Urban Beast | Longboard / MTB Hybrid | 10s4p Li-Ion | Single Tacon 160 | Chain Drive | Ongoing Build Log

Well, the forum won’t let me update the first post so here’s an update: After lots of limitations and unforeseen issues, I had to revise the plan.

Final Specs: 2016 Jet Potato 29in deck

Maytech rebranded FVT 12s 120a esc with the nice aluminum heatsink/enclosure (it comes in red so I may strip the anodizing to match my deck)

custom abs enclosure made by Psychotiller

Tacon 160 245kv

12v switch

BEC that outputs 12v

12v loud buzzer (this will be used as a horn; it’s a lot bigger than the piezo buzzers used on multirotors)

Turnigy receiver controlled switch

USB port (for charging things)

“Hoverboard” 10s charger and charging port

Channel (spring) trucks

Ground Industries MAK tires with Terraintula carbon fiber and aluminum hubs

Bestech D205 10s BMS

40x LG HE4 cells

20x Dual 18650 holders

Capacity meter (the one most people are using)

80T sprocket

10T sprocket

25 Size chain

Custom CNCed 35 degree wedges and motor mount

This build must and WILL be completed this week

Here is where I’m at (10s4p battery pack with the BMS, USB charger, switches, charge port, and capacity display fully functional):

It’ll still be an urban beast, but with a 29in deck, Mini Monster may be a more appropriate name.

8 Likes

I’m just waiting on the deck and custom aluminum parts to come in…

First ride is set for tomorrow :wink:

5 Likes

How much did the battery and cover cost all up?? That looks nice and I have the same board :slight_smile:

40x LG HE4 cells: $125 20x Dual 18650 holders: $40 BMS: $55 = $230 On next battery, I’ll do some cell level fusing and solder the whole thing (that’ll cut 40 bucks off the cost).

For an enclosure, hit up @psychotiller He does a great job. He has a lot of designs on his site, and he’ll do custom enclosures to your specs.

2 Likes

5 Likes

Looking good! Let me know how you like that ESC. I have a bunch of firmware files for you to try, if you like.

1 Like

I’ll like to try some of those firmware you have. Just got a couple of this one.

Thanks! When I connected this esc to the fvt usb link and clicked “read settings” nothing showed up (except for “ok” on the bottom right). I’d love to try out some new firmware.

Hmm…Maybe Maytech loaded their own firmware? Did they say this should work with the FVT USB Link and FVT firmware? The firmware I have is directly from FVT.

Maybe. I’ll ask them tonight.

You might also have an older version of the software program. Where did you download it from?

V1.0 downloaded from rcjuice

Yup! Same here.

woa, that looks extreme!! curious how this will ride, quite an experiment, nice job! :relaxed:

since its meant for urban, maybe try trampa/mtb or the freebord bindings that I got on my spud - think that could make this beast even more fun for stairs & co!

Thanks! I’m definitely thinking of freebord bindings. Trampa decks are nice, but the camber kills my feet, so I think this is the next best thing.

Well I hit a bit of a road block. The cnc shop forgot to thread the two holes that hold the motor mount together. I got a tap kit to thread the holes myself, but the tap broke inside the hole. Only thing left to do is fix that, so I could mount the motor.

:open_mouth:

and I thought I was the only guy in the world with that issue. I just couldnt ride my trampa for very long - at least not in a touring carving way. wondering if I bought the wrong flex or something, but according to trampa the middle holypro should have been fine for my weight.

sorry for the tap incident, thats pretty annoying and sounds really hard to fix with just drilling the hole again through the tap - think these things are really hard. :confused:

1 Like

Dude, get concentrated nitric acid and leave motor mount inside for couple hours, it should dissolve tap, aluminum will form aluminum oxide on it’s surface and won’t etch further. You’re welcome :wink:

4 Likes

Thanks for the tip! I couldn’t get any nitric acid, but some more milling did the trick. I’ll try it next time though.

Edit: AUW for this build is 18lb