Urban Beast | Longboard / MTB Hybrid | 10s4p Li-Ion | Single Tacon 160 | Chain Drive | Ongoing Build Log

The one week build is finally finished and ready for extensive beach testing tomorrow :grinning:

9 Likes

Looks sick! Canā€™t wait to see how it works out. Those gears are HUGE so let us know any rock/impact issues? with chain maybe not as much of an issue. Shoot some videos if you can.

Great build man - hope it rides well. Are you going to add the foot bindings like @okpā€™s spud?

Probably freebord bindings

Iā€™m using an 80T wheel-side sprocket because Iā€™m using such a high kv motor (245kv). I still expect it to hit 20-25mph at WOT. The 45T on my 6s build (Project Paragon) is less than half the size :joy:

1 Like

i really love this, superfunky looks! hope it rides well too :smiley:

also hope your chain wont jump, you have only very few motor pulley teeth in the chain due to the wide angle of the chain ends! fingers crossed :slight_smile:

1 Like

I rode it for about two minutes around my yard and no skipping chain so far (after removing a half link that I didnā€™t need). I wonder how well itā€™ll fare on some hard braking.

Side note: the stock firmware on this esc (fvt maytech 12s 120a esk8 esc) is a lot more tame than the stock firmware on my 6s fvt120a (car esc). It still has a lot of torque, but the board wonā€™t throw you off the back if you gun the throttle (I wouldnā€™t mind a more aggressive throttle though).

Didnā€™t work well on the sand, but it was a blast everywhere else and I got this beautiful picture. It also turns better than my other e-mtb so the angle brackets are a success!

10 Likes

The throttle curve is pretty nice on that ESC. How do you like the brakes?

Throttle curve is nice, but a little docile for my taste (for starting on hills). Brakes work well, but it feels like theyā€™re either on or off; I donā€™t think the control on them is proportional.

Yup. Pretty much on or off. One of the firmwares I have make the brakes a little more docile.

1 Like

Can I ask a huge favor of you? Could you take two measurements off that deck? One of the wheelbase and another of the inside of the wheel/fender cutouts? It would be extremely helpful. I want this board but my enclosure may be too big. How did the flat enclosure form to the concave? My enclosure is 19.5 inches long.

1 Like

It was pretty tough to get my enclosure fit to the tub concave. I think it depends on how big the lip on your enclosure is and how much of the depth of the enclosure you use. My battery pack was pretty wide, so I didnā€™t have room for much of a lip on my enclosure. I compensated with some waterproof foam lining for windows (from Home Depot) and It worked very well. As for the dimensions: Between the wheel wells: 17in Wheelbase using the further rear truck mount (measured between the center of the holes): 21in

Best of luck with your build.

Thanks for the help! Iā€™ll either have to choose another board or make another enclosure. All good.

1 Like

No problem. Better than getting everything and finding out it wonā€™t fit :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Hi there! Really nice boardā€¦ I think you would win a place in a competition for the ā€˜ā€˜unordinaryā€™ā€™ looking boards, since it is custom made and no other 8ā€™ā€™ wheel board Iā€™ve seen is this short in lenght :slight_smile:

Anyways - I had a question - do you have enough clearance for the sprocket from the ground? I know e-longboarders are having their pulleys very close to the ground but their terrain is usually flat surfacesā€¦ so I wondered does it make a difference like hitting objects with the sprocket / chain or notā€¦

Perhaps not as big of an issue for chain driveā€¦ but could be worse for belt drive, I thinkā€¦ although have not seen / made any tests how much impact it can make if your sprocket constantly hits little objects on the road :slight_smile:

ā€“

If I were you with access to a cnc machine, I would have designed the mount where the motor comes a little bit more customized, something like this:

I think you could have cut out little ā€˜ā€˜half circlesā€™ā€™ in between, where motor screw rails come. Now with the motor being also so round in shape, it sometimes make the mount stand out more than the motor :slight_smile:

Although it is up to you and you were the design creator, so these are just my thoughts on how it would have looked nice, if I were machining the mount :slight_smile: perhaps you can implement this design in the next builds / motor mounts if you plan on doing more :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi was just wondering where you got your chain and sprockets?

This is awesome. Whatā€™s the angle for mounting the trucks?

So far no issues with the large wheel sprocket, Nice weight saving technique for the motor mount, but I left the extra beef because it seems to act as a heatsink (I wasnā€™t sure how hot the single motor would get while going uphill for an extended period of time).

Iā€™m going to look into getting a CNC machine soon; Iā€™ve been having my parts made overseas.

eBay lol The chain is 25 size

35 degrees :slight_smile: