Universal Advanced VESC Remote Control (Photon) - Custom design

many thanks - is the antenna in that receiver pcb footprint? and what form are the pin-outs ( JST ?) or are they solder points

Yes antenna is within that PCB footprint. The UART port on the most left side is a 6pin JST PH 2mm pitch. The connector will be pre-soldered, unless you prefer not. The 3 pins on the bottom right side are solder points for a WS2812B LED strip. The 9 pins on the top are various digital and analog pins, two pins on those will be used to enter automatic binding mode. A pre-soldered 2 pin male header will be installed on the binding pins, and a jumper will be provided.

Wajdi - Thanks for that - so UART connector will be pre-soldered so I could use a 6pin JST female to female to connect receiver UART to VSEC UART port?

Regarding the 9 pin header - does this need a 9 pin JST with two of these as binder or a separate 2 pin JST ( binding) with the balance on a 7 pin JST plug?

Any chance of a wiring diagram showing the external connections ?

Cheers

Yes, the female to female connector cable will also be provided. Here the wiring diagram to get a better idea.

The MISO, SCK, and MOSI pins will be removed in next versions, I donā€™t see any practical use of it.

2-3 coats of this provides a soft touch rubber feel to any prints, great at filling imperfections too

http://a.co/am4d8Hn

Awesome! didnā€™t know about this, did you try it? Iā€™m curious to see the results.

Yeah Iā€™ll post some pics tomorrow, spent the last couple days painting prints :yum: no post processing other than paint

Cool, thanks for sharing, I will order one :grin:

Just make sure itā€™s the low gloss one, also I havenā€™t checked if there are other colorsā€¦:wink:

Hi Kanguru007 - I have just finished upgrade on my BGT with dual VESCs with CAN data - Have ordered this remote but operating on a spare RC remote in the mean time. Let me know if you want any details or the VESC motor/app data files Cheers ( PS Are you in Aus?)

@kanguru007 Sorry I missed your post, update rate is less than 1ms, thatā€™s with driving the large RGB LCD, constantly refreshing data, performing FHSS, Interactive UI, and smoothing out the analog inputs. Its fairly optimized, and pretty impressive performance from the 32bit CPU.

Waji Thanks for that What is maximum allowable voltage on the RGB +3V3 . I have a 12V supply in board for lights etc. and want to power the receiver LED circuitry off this rather than using VESC supply.( The LED strip has +12V data in and 0V connections)

Also - the D5, A0 and A1 Digital outputs - presumable these can directly connect to a gate pin on a N Channel MOSFET for driving horns , lights etc

Sorry I made a small mistake on the PinOut picture, the +3V3 pin on the led port is actually +5V coming from the VESC through the UART cable, you can easily use a 5 pin UART cable instead and feed your 12v supply to the 6th pin.

Regarding the D5 and A0 pins they can be used as gate controllers for your Mosfets. A1 is used to drive the LED strip so itā€™s not available.

Here is a detailed Pinout, if you want to use your +12v supply, you can connect it to either of the circled locations, just make sure you have common ground by connecting your supply ground to the GND pin.

What LED strip will you be using? is it WS2812B or similar?

WS2811 5050 RGB LED Strip Light Waterproof Addressable Tube DC12V Black Shell BN

It has three connections 1)+12V 2)data input and 3) 0V

So if I read your post correctly I can connect board +12V supply to pin 6 of receiver UART plug and then connect

+12V wire from led strip to receiver +5V pin data input wire from led strip to receiver A1 pin 0V wire from led strip to receiver GND pin 0V from 12V supply to received GND pin

Yes that should be it.

Wajdi - Is the UART +5V connection( pin 6 ) hard wired to the +5V on LED strip conn via pcb track?

I would like to power receiver from VESC ( via UART pin 6 ) but power LEDS from separate 12V supply with common 0V ?

BTW - What is your latest forecast date for shipping first batch?

Cheers

Yes UART +5v(pin 6) is hardwired to +5v LED strip conn via pcb trace.

However the receiver is not powered from that +5v pin, its powered from the +3v3 pin (pin 5). So you will be able to power the receiver directly from the UART connection, even if you use pin 6 for something else, in this case, +12V.

An update on latest development: I received the new PCBs, and they are perfect. They fit nicely on the new enclosure, and the built in joystick footprint makes it more compact and firm.

I added an auto-calibration wizard to the remote menu, it is very easy to re-calibrate the joystick in case it was changed or was de-calibrated for some reason. During the calibration process I also added a deadzone adjustment. Iā€™m pre-soldering the PCBs as we speak, and waiting for the new nrf24 modules to be delivered, it should take a couple days before I have everything nicely put together.

1 Like

What Vesc FW are you guys using? Seems like everyone is running different versions which makes it harder to keep track of. If you guys can tell me what HW and FW versions you are using it would help me create a wider compatibility. Perhaps there should be a a new thread with a poll to see what everyone has.

Err on the side of newer/latest, IMO.