Vedder's VESC 6.0

I July. Mid to end of July. I’ll try to get an estimated arrival date.

Frank

2 Likes

Thanks 10char

Thanks Benjamin and Tramp for this work !

All I am missing is trampa electric KICK SCOOTER FROM HELLLLLLLLLLLLLL

@trampa Have you and “Big V” concidered making a stripped down lower quality VESC 6. Something that can only handel 6S or 8S maybe. The question came to me when I was shopping for a cheap ESC (that wont blow up in my face) as I want to build a cheap E-Pennyboard for going around my local highstreet instead of using my new (Powered by the VESC6) speedster as the VESC is still a bit pricey for a budget build.

Plus I absolutely love the new VESC Tool, its a very nice peice of work.

Why is Vedder not writing in this forum ??

He has his own forum.

2 Likes

Correct! And he has very limited time. He can’t get lost in conversation.

Frank

11 Likes

Its a Holy (Pro) Board. Funky helmet BTW.

Frank

2 Likes

a quick opportunity to provide feedback. The VESC 6 performs flawlessly. The VESC tool is really great and the wizards addition also a good move for all the people that are getting into VESC. I’m really impressed how strong these bad boys are. 12S FOC dual 6374; silent and bulletproof. I’ve been using this in all terrain and in urban.

I need now to be able to report data of my rides, but I’m really happy.

2 Likes

The place where Inception was shot. Very easily recognized.

2 Likes

@trampa what’s the status of the VESC-tool. When will it be available and will non vescs (v4.xx) be supported still

VESC-Tool fro 4.xx is out for betas. Benjamin will go on holidays soon and will be back mid of August. After the holidays the release will happen. This way we get more feedback from VESC 4.xx users and Benjamin has time to answer questions that will arise once the software is available. So we are 4-5 weeks away from a release.

Frank

4 Likes

@trampa Frank, Is there still a way to apply for the beta (VESC-Tool 4.XX) ?

2 Likes

Just to confirm the new VESC Tool works great with 4.xx hardware. I’ve configured two VESC 4.7, and one 4.12 w/o issue.

All updated to 3.25/3.26 fw (not sure exactly since not in front of me), the 4.12 running FOC (149kv 8s).

Wizards are stupid simple and make it so much easier. Even fixed both 4.7 which were missing bootloaders. No STLink needed (but good to have just in case).

Have a 4th to configure as soon as i get a moment - for my GF’s board. Think i’m moving her to FOC as well (192kv 8s).

2 Likes

Do you know what changed firmwarewise for the Vesc 4s? I am kind of hoping that the real contribution by Vedder is not even the new 6 hardware but the changes he made to the firmware - no matter the Vesc version

@sl33py have you tried running FOC on 10S or 12S with the new VESC Tool?

1 Like

Hopefully not completely off topic, does involve VSEC 6, so we’ll see… Any fundamental reason that the VSEC 6 would not be able to drive a single LARGE hub, and I mean larger than those used on skateboard, or even mountainboards, about 200mm total wheel, stator likely about 70-80mm?

You’re probably thinking “how can he possibly ask such a question without including specs of the motor!??” And you’re right. Probably should wait until I have it and have measured everything. I have cheapy HK car escs to test with and intend to determine max current draw at 0 RPM WOT torque, so should know more soon.

But figured I might ask anyway, there might be something fundamental to the VSEC 6 that would prohibit it’s use for larger hub motors. Something that would mean that even if I limited the current in software, if I had massive batteries to soak up regen current spikes, if I had alu/acetone heat pipes attached to active sinks to keep it super cool, even with all that maybe I should be looking elsewhere for a controller for such a massive wheel.

P.s. love this forum, I haven’t built anything yet, but have read pretty much every post! Even the commercial arguments with the guys trading and manufacturing are fascinating, such a good community.

1 Like

Maybe I should include the basics that I do know (haven’t had delivery from mysterious Chinese supplier yet), I believe these are well within VSEC capabilities: I intend to run at 10-12s, maximum continuous (>60s) power draw of 300W, so about 7A, perhaps 40A at start up. I don’t know stator count or winding topology, so cannot calculate ERPM, but even with lots of stators the wheel is so large that at 15mph (max speed) I cant imagine ERPM will be >60k.

I just worry as there is mention on these forums of large motor instability and if that might be a result of stator counts then maybe I’m way off looking at VSEC. I just like all the features and the quality. The fact that the electronics are well understood by the community etc.

1 Like

@dannyboy - yes. You sound like you are doing e-bike stuff. VESC has been used frequently for this running large hub motors for e-bikes.

VESC Six will remove the 60k ERPM limit and has been tested around 150k ERPM from what i’ve heard and seen on Benjamin’s test videos.

I would suggest looking at the ebike section of ES as they will have a ton of experience to help you. Assuming you are thinking bike and not something else.

Added benefit of 6 will be more constant current capacity vs v4.xx.

GL!