Turnigy D5035-125KV Sensored Brushless Motor

You really should open the motor and check the continuity of the hall sensor wires. My bet is on the wire failure and not the sensors. Are they even silicone?

1 Like

No, they are not silicone wrapped. Itā€™s a relatively stiff plastic insulator. I canā€™t be sure but Iā€™m hoping what happened is the wire bundle got trapped between my motor mount and my housing during turns, and that crushing action eventually caused a disconnect inside of the cable harness somewhere. There is no serious damage to the outside harness bundle, but the individual wires in the bundle have some cheap stuff plastic insulation on them so Iā€™m really hoping that it was that as it is relatively easy fix compared to opening the motor up.

There is threadlock on one of the screws in the motor, and it appears to be permanent thread lock. I really donā€™t want to have to hit the thing with a blow torch for fear of completely destroying it. right now it at least works in sensorless mode.

1 Like

Yuck, cheap plastic insulation :slight_smile: I would replace the complete harness once you manage to get in. You donā€™t have to nuke it. Go easy, have someone heat it up for you slowly while youā€™re trying to unscrew. It should loosen up.

Yep probably 5V but iā€™m not sure either and 3.3V is safe and they should work anyways.

A short or heat can kill these sensors.

Hey guys can you share your config? Iā€™ve mounted two of these beast (in foc mode) and I canā€™t get a smooth brake (-45amps). Another issue Iā€™m facing is the fact that if I connect the sensors the Vesc doesnā€™t work but even able to connect to my pc! Any ideas? Thanks !!

I never got them working, did you? Both my motors have them not working, if I connect them to the vesc, the vesc doesnā€™t boot.

I may be completely off here but I would do a search to see if your VESC can support sensored motors in FOC mode. I vaguely remember something about that not being a possibility.

But to answer your question, when the motor was new I was able to get it to work in sensored mode with a single 4.12 VESC (the hobbyking vesc) and man was it sweet. About 15 miles the sensor system crapped out. Not sure where the fault was: if it was the motor or the VESC. never bothered to fix it and I just ride it unsensored now. Still works well since itā€™s so torque-y. I really do like this motor.

@DAddYE

1 Like

Thanks mate, Iā€™ll double check in non foc mode! Iā€™m doing a diagonal setup on a riptide deck. Hopefully isnā€™t too much :slight_smile:

not sure where you got that infoā€¦:thinking:

vesc in FOC definitely supports sensored motors

1 Like

I switched up to a Graupner 12S 80Amp ESC and a Turnigy SK3 192 KV motor, and I have plenty of speed and plenty of torque.

https://www.graupnerusa.com/BRUSHLESS-CONTROL-+-T-80A-HV-ESC---BEC-Telemetry.html

I have not had any issue of any kind in several months.

1 Like

You should try a vesc thenā€¦

People who are running this motor, what max batt amps are you using Iā€™m planning to use these in dual. Hoping i can set battery amps to 45 for each motor, can they really go that high. How hot do they get?

I run mine at 40amps to be safe, plenty of power still even when used as a single. I havenā€™t ran them at 45 long enough to tell you if they can handle it over the long haulā€¦

okey nice, thanks for your answer, so you run 40 batt max and 45 motor max then right?

no, I run 65 batt (this is all dependent on the battery you are using), 40 motor, 20 breaking, sometimes 10 breaking

ooh okey thanks

Hi I just got my motors today :slight_smile: how did you figured out what the three colours at the wire standing for -red yellow blue - I can not find any specs online . Even at the turingy webpage - zero?

You mean the 3 big fase wires? Just connect them random to the esc/vesc if the motor rotates in the wrong direction, just switch 2 of those wires.

thanks a lot. And thanks for so fast response. Ive read basics about DC brushless motors - silly question, sorry should done my homework before !

1 Like

Hi sir, I have a question. How many pole pairs of the Turnigy D5035-125KV Sensored Brushless Motor?