Universal Advanced VESC Remote Control (Photon) - Custom design

Aaand following! Well done, it’s so great to see more and more designs for a compact remote with all these features! One thing, could you possibly add some kind of trigger to the front as well for people who prefer that? It doesn’t have to be very big and pointy (like the evolve trigger), just enough for the index finger to push/pull against. That way you can choose what control method you prefer, as they both have plusses and minuses, and whichever button you’re not using for that can be switched to use for an auxiliary feature.

1 Like

Please, please, please make a trigger throttle

10 Likes

I totally agree. Not only triggers are better …they can have better form factor…much more slimmer.

1 Like

Fantastic work! Looks amazing!

I think that reliability should be the main concern. I’ve seen a few people on the forum posting pics of X-rays with broken bones as consequence of remote disconnect and acidental flyoff’s due to instance braking of full throttling. Doesn’t look fun at all.

I also agree that a trigger could be incorporated alongside the toggle switch. That way you could program both too work together as a kill switch.

Just my 2 cents.

Your remotes features and the development you’ve put into this certainly look amazing! Definitely something to admire, however the most important aspect of the remote first and foremost should be safety. Not just in terms of connection reliability but failsafes to ensure accidental inputs don’t result in catastrophic injury.

The highest priority should be safety and I think the form factor you’re currently going for makes it too easy for accidental inputs. The exposed trigger really should have a dead switch so that it only activates when the dead switch is pressed. Without it, triggers get caught on pockets far too easily and accidental inputs are a common occurrence from my limited experience with the mini remote, (it’s the reason my board got ran over by a car). I think boosted has that shit down in terms of form factor, safety precautions and ease of use.

I’m not sure how others feel but with every other available diy remote on the market, enertions, mini remote, winning, none of them have a dead switch or a means of minimising accidental inputs.

3 Likes

I don’t remember the exact place I got it from, I had for over a year but it wasn’t cheap.

Turn by turn navigation will require a smartphone, and an extra Bluetooth module. I think most people use their boards to commute in common areas, adding navigation is an overkill in this instance. Perhaps in future versions.

3 Likes

Since many of you requested a kill switch, I’m adding one as we speak, it will be adjustable from the menu to be either "Keep pushing " or “Push once” to activate. I also added a lanyard hook :slight_smile:

7 Likes

The grip looks very ergonomic … but how do you see the screen when you grip the remote. Also, make sure the screen is not too cluttered - adding a settings/stats view might help reduce screen clutter for the riding mode. How fast is your screen refresh time - are you using SPI or I2C and what library? Looks great, what price are you thinking of?

@print3r he said price right now is $120 but he wants it to go lower

great work man. count me in if that supports your project.

when do you think youll be selling these??? i want one sooo bad

Sorry, I missed that. That is very expensive for an NRF, pcb and oled especially as the case is 3d printed - I would expect the first 50 of an abs injection moulded remote to be this price as the moulds in that case are very expensive … but for a 3d printed remote. I am going to wait on @Sander’s remote (www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/oled-remotes-under-development-please-leave-suggestions/22055/179) - it should be half the price and also with a bluetooth module and accompanying app, a charging power-in calculator (though the screen will be monochrome not colour).

Thanks for the suggestion guys, the price will be cheaper than 120$ and not 120$. Once I finalize the design, I will calculate the first batch cost. It will be cheaper than evolves remote + universal + packing a lot more features like the kill switch, custom button programming, failsafe function, full range of riding modes, frequency channel selection, detailed states…etc.

3 Likes

Very cool and compact pcb, I love it!

I have a few questions: How did you manage to upload the bootloader on the ATmega32U4?, did you need to make the HWB pin high or low?

How far range do you get with the nrf and which antenna cap is it?

Thanks alot!

I do like the design a lot. I gotta be honest though, saying “less than $120” is a lot of sticker shock. That’s the price of some of the cheaper (insert whatever we’re calling VESCs now). Even considering small runs, I can’t figure how you’re arriving at that cost. I’ve built and sold a few of Vedder’s nunchuckRF for a few people around and it has not cost me anywhere near that (less than half of that in fact, fully finished!), and frankly the only difference is that you’ve got a buzzer and a screen.

I know too, its crazy how expensive it is. But just for making one remote, with no bulk price with pcb ordering and components + color oled + reciever pcb it easily cost over 120 dollars.

Its expensive to make only one, but if you are making around 20 the price jumps very steep! Probably down to 30 USD.

1 Like

Thanks, I’m not using an Atmega, I’m using Atmel’s SAMD cortex m0, a 32bit micro controller. It is faster, and has much more memory, ideal for larger software needs. Perhaps thats why you assumed that the parts would be cheap :slight_smile: I’m also using the same processor on the receiver side to ensure perfect synchronization. The receiver has the same computational power as the remote, it has available ports for SPI, ADC, UART, digital and analog pins and forwarded +5 and +3v3 power supply from the VESC. The goal is that it won’t only act as a receiver, but also as a custom extra processing unit for those who want to write custom code to operate led’s, add an extra display on the board, and operate extra devices all without changing the VESC’s firmware and overloading it.

1 Like

Can you give a digikey link to the SAMD cortex m0 as I cannot find the page for it. All the other SAMD chips are also cheap though e.g. https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/microchip-technology/ATSAMD10D14A-SSUT/ATSAMD10D14A-SSUTCT-ND/5226482. I do like that you have opted for 32 bit though.

Cool! Which bootloader are you using?