Works like a charm.

The two JSTs go to VESC (it’s supposed to be a single 8 pin JST that I currently don’t have) and the dupont connector goes to the UART-USB adapter for FW update. (White = green. Don’t ask. :smile: )

A simpler and cleaner alternative would be without the Y split. Instead, connect 4 wires to the 8 pin JST and the fifth reset wire to a 1 pin dupont. Then make an 8 pin JST to 4 pin dupont adapter and connect the 4+1 duponts to the USB-UART adapter for programming. Next time I’ll do it that way.

6 Likes

I think you and I make an overwhelming majority. I feel like a vote is needed.

3 Likes

If you did this perhaps all of the information could be cycled through a single button. That way a very small screen could be used and you could select what is important to you at the time.

I would probably have battery up but if you wanted to monitor you speed you could just push the button and get the speedo up. When you stop you could quickly cycle through odometer, voltage and the other options for that info if you need it.

I’d be more interested in that sort of display than a fat one with everything on.

2 Likes

That is awesome!

This thing looks AWSOME… I can’t wait to buy it/build it

I made a very crude enclosure from cardboard and tape, so that I can better test VeGa (aka Dave) while riding. Before, it would just be sitting in my battery box => no reading while riding.

It’s not pretty but I think it will do.

IMG_1430

DSC01614

DSC01615

10 Likes

Only thing that’s missing is

Please! :smile:

15 Likes

THIS is what is needed. no one will care that you have a little screen that shows you VESC info, but watch people peer in curiosity when you’re at work playing snake on your skateboard

3 Likes

But you have to steer the snake by leaning the board! :rofl:

3 Likes

I’m totally up for it if you keep Dave haha sick little screen for data, top mounted it will look like future despite low res!

Yeaaaaaah. He’s cracking boys. Dave is alive.

Your little mock up came out excellent. How do you think it’ll hold up component wise to 100 miles of road shudder?

2 Likes

told you it was an english thing.

2 Likes

VeGa is on GitHub: https://github.com/janpom/vega

4 Likes

The device is also known (or, rather, incorrectly referred to) as Dave by some people, which is pretty annoying, especially since it seems to begin to catch and having to rebrand is no fun!

:rofl::rofl::rofl: @brenternet @spesh

2 Likes

Technically the real name Dave was discussed before the assumed name vega. Which means an unnecessary re-brand has already happened

7 Likes