UART Splitter for VESC Based ESCs

Stupid question… is this compatible with unity?

Yes it is. All VESC based ESCs use a standard communication scheme, so it works with any of them :slight_smile:

Lovely how do I reserve one? I heard you got 9 left :stuck_out_tongue:

All 50 of the first batch have been claimed on the survey now, but any remaining (its possible some poeple wont follow through) will be first come first serve. For anyone that needs one after the first batch sells out and before the second batch arrives, I could hand assemble them for a small added fee :slight_smile:

1 Like

The first sample board shipped out today and should arrive monday :smiley: If everything checks out (from the sample pictures it looks like it will), then they will build the rest of the 50 boards and ship them out. I’m estimating it will be 2 weeks from Monday until I get the full order.

2 Likes

The sample part arrived today :partying_face: All solder joints look good and it functions properly so I’ve given them a go on the rest of the parts :smiley:

@lxf, @Thorlex, and anyone who has reached out through PMs about getting one of the uSplits, as you probably know, all of the first batch is claimed atm. However, since I just got the PCBs for v1.1 HW I am thinking that I can hand solder up some of those for people who want uSplits before I order more assembled boards. This would give me a good sized group of testers for the v1.1 HW and allow me to verify that the updates didnt introduce any issues.

The changes made in the v1.1 HW are very minor:

1. Resistors were added in series with the UART RX and TX signals to protect the ESC and other connected devices from damage if the uSplit happens to become powered when the other devices are not. This is an unlikely scenario since the uSplit is powered from the comm port of the ESC, but it is still a possibility.

2. The “boot” button was replaced with a circuit that automatically puts the uSplit into bootloader mode when a USB cable is connected.

I will get a survey going to collect everyone’s info for the hand soldered v1.1 uSplits if people are interested in that.

2 Likes

Since there people were receptive over on [the forum that shall not be named] I created the survey for v1.1 HW.

Here it is: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/DZF365R

I have now reached out to everyone that filled out the first and second surveys and have shipped out most of the 50 units.

Right now I have 6 uSplits left to be sold. If you would like one, please DM me.

The price is $30 per uSplit + shipping, tax, and paypal fees

I recently posted FW v0.7 to the uSplit downloads page of my site. This FW fixes a couple know bugs in the uSplit FW. Anyone that has recently purchased the uSplit should follow the instructions here to update your uSplit. If any other issues are found, PM me with details so I can start on those :slight_smile:

I can’t send a personal message yet, but I would love a uSplit. Would like to try it with the flipsky remote and Bluetooth with a 4.12

1 Like

You can send me an email at [email protected] with the quantity you want, paypal email, and full address to get the order started :slight_smile: It should work well for your setup. I know some users are already using it with the VX1 remote.

hiya, would there be a possibility that this could work with the trampa wand at all ? :slight_smile:

Sorry for the delayed reply, I didnt get an email notification of your post and I spend most of my time on the esk8.news forum.

The uSplit may work with the wand, however there are two issues:

1. I do not recommend or condone the use of the uSplit with a UART ONLY remote. If the remote only gets info through UART that is ok, but as far as I know, the wand is only able to control the ESC through UART.

2. No one that I know of has tested the uSplit with a trampa wand

oh dam haha ! thats a shame, it just looks so much better than the wand display as it struggles to see in bright light. just a thought i know you said it wont work what if it was plugged into the second comm port on a duel vesc system ?

Im a bit confused on which devices you would like to use at the same time. Are you trying to pair the trampa wand with the metr pro or DAVEga X?

Like me i also have a wand im aiming to use with this, as one option

Hey @Ricco

Love your work, appreciate your public communication. Long time lurker, first time posting

Just wanted to provide some user feedback with the 3 Way UART USplit (i believe i got one of the original 50/6remaining off your website :smiley: just missed the tester giveaway) i dont think my unit was fw updated.

Anyway, VESC seems to continuously display a “Could Not Read Firmware Version, make sure selected port belongs to VESC” when connected to the Flipsky Bluetooth module.

i also seem to have fried it and a MAXGO Nelf Led controller (uses uart as well to note motor speeds for led illumination). I never confirmed if i wired the bluetooth unit as 3.3 or 5v and i interpret from your threads that i shouldnt mix 3 and 5v units. So okay i learned from my mistake.

However, i have a question for you, wondering if you have been able to note and fix the Bluetooth FW version issue?

Also, my expensive crappy little light controller frying has led me to try to develop my own firmware for a signal control system via rf and an arduino.

I was wanting to also ask if you were planning to open source or post more about the testing processes so we could all work to increase the amount of reliable, compatible devices?

Thanks again for all your work boss

When will these come off of backorder?

I actually found that I have one uSplit that did not make it into the last inventory count, so the website has been updated accordingly and it is available for purchase. I have also just ordered a batch of 25 uSplits that should arrive in about a month.

1 Like

Thank you for responding to this, my buddy is gonna let me get his that he doesn’t use anymore.