Track racing - set up and riding style

If you have vesctool you could reverse the motor sens :v: Edit: or directly with an apps like metr.pro

2 Likes

I am using perimetr and metr. Is it possible from these apps.

1 Like

Yes, it is what I used :wink:

Adit: but now its named expert mode in Metr app or something like that.

2 Likes

This thread is driving me insane. It describes exactly what I want to be doing… huge thrill, the best way to get to understand your board geometry and dynamics and all in a safe and controlled environment.

It’s driving me insane because there isn’t a single kart track in the Netherlands that will allow us esk8rs to come and play :sob: Seriously! We’ve got the money and the numbers and all our own f ck ng gear! I don’t get it.

What’s your secret, @davidbonde? Are these guys friends of yours or are the Danes just a bit more friendly?

6 Likes

Yeah… I feel really lucky. There are a couple of kart tracks near me. This one has electric karts, so I thought that they might be more prone to letting electric skateboards in. I went there in person and talked to them. They were very friendly. They had to think a little about price. It is a business and even though they would love to help, they also wanted to earn a little. They let me in just before opening hour where I can have an hour for my self. If I wanted to come in their opening hour I would have to pay what the can sell an hour of track racing for.

Its a really nice place and they are pretty proud of it. They have real race asfalt laid and because its electric karts there are no spill or anything on the track.

I think its the perfect solution. I come and do my thing. They dont have to be involved at all, and they have people there anyway, so they get a little extra income.

7 Likes

“back up your entry.” eh, @MoeStooge? Esk8 racing is transforming really fast (and technical)!

On the other hand, you guys haven’t think about changing the race track format? You ever consider doing race tracks with larger format, less curves and longer straights? Less Karty, sort of speak? Personally I think those mouse maze-lilliput cornering-convoluted track layouts are so annoying. These boards are so powerful but become limited by the short straights and multitude of curves that there is no chance to see their true potential. Now I understand why in the US people like ovals intead broken auto racing circuits. Oval straights are where true race vehicles show their top performance. These layouts are like those from Kart competition, so short and curvy, that from horizontal stand point all racers appear to overlap each other you don’t really know who is at front and who is where (??) Nuts! Like racing inside a Bathtub!

2 Likes

In Redmond Washington the local velodrome gave us permission to ride on it if there isn’t a race happening. I’ve been thinking it would be cool if we did a race there. You could really let all that power loose. (Although most of the riders here are on boosted boards so they can’t go faster that 22 lol)

5 Likes

What the perfect track sauce is? Each try on a course or track configuration brings new thoughts and challenges. We try to bring the best effort to what’s in front of us. Right or wrong board set-up, we learn and get better. I like the idea of having a board capable of being tuned to the apication, whether running a flat out or short track. Some may find a board purpose built to suit a track layout better. What’s right? Well it’s what wins.:checkered_flag::checkered_flag: And we hope by the next one it’s someone else with a better sled is changing the game again. End result is that Joe Cruiser has a more stable, manuverable and reliable ride. As for track layout, let’s try all of them. The uphill at Barrett poses a whole new different dicipline of rider and machine. Should be fun and there is a pigpile we will learn from it. What @davidbonde has is fantastic opportunity to explore his board set-up and make factual comparisons. Something that is getting done the right way. Short trackers can take David’s work to the bank.

7 Likes

The Barrett is the discipline these animals were created for. I like that one much better than those Lilliput broken tracks where you don’t know whats happening (just personal taste). I’m more of the Indy 500, the LeMans or the Tour the France type of guy.:yum:

2 Likes

I wanna see downhill mayhem… A to B races with both hairpins and straights and all of it. Wreak havoc with those sick machines and see how fast we can go compared to analog downhill!

Uphill is good but you know, I’m the kind who’d love to see Pikes Peak hillclimb reversed for once.

2 Likes

I want a rally cross style race, multiple terrains, long distance, time trails.

I want all the races… lol

Hell even the last man standing circle8 would be fun

7 Likes

I felt really good on the track today. Comfortable and in control.

I changed the gearing from 16/42 to 13/42 (it is really hard to find 12t or 18t with keys). This gearing felt really good. Did not reach max speed and I felt that the acceleration was plenty. Braking felt better as well. When the battery drained it felt like the acceleration and speed did not suffer as much as the other gearings I have tried. I might have fund the perfect gearing for this track. I will try to find a 12t and see how that feels. (If you want to know why I tried this gearing, read Moe´s suggestion in his post a little up.).

Focus was the same as last week. Out of turns in a straighter line. Finding the correct entry speed. beginning to actually break before a turn. Looking at the apex of the turn.

Today I could really lean in my frontside turns. Same feeling as with the six shooters. This is a great feeling and I think it makes me use more of the wheels grip. I have not maxed out the grip so I defiantly have more to gain from the grip.

I had my first slip of the race wheels. This was after a break where the wheels had collected a lot of dead rubber and stuff. I did not clean the wheels before I started and it was the first turn, and I hit it hard. It was a controlled and slow slip. Good to experience how a slip with these wheels feels like. Makes me more secure that it was not a sudden and fast slip.

I did two new best laps today first 37.09 and when a few laps after I broke the 37 limit so now the best lap time is 36.96

41.50 sec 40.50 sec. 38.93 sec. 38.53 sec. 37.67 sec. 37.49 sec. 38.78 sec. 37.19 sec. 36.96 sec.

Next week we will have our second groupe ride on the track. Looking foreward to that.

6 Likes

Great report! Lap-times dropping. How long till the 44" red-ember gets there?

4 Likes

I can turn and carve really hard with 6 shooters but as I’m seeing pnumatic tires flex while turning way more than regular skate wheels so they kinda pop you back and forth as you carve and actually feels nice but for high speed cornering I would not have the same confidence as my 107s because of that extra movement. I once planned for. 50+ mph 6 shooters build and I did make it but pnumies just don’t feel safe above 30mph they get Shakey and wobble the faster you go and regular skate wheels feel glass smooth even at 47mph.

The good thing about pnumies is that if you can’t make that turn you can keep riding straight into the grass and not fall haha.

2 Likes

Yaeh I know… :blush: :blush: :blush:

Hopefully not long. Its getting made. I have the Xapham coming not the 44" but the Xapham is 44" as well and then more :slight_smile:

1 Like

I don’t have the same experience as you. On the track (tight cornering) pneumatics are PU superior. The grip can’t be compared. On the street I just love pneumatics. They give me all the confidence that PU wheels take. I have never been faster than 35.5 mph, so don’t know if I get faster than that. Moe’s race wheels are rubber as well. They have bigger contact path than the shooters, and the rubber are really sticky. Makes a slimy sound when I go slow.They have more grip than the shooters.

1 Like

Yea but his wheels are not air wheels. But I have way more cofidece at 30+ with PU wheels. Maybe a better balanced pnumatic wheel would work better.

1 Like

I’m really enjoying your trips to the track and your updates. Keep them coming! Great job experimenting and progressing. I’ve got a place with giant vacant parking lots right down the street from my house and I’m going to take some comes out there and set up a course when it stops raining. Try to setup something repeatable and figure out how to accurately time my laps. Not sure how to automatically time my laps though. There’s gotta be some inexpensive timing equipment out there somewhere.

3 Likes

I will try and measure the track I am on and set it up with cones out door, when summer comes.

Regarding timing. I use the app called LapTracker. Check it out:

2 Likes

This will give you something to easily setup and compare your progress with. Figure 8 Time Attack 5 laps (2 cones 20m apart; Start finish 5m behind first cone) Derek- 49.19 sec Moe- 50.63 Chris- 52.65 Matt- 57.4 Ian- 58.97 Will (Psychotiller’s board)- 60.15

6 Likes