Universal Advanced VESC Remote Control (Photon) - Custom design

Slimmer version in 2 weeks?

Then when your remote gets infected with malware you can just tap past the ads to get to your throttle control!

6 Likes

Hi,

I like the remote! I have any question. 1.Has anyone use the remote with a Dual Vesc6 system? 2. can i use the nrf chip of the Vesc6?

Thx for help.

No one has it yet…

:frowning:

@Necromenz 1. It should work with dual VESC setup, you can run a CAN bus, and connect the receiver to the master VESC. 2. The remote comes with its own receiver, you don’t need to use the nrf chip of the Vesc.

1 Like

Thx for your awnser. I ask for the Vesc6 because a old or wrong UART command brick the STM32 Chip of the Vesc6 .

1 Like

Interesting, I wasn’t aware of that, do you have more information on this?

That’s an interesting bug. Can it be recovered by reloading the firmware?

Yes you can fix it with a stm32link. I brick one of my Vesc6 with a bt Modul over UART.

Here are the post of hexacopter Bens awnser out of the Beta Forum :

The maybe most important thing I noticed was the behavior connecting a BT 4.0 module to the UART port and use the metr.at logging app to see if some data could be read. I thought it just couldn’t connect and doesn’t read any data because of a different serial protocol, but it was much worse. Connecting the app to the VESC just fried the STM32. No LEDs were blinking after a reboot and the VESC wasn’t found any longer over USB. Tried different things, but just flashing an old VESC firmware over JTAG with an STLink V2 revives the VESC. Looks like nothing is damaged permanently, but not everyone is able to flash a new firmware over JTAG and I am not 100% sure if really nothing of the hardware was damaged by this. But amazing that it is so easy to brick the STM just with a few UART commands. Wasn’t expecting that.

SO TO ALL BETAs. DONT USE ANY OLD SMARTPHONE APP TO CONNECT TO YOUR VESC OVER BLUETOOTH, WHEN YOU DONT WANT TO RISK TO BRICK YOUR NEW VESC 6.

I have only tested with the metr.at app and investigate with Roman (the developer of the app) the following. It looks like command codes for COMM_GET_MCCONF and COMM_GET_APPCONF are 0E and 11 in FW3.24, when in the old FW2.18 the codes are 0D and 10. So instead of sending COMM_GET_MCCONF in metr.at app, I was probably most likely sending COMM_SET_MCCONF. Because of this my VESC was bricked afterwards. We fixed that behavior and also analyzed the serial data so data logging for FW3.24 should work in future versions of the app. But the best way would be getting the source code of VESC Tool and the firmware so we can confirm that and also compile the GUI for Mac.

Ben:

For now I don’t recommend using any old app or device with the new firmware since the communication protocol has changed quite a bit. Also, I don’t really like the model of making closed source apps that communicate with the VESC, so I would like to get support for mobile devices into the code base of VESC Tool as soon as possible. There are already preparations for that by separating the communication and configuration code from the user interface.

I hop it helps.

1 Like

i just bought a couple of those from Dexter. I’m going to try downgrading back to 2.18 on one of my older VESC-Xs.

I dont know if its allways happens. It couldt be fix with a newer fw or it works with this Modul. That is the reason why i asked if it works with the Vesc6.

Seems like the issue only happens on COMM_GET_MCCONF/COMM_SET_MCCONF commands which I don’t use. There is a difference between Vesc 6 and Vesc 4 firmware when dealing with UART communications, mainly when reading the data packet, on Vesc 4 firmware it has 7 x float16 (2 bytes * 7) data for temperature readings, while on Vesc6 it only has 2 x float16 ( 2 bytes * 2).

My remote is compatible with both versions, however I only tested on Vesc 4 because that’s what I have right now.

Add some higher weight springs to the x-axis and you have yourself an awesome product. Talk with @Ackmaniac and see if a more fleshed out version of Torque Vectoring is possible. I’d pay good money for that.

Yeah thats just a render

They were referring to the pictures of the post processed cases way before the rendering

Ah. My bad

Thx for the Informations! You ship the Remote to Germany? So i will preorder the Remote and Test with my Vesc6.

Wajdi - Could you please post a photo or sketch of receiver showing dimensions and wiring - just designing enclosure internal layout and need to allow enough space Cheers

Here are the dimensions, in mm. Let me know if you need something else.

Yes I ship to Germany :slight_smile: