Universal Advanced VESC Remote Control (Photon) - Custom design

I can sense a soon to come invasion of posts about this remote when we’ll get them. Seriously this remote will be a game changer for the DIY community

1 Like

For Sure.

I’m still waiting for some experiences. Just lately i detroied two Mad-Munkey-GT2B remotes in quite Hard crashes. I actually just ride offroad-MTB in really harsh terrain. So i’m not sure if this amazing PHOTON remote is the right thing for me, or if i should just stock tons of GT2Bs for all my crashes.

But @Wajdi , again, if you ever think of cooperating with @Ackmaniac and making your remote compatible with his firmware (mainly the power.profile change) i will be in the game. i might just have to think about a Hardcore-Hadshell-Indexfinger-Trigger-Encloser Alternative. Cause riding harsh-offroad with a Thumb remote is not really possible in my experience.

But maybe you come up with a Index-Hardcore-Photon-Extreme Version as second option.

Until then i’m curious about all the experience .

Ang again. Amazing work youve done for the e-sk8 community!!

1 Like

This is what the final post processing result looks like, a smooth matte finish.

9 Likes

That’s not bad. Jake and i were talking about what we could do to polish them a little until you get the injection molding down. maybe some brushed on resin and a coat of enamel.

Ours would be red of course!

You can use high fill primer and then tumble the parts. That should give nice smooth matte finish.

2 Likes

Anyone has experience with injection molding? Do you know how much it approximately costs? Post processing those enclosures takes a lot of time, and I don’t always have success with it. So I decided to keep it as is for now, it looks more consistent.

for low runs its way cheaper to just use a sla printer i guess

Injection moulding usually only makes sense with big runs, the moulds are not cheap to produce

I have access to an SLA printer, I will give it a try and see how tough the printed part is. I know it is more accurate than FDM, I’m just worried about the strength.

Nice! I can’t wait to see what the results are like…

SLA print it and do a casting mould. Good quality and still cheap

It looks fine for now print wise and it’s what people signed up for so they should be happy… maybe offer case upgrade later for the first batch?? Still gonna wait and see how she performs in the wild before I pull the trigger…

pretty sure it’ll be an awesome game changing remote, I really want one already, but this ain’t my first forum so i’ll await the release

4 Likes

That’s what I have decided to do, I will keep it 3D printed with max setting, because Im getting inconsistent results with post processing, plus the paint leaves a weird smell on the remote. With max settings it takes about 10 hours to print 1 remote at 1.0mm accuracy, but its worth it.

Hi,

ask @FLATLINEcustoms Joel, he drid Molds for his Mad-Munkeys. So he might know more about costs, and id you look at the difference of the encolure Quality Mold or Print it’s amazing.

Why don’t you send it to shapeways.com and get it printed in “strong and flexible plastic” which is basically nylon. I use it for various thick and thin robot parts and it has yet to disappoint me.

Thanks for the suggestion, the 3D prints are actually of very good quality and strong. :+1:

For injection molding you need to make at least 1000 parts to break even. Even in china a really cheap tool for this would be at least $2000 usd, but the more normal price is closer to $5000. If your lucky you can put both halfs in one tool and not have to buy two molds. :anguished:

SLA makes very nice prints but the material is usually quite brittle and colors very limited. Some printers have suitable materials though, Formlabs have a resin that is similar to PP which is very impact resistant, would be good for a remote.

Making a silicone mold from a SLA print is a good middle ground though for quantities around 200 pieces.

1 Like

What about those filaments with carbon fiber?

Making molds are expensive as hell. My dad made products back in the 80’s and 90’s and had to sell a few houses he owned to fund his inventions. He died 13 years ago before all the great tech gadgets we enjoy existed. He would’ve loved 3d printing.

Will you be selling anytime soon? Can I order one as soon as you do? It looks awesome

Design in progress.

Hey guys, I had several improvement ideas for the Photon remote that I was saving for version 2, but I decided to upgrade it right now and send everyone the newest/improved version. It won’t be cool to send an old version to everyone that waited that long, just to release version 2 after a couple weeks.

The improved version has:

• A much slimmer body
  • Even more reliable connectivity, using PA/LNA modules that have accurate antenna impedance matching network.
  • 900mAh battery with over 20 hours continuous/30 days sleep
  • Redesigned PCBs now with built in Joystick, more reliable.
  • Receiver PCB now has dedicated port for WS2812B RGB strip
  • And a couple hardware redesign/tweaking for optimization

New PCBs are already in the fabrication stage, I should receive it in about a week and a half. New enclosures are being 3D printed now. I should be able to assemble the new version as soon as I receive the PCBs. Assembling/testing will only take 1-2 days.

Let me know what you think!

7 Likes