Understanding current limits on VESC motor settings

heh yeah i’d assume that’s a bit taxing lol

High amps are much more likely to kill Vescs than motors from my experience. 6374 motors are great heatsinks ;). Give it a try?

1 Like

The answer to your question is duty cycle.

On my build I have 1300watts per motor.

Let’s say I have a charged battery 42v and starting from a stand still the duty ramps to 35%

35% duty of 42v is 14.7volts. So at 42v & 35% duty the motor is operating at 14.7v. Well 14.7v in order to produce 1300 watts, it would take 88 motor amps.

That 1300 watts at 100% duty(42v) is only 30 battery amps…

The answer to your question is duty cycle.

In case that didn’t make sense these two produce the same power/torque 100% duty 1300w/(42v * 1)= 30.95A

35% duty 1300w/(42 * .35)= 88.43A

What’s that mean? It means your motor needs more amps with lower duty during the duty ramp to produce a linear amount(relative/same) of torque throughout the powerband/throttle.

Another thing motors rated for amps and voltage need to be calculated for watts. 12s 80 amps is 4032watts. Let’s take this as its certainly outside of the vescs capabilities. But to get the full watts at 35% duty would require a max motor amp of 232amps… Vesc can’t do this. So by setting 80 as the max motor amps when it reaches 80 amps it forces the duty to step up(V) reducing the ampers until duty cannot ramp any further.

9 Likes

Can you tell me if I understood correctly? So lets say you drive up a steep hill. The motor doesn’t have enough torque so it increases the current to its limit of 100A. Because it doesn’t have enough torque it also spins slower, so the motor only gets 50% of the battery voltage so 22V. It would be better if the wheels were smaller, so it would need less torque and therefore could decrease the current to 50A and increase the voltage to 44V right? Its the same wattage for both scenarios, but the duty cycle is 50% and 100% and 100% is more efficient.