Unknown Hall error: 255

sorry about the drawing. it’s not that accurate regarding the position of the wires. It only shows which wires I connected.

you only see 5 wires becuase the motor sensor only has 5. I skipped the temp wire.

@bullrider12 I am just curious if you have a wiring diagram for your motor hall sensors. Or something that is assigning the 5V, GND, H1, H2, H3 and possibly temp to the colors of the cables coming out of your motor. Or if you connected it just based on the colors. I am asking because often times manufacturers dont connect motors based on the regular normalization which is red=positive and black=negative. I have seen some motors that had the white as positive.

I’ve used the 140kv variant of this motor and redid the hall plug and it worked fine both in bldc hybrid and FOC.

Double check the temp pin on vesc (usually it’s next to the 5v) and make sure you skip that.

@Martinsp This is the wiring schematic.

@egzplicit on the vesc connector the +5V is the green wire. So according to this picture, it goes to the outer side of the connector. Am I right?

I added a hopefully proper schematic of my wiring. :slight_smile:

That looks like it is correctly wired, and yes the 5V is near the hole in the PCB/corner of the PCB.

What you should do is: while the board is off unplug the sensor connector and connect external power supply of some kind (5V) to the hall sensor connector plug (phase wires dont matter now, you can leave them plugged in to the VESC) according to your connection to 5V and GND. No power should go to the hall signal output (yellow white blue). that would destroy the halls. Now connect a multimeter GND/black probe to negative of the powersupply and positive into one of the three hall sensor outputs, be carefull not to short anything (yellow, white or blue) and see what you get when you rotate the motor very slowly. You might have different values than me but important is that the values are not fluctuating when you are not rotating the motor. What I get is 0.00V in one position and when I rotate the motor a little bit (rotate it just enough that there is the next magnet facing the hall sensor) I get 0.12V. Try this with all of the three sensor wires (yellow white blue) and report back with the results. If you have any more questions feel free to ask.

Hmm, he already did the hall sensor test today. And why it should be 0.12 volt? I tested it and it is 5 or 0 volts between positve wire and sensor wire or 5 or 0 volts between minus and sensor wire. depends which magnet pole is next to the sensor.

I did this with the vesc turned on and I got either 5 or 0 volts.

@yaca you already answered to this :smiley:

I missed the fact that he did the test, sorry.

It depends on what sensors you use, I used just some random sensors I had at that time so they are not very commonly used. The VESC works perfectly fine however. I said that you/he might get different values, It all depends on the halls used. The important part is that you/he should not get values jumping around/fluctuating because that might make the ESC do bad things (cogging etc.) due to incorrect readings.

Okay I see what you did there. The values aren’t jumping around. they are pretty constant :slight_smile:

I thought this would be the case since the hall detection in FOC worked, just wanted to make sure it is not wiring issue. I had some random bad detections using the 3.1FW. So try doing the detection a couple more times maybe it will register it. Also make sure that the low dutycycle marked as “D:” is as low as you can get it. Click the ? in the VESC-tool for additional information.

Where can I find this? I got another question regarding the combination of the phase wires. Do I have to detect and apply the new settings before trying another combination?

With the VESC combination of the phase wires does not matter while doing detection since the VESC detects the table. Once you apply and set the VESC up to work in hybrid/sensored mode you can not swap the phase wires without doing detection again.

1 Like

Okay, because my method was to do a motor detection and see if the hall sensors are detected. Once it fails, i switched two phase wires and did another detection and so on.

@bullrider12 you don’t neee to match the colours of the hall sensors, they can be in any order as long as you don’t plug one in the temperature slot. The diagram looks good but don’t bother matching the order because it doesn’t matter. Detection will figure out the order on its own.

1 Like

@egzplicit yeah I thought so too, but I wanted it to look good in my eyes that’s why I wired yellow to yellow and white to white and so on ^^

1 Like

@Martinsp I tried to adjust the low duty cycle from 0,01 to 0,05 and got the same failure.

it still displays the error message?

yeah sadly. It shows me Unknown Hall Error :255

If I do the param_detect in the vesc Terminal it gives me following results: Cycle integrator limit: 118.39 Coupling factor: 859.43 Hall sensor detection failed: -1, 3, 5, 4, -1, 2, 1, -1

Maybe we can do something with those values.

Have you ever used a different FW successfully with hall sensors? Because I think that -1 is an incorrect value, the rest seem correct.

No I never had a hall sensor in previous FW. I thought it could be a FW issue too, but now I need to know which FW i can use to test.

I mean besides the outer -1, there are 5 values that seems to be correct. I got only 5 wires so I assume that the -1 in the middle is the temp wire. So in my opinion it should work ^^