Trampa Street Carve NYC Style

in the end, wheels being pointless or not, a truck shouldnt die from fatigue by just riding it with the wheels of your choice. thats something trampa has to check out! Im a little uneasy too, because I thought the vertigo was the most stable version :worried:

I would always like to see a pic so I can keep an eye out for similar symptoms!

2 Likes

Yes, that point of view has a lot more sense.

I’ve been using the MBS on crappy roads with US$ 40 caliber trucks for more than 6 months and they never died from fatige not even a single crack, why would it fail on a US$ 200 set of trucks? It doesn’t make any sense besides a flaw in design

are all your wheels balanced?

I use suspension trucks like Avenue/Bangfish, they don’t do much on small cracks but they eat up the big hits

@whitepony I like the MBS wheels and think the pimples help a bit on grass and dirt and most important, they look cooler :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Guys, the Vertigos never failed in more than 10 years. Since 2013 I ride street wheels of all kinds, never having any issues. Currently I build up a board using the very first set of carve trucks ever made (from 2013). These had been in a demo fleet and saw some serious mileage. Carve trucks are wider than regular trucks and feature a complete different design. So don’t compare them to longboard trucks. Vibrations are never a good thing, since they kill everything, especially your electronics, solder joints and battery nickle strips. I think the knobbles cause a vibration that resonate in the hanger and finally split it.

The design of the wheel is also conical due to the de-moulding issue. So they have very little contact patch. I don’t know the rebound of them, all I know is that we use super high rebound urethane, which makes the ride smooth and dampens most vibrations. I agree with @whitepony: These wheels give the impression you could go off road with them and ride on terrible surfaces. For off road and trails you need much bigger wheels and they should be pneumatics. You buy in this false impression with a terrible performance on the road and off the road. There is a reason why longboards wheels look like they look and why of road boards are on big pneumatics.

Its like all season tires: Not good in the winter, not good in the summer. You can’t squeeze the best of both worlds in one product. But you can sell the impression that it works.

Frank

3 Likes

yeah, same here. I’m pushing the Vertigos for two years now with some 12S in the woods, hard terrain, city and ledges riding, they really take this huge amount of stress, for miles and miles. I just need to get some new wheels as mine are starting to show some serious signs of wear and they are now getting unbalanced but this is more something that’s on my side.

1 Like

I’ll post a picture of my 2013 Street carve trucks tonight. No signs of wear at all.

Frank

This is a fair point to make, but like with almost all devices and system in the market, there are limitations for each application.

Here we have encounter a limitation on the design and it does not make the design any less effective. Just it will have to be declare as a known issue.

An analogy could be that of a knee or an elbow. They can rotate along it’s longitudinal axis, they can bend almost 180 degrees on one direction but it is well know and really painful if you even dare to try to bend it on the opposite direction, this does not make that articulation design any less.

Coming back to the vertigo truck, the hangers can take impact very well and are one of the more robust trucks in the market, of this I have plenty of experience from my kite landboarding days.

On the MBS wheels. I have use them for a year and half, even with their low rebound urethane there have not be any adverse effects due to vibrations, this is mainly because of the way the RKP truck is constructed.

The impacts from the road are transmitted from the hanger via bushings on the kingpin and a bushing in the pivot cup.

This urethane/metal transition interface mitigate any adverse vibrations. That is why we can get away by using low rebound urethane like the MBS.

Check this illustration

Anyway, so far this combination can be avoid, just we will get better urethane wheels and I will not have the tank looks of the MBS :cry: unless ABEC11 can provide some of those 107mm electric flywheels :grin:

I’ll keep you posted.

5 Likes

Can we get a Pic of where their cracking ?

It’s hard to believe a wheel’s Rebound is Responsible , …do we have to ride on perfect asphalt now ?,…rough asphalt will cause a lot of vibrations also,…with Any wheel ???

Dammn… first the Wheel Core now the Trucks !

I feel you man

I’ll post a picture when I get home, so you know where to look.

This development intrigues me and will be a nice problem to solve, the good thing is that it falls right in my aisle of speciality, seismic resistant design and structural analysis.

At the moment this is the initial factor since this never occurred while using pneumatics or 97mm abec11 flywheels that provide a proper dampening of the vibrations.

Like I said before I’ll investigate and try to get to the source of the issue, because I am always riding with my guy and that’s my number one priority.

14 Likes

My point of view is no matter what wheel or terrain I’m riding into, if a $20 truck on MBS wheel hasn’t cracked on anyone ever, a Vertigo truck should not crack either and I expect it to be much more resistant.

If there is an improvement to be made on the truck then just develop it, maybe V2 with reinforced point, but do not blame the wheels competitor.

3 Likes

you should try to put some ABEC11 Flywheels on this and report back. This MBS wheels looks like toys !

I don’t understand why there is so much hate from people that have not tried MBS wheels before. Useless? Worse on road? They look like toys? The dampening between abecs and MBS is pretty similar. The people that have MBS wheels seem to like them, including me. @kaly I could be wrong, but you seem to like them as well.

This is the most reasonable way to go about it. But first I will be investigating the path to failure on this case. that way something can be done.

Remember I was running abec11 on this before the MBS, I’ll test and report.

My second built is a vanguard with 100 mm MBS wheels. the same I am using now, they are not abec11 but I like them anyways, some of my friends do not like them but I really enjoy them :slight_smile:

1 Like

haha, @Kaly sorry I missed you two, pier 57 is a regular spot for us now its warmer! No issues with MBS for me yet, but have only ridden them on @psychotiller and evolve trucks so far no problems.

Also tried a larger deck over spring break, for family-style see https://www.instagram.com/p/BS68g4dAIRp/?taken-by=carvonskates&hl=en

That deck is tempting, much more room for the group :grin:

I’ll be keeping an eye on my Infinity hangers as well.

First ever made Trampa Carve Truck Prototype from 2013, still alive despite being sent out to ride centres and personal use for a long time. The inner spring position is drilled straight through the slim bit of the original MTB cutout pattern + counter sunk. I just ripped it apart to see if any cracks can be seen. NO CRACKS!

As Kaly stated, this truck follows a complete different design philosophy and uses springs instead of a urethane bushing. Heavy vibrations of a certain (maybe unlucky chosen) frequency may resonate through the hanger into the springs and back. Do not use these knobby urethane tires with this kind of truck design! End of the Story.

We design our stuff predominantly to work with our parts and I do not design things to outlast any combination of parts available today and in future. That is simply not possible. And I will not change our design because someone starts selling a wheel I personally don’t believe in at all. I have the feeling people buy it because of the look and believing the story you could take your street board off road, using street size wheels with some knobbles on.

We do not try to sell a story but rather a perfect working product - horses for courses. 100mm knobby tires are not part of our product universe - and will never ever be. You will see other brands copying this design - not us.

Its always a combination of different factors causing a problem. A+B+C+D = Has to work perfectly is not always given. Many products are inter compatible today because industry standards exist. We have no real standards in our industry and combining stuff means experimenting. This is why forums like this one exist and the same troubles can be avoided if you inform yourself. I wrote a PM to @halifax21 to warn him, so he does not go through the same mishap.

DO NOT USE THESE WHEELS IN COMBINATION WITH OUR TRUCKS!

IF YOU WANT TO GO OFF ROAD, GET YOURSELF SOME REAL OFF ROAD WHEELS (PNEUMATICS).

TRY TO AVOID VIBRATIONS - YOUR ELECTRONICS AND ANY OTHER PART OF YOUR BOARD + YOUR BONES, KNEES AND MUSCLES WILL BE VERY VERY THANKFUL!

Cheers, Frank

7 Likes

@Kaly, try to put some 1.5mm rubber pad under the lower spring retainers. Ride them vibrators again and we will see. I’m always thinking how to solve issues… This simple tweak could resolve your matter. You could also try to drop some rubber in between your truck and deck to keep vibrations away from the electronics.

The beauty about stuff failing is finding simple tweaks to prevent stuff to fail in future.

Frank

3 Likes

i doubt they’ll be an issue. the only issue i’ve had with those wheels is breking traction a little too easily around curves at speed, but i think tat’s just because i’m used to Kegels. ABECS break traction even easier but i guess i expect it.

1 Like