Track racing - set up and riding style

I get 17 degrees and then full stop. I can then push it to 20 degrees before wheels lift. But the last 3 degrees dont feel right. I have not tried cones yet. Or I had them in but took them out without trying them. They didnt feel right (did not change the dead stop feeling as I thought they might do). I will try them again and see. I only have one set. I have a set of tkp coming at one point.

2 Likes

Today it was front wheel drive day!!

I had done the work of swapping baseplates and bushings and invited the motor direction. The setup was not completely the same as last week as there was something with the distance between the wheels that I could not get to be the same because of stuff with the drivetrain and more. But it was close. I also had changed the rear boardside bushing from fatcone to a barrel in the same duro 90a.

I took off and it felt really good. Its hard for me to put my finger on what it was. It just felt good. ā€œmaybe its the ā€œchange somethingā€ phenomena we know from General Motors that I have experienced through all for this. Its like every time I make a change it feels betterā€. Anyway it felt good. Something had changed with the steering and it felt good to have most of the weight in front where I also have the most of my body weight.

I did like ten minutes going easy, getting to learn the new setup. I started to put more effort and speed in to the laps AND THENā€¦ In the first lap where I put it all in there, the rear wheels slid in a heel side 90 degree corner. It was like the board just vanished under my feet and I had no chance of recovering. mmmā€¦ that took the good spirit out of me for the rest off the session, and I never got really fast today.

I am still trying to figure out what happened. It was going really well in that lap. I felt I was flying. Maybe I simply had to much speed into the corner. I defiantly had more than I used to, but in a controlled way and it felt good. Maybe it was because I accelerated to quickly out of the corner. The acceleration takes away some of the turning grip. Maybe the lesser weight from the move of the motors to the front decreased the grip in the rear. Maybe it was because there was a lot more dead rubber on the track today. They told me that the karts all had gotten new wheels this week which drop rubber more. But they said that the dead rubber normally makes the karts grip more. I donā€™t know but I fell :slight_smile:

I experienced one time a slight spin in one acceleration. It must be important to really keep most of the weight in the front.

But there is something about this front wheel drive and set up I had today that felt really good. I will keep the set up and continue next week and see if I can get closer to why it feels good and see if I can be really fast with front wheel drive.

7 Likes

Luke experienced oversteer at the Evolve world cup in San Diego with the Front Wheel Drive StoogeRaceBoard! Might need to change the weight bias when going Front wheel driveā€¦ IMG_3481

4 Likes

When you swapped drive train did you leave the rear tires on the rear?? Ingraved on the inside lip of the wheels are compound numbers. 410 50a and go on the front. 405 is 45a, 5a softer and go on the rear. The lighter weighted side gets the softer compound race wheel.

3 Likes

This style of track racing has a low percentage of long straight sections so I suggest running the bushings loose with virtually no compression especially the front. This will allow for quick changes in direction and if the bushings are the correct duro and a compound like KranK, you will be able to dive hard into them and they will support you in the turns. The Carveboard I am experimenting with does not have any preload capability so I am finding some previously unrealized advantages of a loose center.

3 Likes

I think thats how I had it Yesterday. Dobbelt barrel krank and just tightened so the slope in the hanger was gone. 87 in front and 90 rear. It felt good but the sudden stop from the seats was now and then was irritating. I have a set of 87 cones. I might try to have them in front and the 87 barrels in rear. I also have two sets of 93 barrels I could play with.

3 Likes

@MoeStooge 50mm CP wheels right there. :+1:

@davidbonde

1 Like

Holy Baby Jesus. This is a long thread. There is a lot of good information here.

The little bit of track racing I have done. I learned that urethane wheels grip nicely before the track gets dusty, then pneumatics with less air pressure excel in performance. Stooge race wheels are the exception, they are super grippy and I feel that once he makes an adapter to mount his wheels on regular skateboard trucks. Thatā€™s all we will see on e-boards at the track and uphill.

With a lot of turns and a max speed of about 25-30mph in a straight away, you can use softer bushings in a split angle downhill setup. This will keep you from having to replace your feet in turns. Also if you use a front foot stop and a Wedge rear foot stop. You can heal into the rear wedge during turns for sharper turns with less lean and more control under throttle. The front foot stop will allow you for harder braking without falling off. P.S. if you use a rear wedge youā€™re going to want to put a little softer bushing on the rear roadside because of your new center of balance and weight distribution over the board.

As far as decks for track use. I like top mounts over drop through because the front truck is closer to my front foot and allows for more steer. Also, Because of my stance. I like using a fairy short deck 43ā€. I like to use a rear foot stop and stand with my feet about shoulder width apart, Soā€¦ a shorter deck brings the rear truck closer to my center of balance over the board and allows me an even turn radius under throttle.

Another thing I have found is FWD and crossWD (1f/1rD ollin style) setups give a better overall feel with less slip than RWD or Solid axle AWD. I have not tried an AWD with independent drivewheels. But might be really nice.

Good luck with your build!

6 Likes

Short update.

I said it before and I will say again. This is hard!!! 3-5 laps full effort and I need a break or need to decrease the effort significantly!

No best time today. Its hard constantly chasing best time, so today I focussed a bit more on ā€œjustā€ getting flow and doing laps sub full effort.

The setup was the same as last week (did swap wheels so the softer duro was in the rear). It feels pretty good, but now its second time without time drop. Will keep the fwd one more week and change back if I still donā€™t get close to time drop.

What Biggest take home from todayā€¦ DO NOT THROTTLE FOR REAL BEFORE YOU HIT THE APEX.

3 Likes

Gotta try this. Would be nice to have something to push in to. Especially in backside turns pushing with the toes. Frontside turns I grab and pull the board. Thinking of having a handle to grab.

Deck wiseā€¦ I have a top mount but with a drop. The drop gives me something to push against but it takes the front foot away from the truck.

My guess would be that this is most useful in a race with more people on the track. Here you need to be able to do a tighter turn in order to pass in a less perfect raceline. For going fast without any other on the track I fund that the board can be set up so it fits the perfect race line giving me more stability under acc. and deacc.

I think the perfect set up for track racing is a bit different from what I have. My thoughts are a deck without drop. Something to help push against with feet. And handle/s to grab and pull in turns.

1 Like

Hey mate, once again, itā€™s really cool to read you !! I made my 1st real ride/cruise on the track this WE. (I went there the day before to try the board of a customer in a dry and safe environment. Absolutely not set for the track, especially without binding ^^)

With my Burgunboard, it was a looot moore easier ! and fun even without power under the throttle. Itā€™s awesome! And insane how your body works more than during an outdoor ride ā€¦ I got to practice a lot :smile: 10min and Iā€™m dead, legs cut, hard breath :blush:

I re-read all once again and will start to try to practice some tips and see how to perform both setup and the race !! Thanks a lot for sharing guys :+1:

6 Likes

Cool @Riako - Yes its bloody hard :smile: Glad you fund it exciting. Hope we can do some track together some day.

2 Likes

Okā€¦ awesome day at the track today. I was flying. Everything just felt goooood. Guess it was one of those days where I couldnā€™t do anything wrong. Didnā€™t change anything from last week.

I ended up focusing on wide turns in some of the corners. Wider meant faster. And concentrating on hitting the apex close to the barrier.

I was pretty consistent today. If I put in the effort I was easily under 37sec. every lap. I havenā€™t been this consistent before.

I donā€™t know about front wheel drive though. Had a couple of over steers and some spinning when accelerating now and then. The spinning comes when I move my front foot between corners. I need to move the foot. I need the edge to push against in both frontside og backside corners. I will leave it fwd for now though.

Looking forward to see if the extra stability from a longer board does something good for me when the 44 comes from Jamie. And to see what the tkpā€™s will do.

New best time - from 36.66 to 36.29.

41.50 sec 40.50 sec. 38.93 sec. 38.53 sec. 37.67 sec. 37.49 sec. 38.78 sec. 37.19 sec. 36.96 sec. 36.66 sec. 36.29 sec.

8 Likes

Vesc traction control will stop spinning with very sharp turns where a wheel is unweighted. Or maybe it will even make it harder to slide out in a corner. Front drive!:+1:

2 Likes

Knocking on that 35sec lap bracket. Watched your short video on FB. You can see the smooth transitions and speed happening. Samo may have his hands full at World Cup in Germany if you deceide to race the wild card this year :checkered_flag:

3 Likes

How do I apply that to my foc boxes?

Itā€™s in Germany this year? Do you have more info like dates and city?

Need use canbus n thereā€™s a traction control option. Itā€™s awesome. So quickly it registers a spin and stops it before you even knew it was happening. Great on the sharp turns and wet leaves

4 Likes

I use canbus. Do I find the option in the perimeter app?

Canā€™t remember exactly but look around n there

1 Like