Universal Advanced VESC Remote Control (Photon) - Custom design

Hi Wajdi, thats what I was hoping for, information :smiley: Actually if you had written that before I wouldnā€™t have wanted the refund. The lack of communication, the sudden ā€œout of stockā€ on the website and the negative feedback from others had driven me there :slight_smile: And yes, I should have written you a direct email first but since you advertised on this forum and used it for documentation of progress it was my first thought to contact you here. I still believe that your remote is the ultimate one, so see that you restock and Iā€™ll be the first one in line :smiley: I even got some led strip for it in addition to my regular headlights.

In bench testing the connection seems to be solid now!

But now the reverse function doesnā€™t work anymore.

When pressing the top button and full throttle at the same time the wheels start gaining speed really slowly, but not in reverse.

It seems Rev. does the same as Cruise. But Cruise doesnā€™t let you lower the speed while holding the button. Rev. does let you lower your speed while pressing the button.

I think I found a bug;

With V.max @ 4.20 and V.min @ 3.00 the battery percentage according to the board @ 33.00 V is 5%. Which is quite different from what the Android Ackmaniac monitoring tool gives me and my board itself says on itā€™s display.

Changing V.min to 2.00 with 33.00 V gives me 8% battery, which is still less then what my board itself and the Android Ackmaniac monitoring tool gives me.

Something isnā€™t right with the formula or calculation.

I just tested both cruise and reverse functions, they work fine. When you have the trigger set to reverse, you only press it once to change direction, when set to cruise, you keep holding the button to maintain speed, push throttle up to increase speed, and down to decrease speed.

Regarding the battery percentage, what the Photon is telling you is the closest to reality. The Photon uses typical li-ion cell discharge curve to estimate your percentage left. The curve is similar to this

Which neither your battery monitor nor the app I believe do.

that discharge curve looks a bit too exagerated // Rather +2C discharging or even a LiFepo cell

Look for a dischrage chart for a lipo cell that fits your Cā€”rating

Im not using that one, just an example image I quickly found online.

1 Like

Iā€™ve tested the remote under normal riding conditions today and the update seemed to have done the trick, not a single disconnect or hickup!

The reverse function still acts exactly like ā€˜cruiseā€™. Iā€™m able to slowly ramp up or ramp down my speed in Rev. When switching to ā€˜Cruiseā€™ it wonā€™t let me decellarate though. Maybe itā€™s something in my focbox settings. Iā€™ll look into it the next time I open up my board.

V0.53 + V0.4

Sweet, glad the update fixed the connection issues. And yes I agree, perhaps a configuration issue with the reverse, check your nunchuck control and see if its set to current control without reverse.

1 Like

Hey sir! Since youā€™re planning on stopping the development on this remote did you think about open sourcing the firmware?

1 Like

Setting ā€˜control Typeā€™ to ā€˜Currentā€™ in the Nunchuk tab did the trick!

The mode ā€˜Cruiseā€™ on the remote now also ramps up and down fine.

I am about to throw this thing in to a low earth orbit. I am trying to update the firmware to .53 and .4(both downloaded) has dropped out and frozen up multiple times. So far I have downloaded windows x64 and x86 and Arduino adafruit etc. I have found the device in device manager. Uninstalled and reinstalled via browse file and finding the Arduino file. But windows saying no can do because itā€™s not x64 file. I guess thatā€™s why I have already downloaded and setup x86. Not that I know what any of this shit means anyway. Not interested in coding Arduino and com port BS just wanted to ride my F&$@ing Esk8! Can someone help?

Iā€™ll give you 50$ for it :wink:

4 Likes

Have you tried running windows update? Let it go through all update cycles. It should find the correct drivers itself.

Ill give you $30 for your receiver.:rofl:

1 Like

I would give you 60$ for it :slight_smile:

65 dollars :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

65,99$ :joy:

1 Like

@Goonman Can you please post what error you are getting? Does the Photon updater executes and run?

@DAddYE I never said Iā€™m stopping development, heck Im just getting started :wink:

2 Likes

I tried :joy: would be really neat tho :innocent:

1 Like

Itā€™s saying that the file should be x64 to run. The remote was working yesterday. So I will try and sort some other time. Or when it stops working again