Universal Advanced VESC Remote Control (Photon) - Custom design

I don’t get this complaining about the price. If its so cheap and easy to make why don’t you make your own or buy from another vendor who has a cheaper one? @Wajdi is not a factory he’s just one guy trying to make something cool for the community. Unless there is competing products the cost is what ever makes it worth his time otherwise you have no product at all. I don’t want to bring all this negativity to this thread it just really bothers me that people expect innovative small run stuff at Chinese factory prices. I want cheap and cool stuff too but you cant always tick all the boxes. :thinking: :nerd:

15 Likes

Perfect conclusion! :ok_hand:

1 Like

Because I think there’s a way to get this at half the cost. And a few of us are working on things. @Sander, @Print3r and @lox897 for starters. I like what @Wajdi is doing, I’m frankly just trying to push him to do even better!

1 Like

I agree - there is a fine line between something being a necessary feature and just a price booster. The coloured screen just increases the price --> you are not going to watch videos on it because it is tiny and you should be focusing on riding + coloured screen means that you have to go with a 32 bit processor, which is more expensive than a 8bit (I would assume). Without the 32 bit processor the screen would have a super slow refresh rate and make the remote unusable. Apart from the high price, I think that this is an interesting project with a lot of excess power capability in the processor … you could probably run some interesting video-overlay on the receiver processor and livestream to the phone over bluetooth with some work.

I think that it must be realised that this project will not be for everyone - the price, even if reduced by $20 is too high for most people (given that the case is not injection moulded, the screen is under your fingers and a joystick [very cheap] is used for input). The masses will probably go for @Sander’s remote or use @lox897’s version of Rolling Gecko’s code as it is much cheaper to produce and the people developing it are not needing to make a living off selling theirs. @Sander’s remote will also likely have some fun easter eggs in the code!

I’m in. Looks like a great improvement over the Evolve GT remote.

Quick update guys, finished adding a safety button to act as a kill switch/cruise control. I also finished implementing distance traveled tracker and dynamic frequency selection for crowded areas. The receiver now has an SMA antenna as many of you have requested it, this gives a theoretical range of around 1000 meters without obscuration. I will record a demonstration video once everything is assembled, it should be ready this week. :+1:

3 Likes

I’m in. Quality is what I’m most interested in. If the ‘extra’ costs gives me safe, fast response, and a quality product that lasts, I won’t have a problem spending more coin.

1 Like

If you`r sending to Europe… I´m in… totally cool project. Looking forward to some video :slight_smile:

1 Like

Quick update: Major improvements in design, now using a 1.44" color display instead of the small 0.95". The result looks much better! More room for detailed data display as well as better user interface. Also the remote PCB has been updated and finalized to accommodate the new display. Receiver PCB was finalized as well and its a simple plug and play to the VESC. Still waiting on some components that should arrive any time now, and I will post a detailed video about the software. If you haven’t noticed already, my website where I will be selling this remote is http://eboardshop.net. You can sign up for the Newsletter to be notified about pre-order dates as well as the latest offers.

8 Likes

Nice design! How much will you be selling them for?

1 Like

Thanks, price is not set yet, I will post an update once I have everything calculated.

Why did you chose the form factor like you did? Is it okay , to throttle like that ? And isn’t your hand blocking the screen ? I like this form factor https://m.aliexpress.com/s/item/32678995218.html?spm=a2g0n.orderList.0.0.T3wszd&#autostay to me it’s more natural to have in hand and use

I felt that its the most comfortable to hold, inspired from the ps4 remote and wii nunchuck. Also the screen is easily accessible even when riding.

bookmarked your site…im likely gonna order one once they come up for sale and play with it as soon as im home from school next summer :smiley:

I mentioned that as well. I much prefer a slimmer profile that easily fits in my pocket.

I agree…

Would be cool, if we could choose between slim design and “fat nunchuck” design :slight_smile:

Really looking forward to seeing how this goes down when there are units out there that are getting hands on testing, nice job btw

I’ve been working on a remote like yours, but I had lots of problems. Yours seems interesting. I signed up to your newsletter.

Hey guys, a little update of what I have been working one. During the past few weeks I have been focusing on testing and improving the software, I have also updated the receiver to incorporate an rp-sma antenna for a better range and reliability. A built in antenna is also available for those that prefer a low profile.

The receiver has a lot of processing power due to its 32bit samd21 MCU. I have exposed SPI pins, 3v3, 5v, GND, and several GPIO pins. This will make it easy to add a display, control LED’s, connect sensors, etc.

7 Likes

This just gets better and better! I imagine that most folks will go for the low profile internal antenna, but having the option to switch is nice. The pins for adding more features is an incredible amount of flexibility!