Turnigy 50A VESC

evoheyax not having a go just fyi we (the drone racing community) are all on at least 4 cell these days, if not 5 or 6 now and we can wipe out a 1500mah in a minute,plus reach over a 100mph in a couple of seconds… I can definitely see the comparisons between these and drones, its what has brought me to giving this a crack, i did laugh when i saw an f4 on the esc’s though, we only use them for flight control at the mo, it’s nuts having that on an esc :slight_smile: I’ve been struggling to find 2 vesc’s for my rig and have some ties with the hobbyking crew so i’ve been considering trying these. what would you or anyone else recommend as an alternative, that’s not too expensive

Just throwing (another) 2 cents here: recently had a big order with hobbyking and there were faulty items. To their credit, they resolved my issue in less than an hour (!!!) and sent me replacement items, no additional costs and no further questions asked. So I can attest to their honesty and efficiency.

That is the advantage of dealing with large suppliers. as I said earlier, they deal with masses and small replacements like this are not worth their time or damaging their reputation.

Well your on that next level drone racing, hahaha. My point was mostly weight, cause those drones don’t weigh very much compared to a human. I can strap on some weights, and notice a fair size difference in amp draw.

I wrote about this in another topic. I’m a carryover from the FPV community. Rumor has it that Emax and DYS are releasing something similar to a VESC by the end of summer. I can tell you this though, now that HK is jumping in on this market, EVERYONE else is coming in. I hope this forum can handle the influx of new registered users haha.

3 Likes

Good news about emax, dys can bugger off though. Had too many of their Escs set alight on me I’ve vowed never again. When big business got into the drone community the big positive was the price drop, but also the service, product innovation, delivery times… everything was improved. It costs about a third of what it did, kit performs better and lasts longer. I know the developers will be worried about getting cloned etc but the big names in the early drone biz have managed to stay afloat and even thrive in spite of this, they’ve just got to up their game to meet the demand At the mo nearly 300 dollars for 2 Escs that are hard to find and constantly on back order is crazy. I got my board today, yet it could still be a month before I can kit it out wtf!

1 Like

I got in touch with Toby Osmond and Ian MacGregor from HobbyKing. They were very responsive and nice. The VESC-Product is offline now. There is no intention to clash with the TM. Ian apologized for using the TM. They were not aware of the fact, nor do they want to harm an OS-Project. We agreed to have a conference on Monday to find a suitable solution for HK.

So if you want to order a HobbyKing HW4.xx esc, you might need some patience, until the issue is solved and the product is online again, using a suitable new branding.

I thought it is better to post this, before any speculations arise why the product is offline.

Enjoy your weekend, Frank

12 Likes

Good to know this is resolved in a civilized manner between gentlemen. Cheers!

1 Like

Awesome news, hope it gets sorted/licenced soon. I live close to the uk warehouse so being able to pop and grab kit if and when would be great

Well if the original proyect is OSH and OSS they only need to branch the soft, rename the thing and not pay nada right?

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/motor-mount-5.html they are on back order not sure how this is Frank’s problem? If you don’t protect your copyrights or other trademarks then the courts see that as allowing it… also why should hobby king benefit from the brand they didn’t create and aren’t contributing to? If they pay Vedder or others who are working on the VESC and are given some limited rights to use the trademark in their advertising it’s different from just grabbing a trademarked name and slapping it on your product. If those who do R&D and put in the time and money don’t get any pay-out then it isn’t worth the risk to do the R&D so no (or inferior) product.

@jotatsu yup as far as I know it’s just a matter of using the trademarked name.

Legally, yeah. But I would not buy from them if they’re not giving back to Vedder, and I would highly discourage others as well (as I do with maytech). Generally they don’t give back because they’re trying to undercut it so much that they don’t have any room in the price to give back. Frankly, most of those end up having issues because they have to cut corners somewhere (looking at you maytech). Buy from someone reputibale and you’ll have a much lower chance of smoking something or even eating pavement/dirt due to a fault.

Well the thing with “corporate donations” so to speak for Open projects (at least coming from the world of software) is that when you donate to the company to donate to a third party you lose control of the donation and the company can do whatever they want with the extra money. It’s not a donation really, they are just bumping the price and saying that they are gonna donate maybe to the third party, not binding, maybe the OSS license have a loophole, IANAL etc.

For me (not saying is the best thing in the world) is:

• You put your project OSS and OSH instead of going commercial or dual license or w/e, then incoming money is a plus, not mandatory (donations, etc). There are some models that work in the way of doing money here, but you have to be upfront about them (maybe charge for software and not for hardware? or the other way?, maybe use a license that if the implementation is for profit you charge?)

• You are a company using a OSS or OSH, these guys lower your R&D budget so you donate part of that money to the creator or use those resources to improve the original project and contribute to the OSS/OSH. You credit the creator and encourage others to donate.

• You are an individual using the OSS or OSH, if you can’t contribute with the original project because reasons (knowledge, time, etc), you donate a little money to the creator. If you can you contribute to the project (even testing, suggesting and reporting problems is valuable)

I come from the world of OSS, and I’ve done the three. And also I’ve seen people that under a good Samaritan banner end up damaging or taking an OSS back to proprietary.

As for Chinese companies, they live under a hypercompetitive cut price environment, which is a really funny in contrast with west companies that say that can charge 5x or 10x because “we are so quality”, that in part they are, but also they hide that those prices are because logistics inefficiencies (because unless you are completely vertical, some stuff is going to come from somewhere, most of the time China), high salaries, taxes and because they want more profit per unit as they don’t move volume.

1 Like

Why not buy from them and donate to Ben yourself ?

It doesn’t solve the quality issues. And I enjoy soldering, so that’s a bonus :slight_smile:

Well put. I personally only recommend a few (who aren’t large corporations, IMHO): ollinboard/chaka, diy, axle, and sometimes enertion, as I think they are giving back properly (enertion has done a lot for exposure and does host this forum, though he has said that he doesn’t donate monetarily directly to Benjamin)

Me too. That’s why I wait for the VESC6 reference design to be OS released.

1 Like

there are plenty people here using them. You´re also able to find a few threads about it here. Just do your search :wink:

I use one from them, no problem so far.

I’ve used them for around a month with 10S and 6374 190kv motor. I had zero problem so far with BLDC mode.

Have you really tried? If you do a simple search like “Diy vesc” or “torqueboards vesc”, you will find 100+ threads about it…

2 Likes

i´ve been using one of this and so far so good… It has been 2 months, running with 6s with 220kv motor.

1 Like