Ultimate VESC Controller

I’d like to find out more about this project, too!

@vitormhenrique so did you happen to improve the remote with other communication protocol / device other than xbee?

Definetly a very interesting project, now if I only had a VESC lol. You might want to look into using a ESP8266 module for the wireless communication as well, the normal model has two GPIO’s which you could use to communicate with the receiver, but you may need more GPIO’s to communicate with the VESC. The ESP8266 ESP-03 has 7 GPIO’s so I think that would definitely be enough. This would eliminate the need of having a second microcontroller on the board.

1 Like

Only disadvantage with the ESP8266 is that it consumes around 100mah when Wifi is active. No problem for the board side but a bit much for the remotes battery.I recommend to use UDP as communication protocoll. And the Wemos mini D1 is very very nice and small device. Cheap as well.

Good point @Ackmaniac, I’ve actually heard it can draw a lot more current, around 500mA so that would suck lol. I think then the HC-05 Bluetooth module would be a better idea because I’m pretty sure it draws far less current.

Actually I just found this article that highlights ESP current draw and it seems like working current would be more around 120mA because it’s not like it’s going to be transmitting a lot of data. And if you can fit, let’s say a 1.5Ah battery in the remote then you would get around 12 hours of battery life, which is pretty good considering an average board only has a battery that would last around an hour.

2 Likes

What hardware are you using on the VESC side? Are you connected via PWM or I2C slave (i.e. the Nunchuck interface)

Has there been anymore progress on this project? I’d like to see if I could get it one to work with the Torque Rocket Dual.

This is what jason @carl.1 should be doing . Make an upgrade vesrion to the vescx remote . I would buy it in a heart beat . Bet everyone else will to . Like evolve sells an upgraded lcd one for for 120$.

2 Likes

I’m working on it currently. Search ultimate vesc controller with OLED. Still prototyping though.

ArduBoardControler by RollingGecko is just my Favorit with some small changes.

Is it ready???