Transporting DIY Builds internationally

G’day all, Pretty much, here’s the situation. I live in sydney Australia and i have a diy board which i love. Its got 4 turnigy nano tech batteries on board which are each ~84wh. Sometime this year i wanna take my board to Germany. now the thing is that my batteries can be removed from my enclosure so that they are all separate. So i should be able to travel with these…right?

My question here is, has anyone travelled internationally with their builds and if so did you need to sign any prior forms or what was the process to get your board on the plane? (Also which route and what airline). Do you box up the board, check it in and take the batteries on board with you or whats the go? Ik ik long ass question but any helps appreciated

3 Likes

you should be all good.

pack the batts as per regs and carry in your hand luggage and put the board in checked in baggage

3 Likes

see there’s still that small “im not sure if there’s some dumb ass rule regarding it” that makes me uncomfortable

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.iata.org/whatwedo/cargo/dgr/Documents/passenger-lithium-battery.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwj3w_3cuvffAhVsQRUIHfA-BF4QFjABegQIARAB&usg=AOvVaw0Tn-50JSvadCM8nIbydhnL&cshid=1547818910721

but rules change regularly and quickly hence the “should”

1 Like

i am going to use lipos in my commuter build so i can travel with it

2 Likes

it might be worth printing that out to take with you in case you encounter a difficult person at security, the level of competency and fuckery vary widely from country to country and various airports

2 Likes

yeah thats what im most concerned about

The only thing I can recommend you, pack your motors in your hand luggage too. I was flying once with two outrunner in my checked in bag and I had to come to the luggage after check (don’t know how it’s called :sweat_smile:) I needed to unpack everything and show what it is. I had enough time and it was just a small airport, so no issues after, but if you check in motors, be prepared that they will call you out because of it.

2 Likes

why though lol? do they think its a bomb or…?? xD

Let’s say if it’s a good security control I would also look a bit closer if I see a big round thing with massive copper windings on the x-ray :joy: It’s totally fine to fly with, they just want to know what it is. If you fly from Germany keep your ears open for: Herr Mathias bitte zur Gepäcknachkontrolle kommen! :joy:

5 Likes

I didn’t fly with batteries but I took my non powered board. I just wrapped it in ton on bubble wrap and checked it in sports baggage. Arrived without problems. I took 2x 3a5s lipos in hand luggage and no problem. But I recommend discharging them to store levels and shrink wrap the connectors individually

1 Like

I’m really interested to see how this works out in practice :slight_smile:

should be pretty easy, will use balance connectors going to the BMS so it’s nice and easy to pull out the packs. Should also save a little bit of weight compared with li-ion cells

What about bigger battery packs like 500Wh and let it go in non-hand luggage?

Or what if I take only battery pack into hand luggage and put on it a professional looking label saying 50Wh? xD

1 Like

would need to go on a cargo only aircraft

don’t, because this: image

5 Likes

those packs or cells that took down that aircraft were professionally built

are your packs certified? i.e. had drop and pressure testing done?

1 Like

There’s no 100% security when dealing with batterys… If you are on an airplane you are not only risking your live but the lives of hundres of people :slight_smile:

1 Like

here are IATA’s regulations image

1 Like

I know this, I studied as a aircraft mechanic, even have the certificate.

In my opinion, they still have enough energy to blow up an airplane… You know pressure loss and so on :slight_smile: