Universal Advanced VESC Remote Control (Photon) - Custom design

You don’t necessarily need to remove all of them, just install the 2015 one, also make sure you select the 32bit version “vc_redist.x86.exe”

Cheers that worked, I selected the x64 one.

Thanks for your help

1 Like

Hey mate, I have updated the firmware and done the binding. I have changed the app to UART, set the Baud rate to 115200, and set Nunchuck to current with reverse. when I push the joystick forward there is a signal on the remote but no spinning of wheels. I am however receiving data from the board.

Any ideas?

This is how I have it connected and I am running FW2.18 on my Focbox.

1 Like

Hi Jasper, this is because you are running an older FW, update to a latest Vesc firmware and you should be ready to go.

I remember seeing somewhere that the photon doesn’t work with Ackermaniac’s FW, what firmware would you recommend, I’m just after ridability, nothing too crazy.

3.35 is working fine on my testing units.

I’ll try it tonight.

Cheers for your help.

I finaly figured out how to update the FW to 3.35, but VESC Tool is still saying that the FW is too old and I need to update to be able to use all of the program.

So i updated to 3.38 and I am no longer receiving board bat%, Voltage and distance is in the neg as per pic.

On the up side the remote now spins the wheels :grinning:

1 Like

Ok I tried the motor detection in VESC Tool and it failed, but everything else seemed to work so I powered on.

I just applied full throttle on my workbench and the speedo went from 0 to 61 instantly.

When I then brake it slows the motor but just before it stops there is a chunk sound and the fault light flashes briefly.

I don’t want to derail too much. But is this something that we can use without the photon remote? Stats visible on the board while using our own remotes? Sorry if I missed this somewhere just curious. Thanks

Continuing the discussion from No words…just pictures delete words! Use pm!:

Hi Jasper, You need to get the motor detection working first. Disconnect the receiver from your Vesc and try the motor detection again. For the board battery voltage to be correct on your remote, make sure to go Photon settings and set the right number of cells of your board.

@i2oadsweepei2 That’s a full control panel I’m working on right now and will post a proper thread about soon. It is standalone and does work with any remote.

1 Like

@JasperM I just updated to Fw 3.38 and it works perfectly. Make sure you do motor detection without the receiver connected and it passes.

1 Like

@Wajdi saw the truck mounted screen.

When can get it? It is uart telemetry device only correct? Or does it require a photon receiver?

I am hoping it connects directly to the vesc and processes telemetry and isn’t wireless…

4 Likes

@Deckoz It’s a standalone control panel and telemetry device, with its own hardware and software, does not require a photon. I will be posting a more detailed thread soon.

6 Likes

I have unplugged the receiver and attempted to detect the motor again and it failed again.

Below are the settings I put into the wizzard and my set up.

The motor spins then stops and then slowly chuggs around like it wants to spin but cant quite get there.

1 Like

try increasing the amps and/or ERPM in the motor detection a bit. there’s also a nifty little question mark button that will tell you how to fix certain detection problems

Increase duty to .15 then see how it does.

OK…I fixed the detection problemby increasing the duty to .07, thanks meesie.

I went for a ride and my board pulls like crazy now and it’s nice having all of the data on the remote in your hand.

But the first thing to happen was the brakes stopped working, they felt like they were trying to engage every second or so but couldn’t. but a little latter kicked in.

Then the acceleration stopped working. The remote still showed a signal for everything but the Temp on the remote showed 57 degrees, is this high, I could also smell burning plastic but I could not feel any warmth from the motor or the enclosure at all and the ambient temp here is around 15 degrees. In my garage 10 minutes later the temp was in the 30s again and the board works. I have pulled my Focbox open and taken pictures, the only thing I can see is the negative wire looks kinked? :thinking:

I realise this might be getting off track for this thread but I am not all over Vesc settings and don’t want to brick my Focbox. Any settings that I may have stuffed?

2 Likes