Universal Advanced VESC Remote Control (Photon) - Custom design

I’m looking forward to hearing more about this remote from the first batch of users, so far very interesting and tempting :+1:

Me too, can’t pull the trigger until it’s been tested and tutorials are up.

1 Like

Kewl, one for each hand! I want to see that video lol

yeah cause i have a penny on each foot.

Why not just electrify some quadskates lol

dude. If i just glued shoes to these pennies they would BE quads.

2 Likes

@Wajdi quick security question since it has not been adressed yet: is the communication encrypted in any way? I would to see some scriot kiddie build a $20 box that sets the break or throttle to 100% of all passing riders.

Also: which frequencies are being used/at which transmit power does it operate?

Edit: Also: wouldnt it be better to just make a small hole for the lanyard? the printed ring will probably break of sooner or later.

That’s a good point. I didn’t think about it but any dangly-doos will likely get knocked off during normal wear and tear.

One more thing i cant get out of my head: wouldnt it be nice to have just a small 4-way joystick (like the one on fatsharks) for the remote control menu operationand a normal trigger(potentiometer) for the throttle? Its probably a little late but that would allow ppl to design their own cases and use any kind of trigger/stick/slider they like? (The image in my head is a boosted board remote with a screen and a little joystick on the side) Its probably a little late now - maybe for v2?

Furthermore: Is there a hybrid mode for the killswitch? like “Needs to be pressed to start driving - can be let go afterwards. If pressed WHILE driving -> cruise control”

That’s part of it. What I’m asking for would allow the user to recall several configurations, each bound to a separate receiver. All the user does after the initial binding and setup is select the file name used to be completely ready to hop on a different board. No rebinding or re entering anything unless making changes. If I’m not explaining it well enough please look at the radio models I listed earlier and search for the feature. Many RC radios for planes and quadcopters have this feature. It’s a a standard feature in that hobby. Multiple saved configs for the same receiver can be part of it but that is not the primary purpose.

1 Like

@karatektus The remote uses FHSS, therefore it would be very hard to interfere with its communication.

it constantly hops between frequencies from 2.400 - 2.4835GHz. About transmit power, I don’t have proper measuring tools, but it should be somewhere around 7dBm-10bBm. Adequate level for electric skateboard application, anything more and it will be an overkill + more power consumption.

Btw the battery on the remote can last more than 22 hours continuous, and over 30 days sleep mode.

The lanyard dongle is really tougher than it looks :grinning: I can’t break it with both my hand at full force. It has 100% infill and it bounds very well with the case.

About the redesign, maybe for V2, right now the remote is very compact and functional. Thanks for the suggestions.

2 Likes

@Dizzee I see what you mean. It should be possible to do. I will add it to my ToDo list and push it as an update later on. I can’t work on it right now because I know may people want their remote ASAP :grinning:

2 Likes

I’m post processing the 3D printed covers, what do you guys think? It’s much smoother and looks better in real life.

7 Likes

It looks great IMO. I think i will change the colour with my 3D printer if u share the files !

i will be pre-ordering one soon, any idea when the ship outs will start?

Those look great! What did you do for post processing? Did you use an acetone vapor chamber?

@ElskerShadow Cool! I will share the printing files pretty soon. @Holyman92 I already sold out all my current units, I have placed a new order for parts and I should receive them in about 2 weeks from now. Hopefully they won’t sold out before they arrive :sweat_smile: @Ricco I used sanding, acetone, filler primer and paint coat.

hey man i will use a nunchuck from a wii until u get stock if they sell out again

I recommend you pre-order now to reserve a spot, parts might ship sooner :slight_smile:

i will as soon as my money hits my bank lol