Transporting DIY Builds internationally

so you are a certified aircraft mechanic who is planning to willfully break IATA regulations ?

4 Likes

oh and BTW the UK CAA are getting really heavy, the penalty for not working within the rules: The penalties for non-compliance can be severe – an unlimited fine, sentenced to two years in prison, or both

I can only assume other countries civil aviation authorities are doing the same

1 Like

I think you are missing the whole point of the regs.

The idea is to keep the amount of lithium small enough to be able to deal with in flight and in a place where the fire can be dealt with, i.e. in the cabin not the hold

1 Like

you can get a big pack on a plane, just not a passenger plane. needs to cargo only aircraft, declared, packed to UN standards and shipped and signed off by someone with a hazardous goods certificate

1 Like

I don’t think that is the case. just do a quick google search of lipo fires and a lot of people are reporting fires due to under-discharging packs

there is also the chance that something else in other baggage starts a fire

do you understand the “swiss cheese” approach to avoiding aviation accidents?

It’s against the law, end of discussion. Do it and get fined/imprisoned if you wish but Luke is 100% correct.

5 Likes

I realised it, if you haven’t noticed, and ended the discussion as well…

One big thing you miss. Not only the fire is dangerous, also the smoke which comes out of the cells when they short. Even if you discharge them to 3v. I had a LiIon fire in my flat and i can say you it takes exactly 30sec till a 35sqm room is filled with smoke. If that’s happening in a plane where you have very restricted ventilation I don’t want to imagine how it would end.

2 Likes

The point is just don’t do it… You are endangering yourself and others… :slight_smile:

1 Like

No, neither of things are clear unless you say them. We cant see you.

You need to calm down jeez… you were pretty aggressive through this whole discussion… :slight_smile: Just my 2cents

mate chill tf out. it wasn’t your English. its your persistence that doing something illegal will be all fine and dandy. Discharging to 3vpc doesn’t magically reduce the amount of lithium in a battery. all you need is a small indent in the cell or a tiny short and it’ll go up in flames.

on this forum, don’t try to start shit. thank you

2 Likes

I’ve read in places it’s a good practice to call up your airline and see how they handle dangerous goods, as each airline has certain internal procedures and guidelines that can be followed to make things easier and safer @mynamesmatt

2 Likes

@kalebludlow yah that’s what imma do