Universal Advanced VESC Remote Control (Photon) - Custom design

Now you’re talking!

How’s the new printer? Did you end up going w/ the CR-10?

The new printer is miles better than my old one, I will post some pictures tomorrow morning of the quality. I ended up getting the Anycubic I3 mega, very sturdy and excellent print so far. I was also working on implementing an LED control system on the remote and receiver software, because I know that once shipped, it would be hard to update the firmware, especially on the receiver, since it doesn’t have a USB port. The lightning settings will allow to set RGB values from the remote, and apply it on the receiver. I also added several lightning animations like rainbow, marquee, etc for people that want to use LED stripes.

3 Likes

I also received connection cables, flat ones!

6 Likes

Interested in kit option what is it looking like price wise now?

Yes I too would be interested in the kit option, as I have my own printer.

Same here!

Hey guys, I will be selling it as a kit. If I understand correctly, you want everything dissembled for you to assemble the way you want? Or do you want connections pre-soldered?

Any idea when the first batch of pre-orders will be shipping Thanks

Personally I would prefer pre-soldered. I also have a 3d printer, so I’m planning on printing my own case, maybe adapting it somewhat.

I was extensively working on improving the software especially wifi range and speed, and I’m glad I didn’t send out the remotes because I just increased its range by 10x, and the transmission speed is now probably 400% times faster! I have also added a menu option to set RGB values to control LED strips and such. Better delay it by a couple of days and get an awesome remote than rush it and have problems later. I should wrap everything up by this week, I will keep you guys updated and thank you for waiting :+1:

8 Likes

Great - So will your spi allow for headlight , horn and the RGB LED lightshow?

Will the RGB LED require 5V separate power supply ? Cheers

The receiver will have a digital pin to control LEDs for example, but they would still need a power source. The receiver will be able to control things, but does not provide power, it just forwards the 3.3v and 5V from the VESC. I don’t know whats the max rating of the VESC power regulator, but I doubt it would be enough for a large number of LEDs. Same thing applies to a horn and headlights. I have plans to make a power control circuit as an add-on, it will be able to handle several amps of power, and can be easily used to power LEDs and such while controlling them from the remote.

Great - Thanks for this . I will design up a three mosfet switch circuit for LEDS with separate 5V power supply.

In addition to the three LEDs digital pins - how many separate binary pins are there for lights , horn , bell etc that can be activated from remote?

Cheers

I bought some LED headlights that take 12 volts, so I’m using a dc step-down converter. Would your power supply be able to go above 5 volts?

Receiver pinout is as follow: MISO, SCK, MOSI, D5, A0, A1, A2, 3V3 and GND So basically D5, A0, A1 and A2 can all act as digital pins. If your three LEDs turn On and Off together, you just use one digital pin to control it, leaving you with 3.

Thanks for that - so will use D5 for horn and A0 A1 A2 for RGB leds. Looking forward to seeing what your light show animations looks like.

Oh I see now what you meant by 3 pins for the LED’s, one for each color line R, G, and B. :smile: What I was working on is support for individually addressable LEDs, they require only 1 pin to change colors etc. However now that you have mentioned it, I will add support for regular LED strips as well, and you can choose your LED type from the remote. If its a individually addressable, then you just connect one control pin, if it’s standard, you connect A0, A1, and A2 to the RGB pins.

Forgive my ignorance, but how easy will this be to connect to my stock standard Raptor 2? Do I need to replace the receiver or will it work without any mods?

Theoretically you would just need to replace the receiver. I don’t own a Raptor 2, but since it uses a VESC, it should be as easy as plugging the receiver on the UART port.