Vedder's VESC 6.0

need pics or explanation of the wire connection between the receiver and controller VESC 6, like how do I connect to the UART from a 6 pin receiver?

Its a ppm cable. See those three little metal prongs sticking up in the corner of the pcb?

its not a ppm its 6 pin UART, the VECS 6 has a 5 pin and an 8 pin connector

Which vesc 6? Does the 6 not use ppm anymore?

It does but i have a Photon remote I want to use, however am confused as to how it works on the VECS 6, if at all? Do you have a VECS 6?

No but weā€™re good. Show me pictures of your remote, receiver and vesc please.

https://www.trampaboards.com/vesc-6-complete--vedder-electronic-speed-controller-trampa-exclusive-p-24166.html

1 Like

Gotcha. So Iā€™m not familiar with the remote as I use the Mini. Bit Iā€™m sure you could do a general search here and find out. Try something like, photon vesc 6 wiring. Add diagram if your ballsy lol.

Nothing, either no one uses this combo or they just havenā€™t posted about it. Iā€™ll start a new thread.

Funny cause searching exactly what I told you brought this upā€¦ Screenshot_2018-11-21-04-14-39

Thatā€™s a different receiver to the one I got, I could be mistaken but I think this is the older version, the new version, mine, doesnā€™t look like that.

Fair enough. How ever if you search photon vesc 6 wiring, the second thread, as this thread will be the first, is the threat for the photon remote. Read through that thread. If you donā€™t find your answer, ask your question there as well.

Are pins SL_A, SL_B and SL_C directly tied to ground coming from the DRV8301 chip?

Check the schematic

Thanks for the reply, Iā€™ve checked the schematics, there it seems that these pins are connected to ground. All SL pins are going to the Sources of the fets. See attached image. 10

I want to know if these pins can thus be directly tied to ground from the DRV8301.

Point might be that the source need to tied relativly close to those ports on the DRV, no matter jag if theyre ground in General

Hmm that will be a tough one since Iā€™m designing a vesc 6 with only two layers. So the entire bottom is GND with signal lines crossing. So it isnā€™t possible to run a trace to the source that easy.

Ahm if you have these questions, I suggest to stop and do some research for like about designing current/voltage sense paths and etc stuffā€¦ Because they are really important and will cause so major issues with sensing currents/voltages on the shunts and drive stages.

Id recommend a 4 layer design on the VESC6 to keep it in a relative good size. As @Kug3lis said, the current sense amplifiers need identical paths for optimal performance, also. Your going to have a hard time doing the Power stage with 2 layers only. I dont agree with kugelis on stoppning tho. Learning experience is always a good one. But dont be too dissapointed if you run into problems :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well I am suggesting to stop just because spending money on not working PCB it is not fun :slight_smile: But if you donā€™t mind spending some money on some steps until success when yeah go ahead the best experience is learning from mistakesā€¦ Talking from experiences :smiley: