Vedder's VESC 6.0

I guess you need a STLink. Just follow the “How to” on vedder.se (or on this forum).

Firmware uploaded, was easier than I thought. Used an STlink from ebay (connected the 4 pins VCC included and did not destroy the LM3671 DC-DC converter). Plugged in the usb cable and vesc tool recognised it straight away. Sweet.

5 Likes

Looks quality with the directFETs, I’m looking forward to how your VESCs perform :slight_smile:

Thanks. I’m looking forward too. I will post it here, but only in early October after getting back from holiday :slight_smile:

1 Like

Curious, what was the total cost of making this?

The components are about £50, it can be cheaper if you don’t populated some parts like the wireless transceiver or if you order free samples from STMicroelectronics and TI. Plus the PCB. You also need a heatsink for the FETs. It is worth it considering the original price tag :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Exactly why I asked. Still, gotta count R&D and the TM :slight_smile: In your case, the time spent designing the PCB layout is also valuable.

Wow. at this rate your gonna be getting many many customers. My Vesc 6 just blew ( bad cap ) so its definitely a tempting offer if its going to be around the £100 mark!

3 Likes

$150 And I’d still buy 2.

@stewii, I don’t get where you got the schematics ? I am looking carefully for them, but didn’t notice that it was already released.

So if you have it, I have a (noob) electronic question for you : One of my VESC 6 is connected via UART to an Arduino, they share GND. But I need to reference the PWM signal of a led driver to the Arduino GND. For that I have to connect battery (-) (which is Vin of led driver) to Arduino GND. So finally I’ve gote : VESC GND <-> Arduino GND <-> Battery (-).

Is it something “dangerous” to have a loop like this ? On HW4.12, VESC GND is connected to battery (-) if I’m right so should be ok, right ?

Thanks for your help (asked that on Vedder forum but no answer :confused: )

Vesc 6.4 not connecting to pc through usb any help guys please dont know what to do !!!

problem fixed bad usb ha ha so simple , i did try 2 first that did not work 3rd time lucky i guess. I bet a few people have encountered this .

Hi,

In DC applications minus is considered “GND” or ground, meaning the potential 0.

However, if your application uses minus voltages( f.e -12V) it is no longer the potential 0 anymore and not GND ( in other words an independant voltage rail).

To answer your question, no. No danger with the “loop”.

//Linus

Thank you to confirm that ! Yes, I know about DC conventionbut as the VESC 6 was a black box (was, becayse I found schematics, thanks to @ThierryGTLTS), so I wanted to confirm there weren’t no “floating” ground or something. For instance, Vedder strongly recommends to not use PPM Y adapter because it may fry 3.3V DC/DC converter because current may flow through GND between both VESC. I don’t want that happening on mines. :wink:

Can you share the schematics ? Or are they still kinda secret ?

Sorry to hear that. Should be an easy fix thou if no other component is damaged. For £100 or 150 USD I might do it. But need to see if my design runs well first.

3 Likes

Sounds good. But I need to test my pcb first :slight_smile:

I downloaded from here http://vedder.se/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=590&start=10

Scroll down and you will see a PDF. Regards the rest no problem at all. Battery - is ground on vesc 6 too.

2 Likes

Thank you. I think I will wait for someone to share the PCB. Designing such a PCB is beyond my ability. I can solder it, but not design it :slight_smile:

How long does it take to solder all the components to a PCB? Just curious.