Universal Advanced VESC Remote Control (Photon) - Custom design

Glad you got it working finally.

2 Likes

Wait so weā€™re using tx/rx not sda/scl?

interesting read here on the different types, I like the sound of silicone due to itā€™s ability to handle temps(PU is a heat blocker?) itā€™s ability to keep water out and the lack of any mechanical stress on the pcb

although must admit no experience with any of these

I canā€™t say Iā€™ve ever observed any noticable heat increases and I donā€™t coat heatsinked components

Yeah see the masking for fets, presumably keep off their pins too which also get hot hot

Yeah I just try to seal around the fets externally

Looks like a good idea until a pick, scratch and drv change is needed, hopefully these ESCs donā€™t suffer from that, Iā€™m gonna try it thanks for the pics

Lol well the idea is to give it the best chance of not failing at the start so you wonā€™t have to dig into it later :wink:

Iā€™ve used silicone conformal spray for other boards that I keep outside! But just a lacquer would probably work :wink:

To all the owners of the photon, what do you plan to do in terms of lights ?

Got the 144led/m strip and waterproof connectors, havenā€™t decided exactly what Iā€™m gonna do yet Oh and 12v to 5v stepdown, already using a battery to 12v3a stepdown

So you donā€™t really care of the 1A max of the reciever ? You just use it for data ? And plug the 5v of the led strip directly to the buck converter plugged into the battery right ?

1 Like

Yeah donā€™t use the 5v from the vesc, only from converter

Alright I was plannin to do that as well. Is thereā€™s any buck converter recommended ? I have a 12S battery My plan is to have front and rear lights + led strip in the middle. All powered thru buck converter and all soldered to reciever for data and turn on/off from remote. Making sure I understand everything

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016XI9BJS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_V9JRAb5ABACYH

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CGV5NT4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_T8JRAb3PEXRZH 2pin DC for front/rear, 3pin small for ws2812

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EMFIW62/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_W6JRAbTQ6TZRK

3 Likes

So my photon fell off a desk while charging and this happened :neutral_face:

I notice the rear support pins are not soldered :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

@Wajdi you need to update the original post to reflect whatā€™s in the remote, the PCBs you have posted at the top, have all the USB support pads, this PCB does not

If it was left with all the pads it wouldnā€™t break with one drop

The current USB port is held on by 2 support pins in front and just the USB pins at the back, thatā€™s not acceptable

5 Likes

@scepterr Oups, sorry this happened to you :neutral_face: seems like it took a hit at itā€™s weakest spot.

That first micro usb on the prototype pcb was unfortunately out of production, the best alternative I could find was this one. If anyone can find a good micro usb with better support pins please let me know.

This one has support pins and holes they go into, but no pad so canā€™t be soldered

2 Likes

The one on diebiems is very strong. And you can find the footprint ready to go on github

Iā€™ll be able to fix it and epoxy it down myself, but this will be a very common issue if not mitigated

1 Like