Universal Advanced VESC Remote Control (Photon) - Custom design

Hi, will it be possible to add some kond of pot to the programmable custom button on the remote, in order to controll a hydraulic breaking Servo ?

Cause i have a Magura Brake from Trampa wich i controll with a RC-servo, and i’d like to keep that option.

greets Gernot

http://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/mmmsb-magura-mad-munkey-servo-brake-yeah/30195

That would be possible. You can use the main throttle pot for that. When the throttle pot is pulled downward, it will apply regenerative braking, at the same time, you can configure one of the GPIO pins on the receiver to read the pot values and use that to control your braking servo. Two birds one stone solution :slight_smile:

1 Like

From where are you actually ?

So the receiver is using the UART port.

would it be possible to use your receiver on UART port of the master VESC and a HM-10 bluetooth module for @Ackmaniac 's Android app on the slave VESC or teh other way round if used in Dual-VESC Setup ?

greets Notger

Yes. I have an NRF24L01 module on my master and a bluetooth module on my slave. works well :slight_smile:

1 Like

Im from USA, and yes as @rpn314 stated, it should work just fine.

That’s great,…any idea when you’ll start selling them and for what price ?

Do you plan to make different enclosures in the future? like Thumb or index-finger trigger enclosure ?

greets

Notger

1 Like

Can you explain to me why Bluetooth wouldn’t be suitable? I’m using hc05 modules for my remote and I’m not sure if I get the rare dropouts because of my code or because of the Bluetooth modules. Considering switching to nrf. Besides, I’m very impressed by your design and it,alongside others, inspired me to make my own crude Arduino nunchuck OLED remote because I wanted to learn how to do this stuff. Thanks!

Thanks. I believe that Bluetooth is more suitable to interface smartphone devices, if i’m not mistaken, it uses a proprietary communication protocol with a predefined baud rate. Not really ideal if you want to do something like frequency hopping and advanced channel selection. I’m glad my work inspired you and I hope to see your project soon :slight_smile:

Perhaps in the future, if the project takes off I will get motivated to spend more time on it. About the selling price, I finished setting up the store, and I think I’m ready to start the first batch. I believe I can get all the necessary parts ready+assembly in about 2-3 weeks, hence I’m starting a Pre-Order batch. For the first batch, remote price should be 109$ + 19$ for receiver. I think 109$ for the remote is a fair price seeing the amount of effort I have put into it, its still cheaper than evolves 120$ remote. Pre-Ordering should open later today or first thing in the morning :relaxed::+1:

4 Likes

preordering,…here in the forum, or via your website ?

that is very cool. great job!

Looks great @Wajdi

There is definitely a market for an advanced remote like this

Like others have mentioned, I’d love to see a trigger version down the road! Keep up the good work

Take money now please. Thanks!!!

Alright, I thought Bluetooth would handle all the connection stuff like hopping itself and I just had to send some serial commands to it. You can see some pictures of the remote in my build thread, however it’s not nearly as complex as yours. I don’t have much real world experience with programming yet so I wanted to keep it simple.

How easy, or will it be possible to update the “Firmware” if you would ever change teh interface design. is it just USB Plug and Play or would you need some kind of Link to do that ?

(sorry I’m not a microcontroller person)

2.4ghz is just more reliable. Bluetooth has a much shorter range than 2.4ghz and usually transmits at a lower power level. If you go into a city that has high density RF noise, bluetooth can easily be drowned out. And if your talking about RC 2.4ghz they have extra technology like frequency hopping to prevent interference when there are many other users on the same band.

1 Like

2.4ghz is super reliable on my mini remote. It never failed me, not like the bluetooth connection which suck pretty bad when riding in the city.

Hi,

could you post some Photos of the Final “release-version” please. Also Photos from inside would be interesting. (Might make my indexfinger-mod by myself with an Madmunkey-enclosure if it fits) Id like to know how the receiver PCB looks at the end including antenna.

And please post the measurements of the reiceiver PCB incl. overall height. wanna have a look if it fits into my VESC Enclosure.

greets Notger

Sounds good: But can i add a pot instead of the “Assign a function to the custom push button.” cause i wanna controll the Brake Servo seperate from regenerative braking. The reiceiver would also need to spit out “PPM-Servo Language” and the possiblity to supply up to 5A Servo current for the high-torque Servo ??