Trouble flashing updated firmware on FOCBOX

If VESC-Tool can’t update the FW: 98% chance the boot loader is missing. You can flash the boot loader without using a ST-link. There is a boot loader tab in Vesc-Tool!

BLDC-tool is outdated and lacks certain safety features. It is not recommended to use BLDC-Tool any longer! Vedder strongly advises to switch to Vesc-Tool and always keep the device updated. VESC-Tool and Vesc-Tool mobile will inform you about available updates when connecting to the device. This way you don’t miss out the updates.

Recommending to use the old BLDC-Tool is no good idea. It lacks features like temperature headroom for brakes, which prevents a complete loss of brakes due to over temp shutoff. There are more safety critical updates in VESC-Tool that you should not miss out. It is very advisable to use the latest Vedder software only. There is a reason why VESC-Tool is compatible with old HW-designs like the 4.xx BLDC-Tool hasn’t seen any updates since VESC-Tool replaced it.

1 Like

Yup, absolutely agree with you on these points! Everything is updated. I just need to finish making a clear tutorial video and such.

Thanks everyone!

Have you always tried the same usb cable? Try a different one that can handle data.

I don’t recommend fw3.40. This one gives me over current faults when the combined motor amps reach 160amps.

No problem with 3.38 so far.

@trampa

2 Likes

I tried with different USB cables and still had issues.

Anyway, good to know about FW 3.40. I haven’t done enough testing but will keep it in consideration. On my non Focbox VESC, I am running FW 3.38 and it’s rock solid. I might downgrade the FW on the Focboxes.

What were your motor and battery current values when you had the fault issue?

On my board, the motor is set to 50A and battery is 30A. My friend’s board settings are 60A and battery is 60A as he has stronger motors and a bigger battery than me. Both have gone hundreds of miles without any issues.

As long as the absolute max current on each esc is set to 160 amps it won’t be a problem when the combined motor amps don’t reach 160 amps.

In your case with 50 motor amps you would be safe since the combined current would only be 100 amps.

I have tried with 80 amps which is at the limit and it will cut off the power when I hit it in fw3.40. No such problem in 3.38.

My settings were in 3.40:

Motor amps 80 and 100 and 120 -60

Battery amps 60 -30

Since neither one of you have a combined motor current value of over 120amps there is no problem since the default absolute max current in fw3.40 is 130 amps.

1 Like

Excellent info, thanks for sharing! You might just have saved me and many others from a nasty high speed fall!

I’d like to think so yet I have yet to hear from anyone else with the same problem.

I’d also like to think so that I can’t be the only one here who’s run fw3.40 and gone over combined 130 or 160 motor amps for a dual setup.

Mind you I did have to test this while sitting on the board for 1 I’m leaning madly forward to counter act the torque and 2 for the fear that when it does cut off I can’t be thrown off since that was the case with 3.40.

It’s times like these I wish you know who was around to confirm shit like this.

1 Like