Universal Advanced VESC Remote Control (Photon) - Custom design

@Ackmaniac are they the same ?

would be amazing if you both could “couple-up” and make some amazing hardware-firmware fusion.

Keep in mind that lithium battteries dont discharge linearly voltage wise, you should calculate it from a discharge curve like this.

1 Like

Pre- ordered one. Amazing work. It’s expensive but happy to support and hope the development ends soon ! Cheers

1 Like

I added support for PPM mode, now the remote can be used with any ESC that supports PPM. However with PPM there are no data, data is only available when using UART with a VESC.

I also think about only supporting Addressable LED strips, because they only require 1 data pin, and no additional hardware, they also have cooler effects. What do you guys think?

True, problem is discharge graph changes from battery model to other, and changes during the battery life cycle as well. Should we just adopt a median model?

Better than linear… or… maybe add an additional menu that let’s you set the % levels (in increments of 10) to their corresponding voltage.

IE: 100% => 4.2 90% => 4.05 etc

Those don’t run on Linux/Unix/BSD/Apple, right? Only Windows? :frowning:

You should be able to find a universal one that might not be 100% accurate, but definitely better than a linear one

Maybe look at a cell like 25R since most people use those I think. But universal is possibly best. I’m not sure how different they are.

i think I will map the discharge following this graph Seems to be a typical example.

About the battery percentage value, I think I will stick with the voltage based reading, because the Ah method won’t really work since the consumed Ah value is being reset when the VESC is powered off. Even if we save the last session’s consumed Ah locally on the remote, it will be hard to keep track of it when the board is plugged for charging. If anyone have suggestions please let me know. Thanks.

@b264 I used it on windows 7, I’m not sure there is a Linux/mac solution other than Virtual machines.

2 Likes

There isn’t as far as I’m aware. My friend uses the JTag and I thought that’d mention that. He has to boot Windows inside a virtual machine on Linux Mint to use it

Looks great :slight_smile:

I don’t know if it’s possible but it would be cool to have a “total distance travelled” like on cars.

Haha, here’s a really bad idea, but maybe you can make it better. Make battery percentage value base user configurable and of person really wants Joule-based then they input pack size in Ah and if trip is paused the on restart (not knowing state again) it infers based on standing start voltage reading and V/Ah ratio. :laughing:

1 Like

Only addressable leds is a good idea Leaves other SPI for horn lights etc Cheers

Yeah good idea. How much leds can handle the pin ?

@caustin: Thats a great idea. I almost always run the batteries down to zero on my drives, so joule-based would be great(for me). On the otherside, i didn’t think of, the remote doesn’t get charge or discharge infos if its off. If you turn on the remote, its always in voltage-% would be a good compromis i think.

What about a battery-health indicator? Doesn’t have to be on the drive-display but maybe in the settings. New Batteries -> measurement of the internal resistance(say 5-10mOhm eq 100%) and save on remote. After that you can compare the value to the initial one and with a choosen value, say 50mOhm eq 0% you can tell if we need to think of getting a new battery ^^. (diffVoltage/diffCurrent) should give us the internal resistance, if i’m right? But the measurement has to be done if the battery is fully charged, otherwise the readings are incorrect!

And after that :blush: we design our own BMS! with memory for joule-base measurement, nextdrive-predictions for charge-cycle, means no-drive-insight-> automatically storage-charge, with resistance-heating or cooling depending of the ambient-temperatures while driving, 1 (or more) Amps balancing-current between each cell, cell-health monitoring, tesla-style charging-system: 2C-Charge-Current @ 4.1Volts, after that charge with 4.2Vmax to the end. Should be faster on 80% SOC this way. Faster (save) Charge - faster back on the road :smiley: !

Hm, sorry for texting… had to let it out :slight_smile: Cu @ll

The pin is used for data, it can address as many Leds as you like, as long as you have enough power from your power supply. There is an option on the Light menu to set your Led strip pixel number.

1 Like

@Wajdi

Looking to order. If I place today when should I receive the remote?

@Wajdi any updates on the remote ?

Can you guys help me pick up a name for the remote?

12 Likes