Vedder's VESC 6.0

Benjamin is still on holidays. The test bench will get its update very soon. We need to nail the VESCs in one hit, otherwise it’s to time consuming. People want their boards being made the same day they order and everyone is already at the limit. We are a small company and try our best to get the goods to the customer veey very fast. The US customers are always surprized to recieve their boards four days after purchase! We need to nail all orders till 14:30 to get them out the same day. This is why we set up a system to handle the VESCs efficiently on a test bench. The test bench doesn’t start VESC-Tool. So the staff has no chance to do do the job. Everyone got a mail, so they know they need to do that additional click on “upload bootloder”. Not perfect but not tragic… We will sort that out ASAP.

The issue has a positive effect as well: It forced Benjamin to implement the boot loader upload. Everyone with a HW 4.xx having no boot loader aboard can now simply update the missing boot loader.

Frank

5 Likes

Nice feature to have! I can confirm, final testing is time consuming. Would be nice to have an automated tester to run the vesc through a firmware upload/bootloader test. Right now I am still testing the bootloader manually on each VESC before running a motor test. It is tedious!

Benjamin can send you the same software we use. It will be the standard in future. We are the test bench for the test bench.

Frank

2 Likes

I have 1 VESC 6.0 for sale

http://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/vesc-6-0-eu-300/29666

1 Like

Hi,

a question that i couldnt find answered until now.:

Is a antispark (switch) recommended with the VESC6 or maybe even “onboard”?

and where are detailed infos on the VESC6 like: max rated Amps, measurements, uF of the Caps,…

greets

Notger

A switch is not integrated. So you need to buy one of you want one. Max continuous Amps are 80A, depending on your cooling. I have to look up the exact caps value (I think it’s 2x 680uF). They sit just next to the FETs /power stage, which helps a lot.

Frank

1 Like

so will the quick and rough precharge of the 5,8ohm inbuild resistor in XT90-Antispark be ok or do you recommen a “FET-based slow precharge”

2x 680uF does not sound that much for 80A continuous ?

and @Trampa are currently availeable VESC6’s still “beta” or do you call it “stable” now ??

They are stable. The caps are fine, no one will push 80A continuous on a skateboard. There are applications putting a lot more strain on the caps. The design of the power stage and cap integration has a very big impact on the strain you put to the caps. Benjamin has a video online, showing the caps heat under load. The power stage of VESC six is magnitudes better than on HW 4.xx.

XT 90 works. A power switch with FETs is a very good option. I would still use a XT90 loop key in addition.

Frank

Without a lot of setting up they don’t feel much different to the improved 4s But the ability to go 12s eMTB is reason enough to go with these. Along with the feature of what the VESC does when the control loses connection. I’m currently at 12s @80A (iirc) with dual VESC (can) using Leopards 8072 175kv

2 Likes

wait, i’m not sure if i understand what you are saying but it sounds interesting :wink:

• the improved 4s is what ? (does it mean → you changed from VESC4. to VESC6 or from 8s to 12s) cause you could have done that with the VESC4 too
  • also the VESC4 with newest firmware was able to go with 12s ? so whats different ?
  • holy shit,… really… you use 80A constant and no problems with overheating - whow if,… then they are pretty amazing → do you life in a flat or hilly/mountain area ?

Our v1.1 ESC formerly known as VESC can power an eMTB without any trouble. It can match the VESC 6 in throughput. You are really only using 45 amps max for any extended period of time on an eboard of any type during hard acceleration. Sure we get some spikes during initial takeoff but they are momentary. Of course, I could be wrong but my testing and record keeping shows we never use much more than 2000-2500 watts max with a 200# rider.

1 Like

Heres some Question that just came up for me today when finishing my Trampa-magura-Servo-brake.

I use a HV-Servo with 2slipos so max 8,4Volts. my Gt2B receiver takes that 8,4 Volts quite well as it seems (cause its max is rated to 6Volts)

So what about the PPM in of the VESC (6 and 4.12) will i get troubles if i plug the PPM cabel into a HV (8,4Volts max) receiver ??

greets

Gernot

Going above the max rating of anything is not recommended. But you know that :slight_smile: If you are powering your receiver externally with a receiver pack then you would remove the red wire going to the vesc and tape it off safely. Normally the vesc would power the receiver with 5 or 6 volts. I can’t see it liking 8.4v.

I was wondering if the VESC6 will be able to run 240KV motors at higher voltage that the older 4.12 version. Will 240KV with 10S (or even 12S) be possible and safe ?

Is there a update to when vesc tool will go public

The ERPM limit is not an issue any more. Up to 150K ERPM is fine. A 240KV Motor is no issue at all.

Frank

Wow, 150k?! so you guys solved drv issue? amazing

There is no DRV issue any more. That is a matter of the past. Since we made the first prototypes, till today, we have not burned a single device. Rock solid. Frank

2 Likes

Soon. It’s in Benjamins hands. Frank

1 Like

Sorry the “improved 4s” was in relation to VESC4 (plural). Meaning Chaka’s improved FET version and enertion’s FOCBOX? (formerly VESC-X) Sorry if I got names wrong, I honestly don’t remember the names. Not all VESC4 would be able to regardless of firmware, I’m sure chaka’s would, I have one of his on my 10s board, but it was never “supported” so I never risked it, I’ve never had a problem with his 80A wouldn’t be constant, it’s just the limit set in the VESC itself. I live in a hilly area and I have no problem getting up or down any of them, even when my battery was running low I could still cruise up an extremely hill at about 40km/h