Upgrading an Evolve GT battery with 18650 Lithium Ion batteries

@Fiori fit 10S5P in a CarbonGT. Well, almost. The BMS was mounted above the back trucks

1 Like

Thanks for sharing this, I cannot stress how valuable it is to me because I will try to swap every bit of electronics as well as battery inside of my bamboo GT. It was my first ever electric board enjoyed it a lot but it has poor quality battery and a Bms. Range dropped to 7km also sags from %100 to %50ish on hard acceleration, BMS is shot so I thought I might as well swap everything with better quality parts. Going to use 2 focboxes, Samsung 30Qs, custom made remote and supower 60A bms.

I couldnā€™t change the BMS on my board, it seems my bms is also shot and evolve wonā€™t sell me a BMS on its own, they request to have the board on their facilities to perform any repair service, of course shipping my board to USA or Australia from PerĆŗ is no option at all, nearly impossible.

On the other hand if you decide to use a different bms, you will loose the ability to change modes and could be stuck on Eco mode as the BMS is the one that controls the power delivery and speed

Yes thatā€™s what Iā€™m told about using a different BMS. That is the reason for changing vescs and the remote too. I may change the board, motors and drivetrain etc. in the future aswell but one step at a time thatā€™s gonna be my first build. I wanna see how it goes, I hope I donā€™t blow anything up :smile: going to use precious information on this topic and the forum aswell. Thanks again for sharing.

sounds like you need to swap out all of the electronics.

Get an extra 20$ bestech bms is worth it

Iā€™m afraid already ordered, gonna try to use this old heatsink salvaged from my old graphics card. I ll see how it goes

2 Likes

You need to publicly call-out Evolve on reddit and all social media channels for this. Their image is more important to them than even their boards and frankly, this is horse shit.

ā€œEvolve wonā€™t sell me parts to fix my broken Evolveā€

can you please elaborate the extension abit more as im at total loss about how to execute this whole process. for example what did you use with the fiberglass? epoxy resin, polyester resin or something else?

Heyā€¦ Iā€™m from India tooā€¦ Do you ride electric skateboards?

So this is my evolve skateboard adapted Indian style. If anyone wonders why I did this, I couldnā€™t take the battery in the plane. Itā€™s 3 12v batteries originally used in UPS devices. I get a bit less range but otherwise works fine.

2 Likes

see my last postā€¦

Damn, those are some heavy ass lead acid batteries. Not a bad setup if its temporary, although putting the batteries in the middle might have been another option.

I had them in the middle at first and found that having them in the back made it a bit more comfortable. It is temporary, the nice part is those batteries cost me only around 50 usd.

Nice, thats a good setup. You could have also bought one of those hover-board batteries directly shipped from china to India. Would have cost you about same but equal to size of just one of those.

Awesomeā€¦ I love the Giant Wheels 8" size(I think)ā€¦ and where did you get the long Hanger trucks??

Also are you from MUMBAI?

These are My 2 skateboardsā€¦

This is the Skateboardā€¦ These are the pics of the Longboard

Longboard has a 40" deckā€¦ and Skateboard has 31" deck with kicktails.

1 Like

Does anyone have a good photo or drawing of where the balance leads go on the pack. Iā€™m starting a build soon and thatā€™s the only thing Iā€™m unclear on. Thanks !!

This is what I wrote when Bamboo GT battery modify. evolve_BMS

3 Likes

@esk8jpn thank you ! Exactly what I was looking for

Hey Esk8jpn. Is your diagram correct? Shouldnā€™t the balance leads be reversed? #10 should be #1, right?