Ultimate VESC Controller with OLED

Good to see you around here again! That’s some fantastic information!

My thought (and what I thought you had been working on a year or so ago) was to have an NRF (or the micro ppm or sbus based connection between the controller and the vesc for reliability and then a Bluetooth connection between the controller and a mobile device (Bluetooth because of the widespread availability/compatibility of Bluetooth) for added viewing, recording, and maybe even configuring. Are you saying that’s not possible?

I’d like to look into the micro ppm and sbus modules you referred to. Is that something like this?

https://m.banggood.com/2_4G-8CH-Micro-Frsky-D8-Compatible-Receiver-With-PPM-SBUS-Output-p-1104843.html

Exactly what I had been looking for - both the NRF24L01+ for communication and a screen! How are you measuring current draw and voltage, is this ouputted through uart from vesc?

Yes it is outputted through UART from vesc. Same as any of the bluetooth vesc apps

I have an early version of that module in my Devo tx :sunglasses:

The best part about this remote is that I made it for under $20 AUD, you can get most of the parts off AliExpress or ebay for really cheap.

1 Like

@lox897 So can you ‘‘port it’’ in an easy to do list?

If I buy the right stuff and arrange it together, will I be able to use your code for the remote?

I know you said contribution goes to Rolling Gecko Libraries or such… but still

Yes I will make a build list soon. I take no responsibility for the use of my designs, or any of the software and parts. If anyone injures themselves, please know you built this at your own risk. I may even make a video today on my new PC :grin:

2 Likes

Funny to see controllers with oleds now. I have been working with mine for over 1 month :wink: Mine has a menu with options like change the light color, speed, acceleration, max amp etc. And like yours, showing battery voltage and avg motor ampere :slight_smile: Soon I will have a gps in my board that will log the location and give me the current time zone, so I can see on my remote what the time is instead of taking the phone out of the pocket.

4 Likes

This is sick!!! Are you planning on selling them yourself when you finish?

I’m still in school right now and don’t have the time to build these. But I hope me open sourcing it and allowing people to sell it will help out

1 Like

Here’s the video @Okami Please subscribe to my channel on ESK8 and CAD tutorials.

2 Likes

I was halfway through watching that! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Uploaded check above

But one question why are you using a SPI OLED display? Why not I2C OLED display? With the I2C you only gotta worry about 4 pins, GND, VCC, SCL, SDA. And with SPI its like 6 pins…

That’s what RollingGecko used and said was supported

I agree that an I2C display would be better pinwise - it also means the screen pcbs are smaller as there are less pins. This would be very useful for me as I am going to make next year a controller with a display angled like an HTC vive controller being held with the trigger upwards. I like the idea of the boosted wheel replacing the top of the joystick, but am wondering if there is not too little travel in a joystick. Finally, is variable braking power (like variable throttle) supported in RollingGecko’s code?

1 Like

Not sure why RollingGecko didn’t go I2C… I’ll test the travel of the joystick once my 3d printer is finally up and running. What do you mean by variable throttle?

When you have an esc (e.g. on an rc plane) you can control the speed of the motor using that esc. I would like to be able to do the same with reverse (if a certain button is pressed) and have pulling back on the throttle past the neutral point to be increasing braking force. I have not yet bought a Vesc so do not know how to do that (for the moment)! Has anyone tried contacting RollingGecko on this forum for input?

The progress you’ve made so far is so awesome! Love the innovation. Can’t wait to see the final product.

1 Like

The VESC can do that. I believe you mean when you brake and go back to a standstill then you can reverse?