Track racing - set up and riding style

So some already know my gif that I bring up when things turn south. Maybe this kitten will help to calm things down a little bit. :smile: giphy

10 Likes
2 Likes

Great. Weā€™re done here. Moving on.

Is that so huh? OK Iā€™m gonna prepare!

5 Likes

Haha. But the race down south soon is going to be pretty much a drag race and not my interest so much. Iā€™d love to see you guys beat the downhill record though and that would be a big sign. I think 44 mph we worked it out to be average. But want to race the tight track like this. A test of riding and not motors

3 Likes

Gotcha. I live on top of a nice hill in the forest now, will start training my legs haha

2 Likes

Arenā€™t u in France still? I remember your videos from up on ur balcony in an apartment building long ago, vividly still. Iā€™m coming to visit. I can stay on the roof hopefully. Actually Iā€™m not going anywhere. Just hyped on coffee. I lived in Paris long ago. They all speak English and didnā€™t learn any French. Just smoked lots of hash and cheap wine all the time ok back on topic!!!

4 Likes

Haha nice memory! Iā€™ve switched places but youā€™re welcome anytime bro. Got a nice couch + king size pneumatic bed & beers waitinā€™.

Now I live in French campaign tho, 2 hours trip from where my video was taken.

5 Likes

I donā€™t do pneumatics but if u have an 80 duro pu I would like that. . They take out the challenge of the terrain. Sure people think itā€™s great going over everything but I like the challenge. You could fall asleep riding those

O shit Iā€™m hyped and the bad jokes are seeming good. Thanks. See you all at the race

3 Likes

Deck: 33" wheelbase. For me a longer wheelbase makes a wider stance possible. It increases stance stability and allows leg leverage to be gained quicker over accel and decel saving transition time. Inherently a longer wb will increase stability. Short Track racing with my height 5ā€™5" i have found I like no less than 40" wb on an open wheel deck with a low gravity center with 30+" of foot spread. @treenutter makes a 44"x11" deck that I think hits these points nicely. For Short Track Racing, in the finals of World Cup, no one fast was grabbing a rail or moving their front foot. 16 turns in 32 seconds there is just no time for it. Board setup is crutial. Finding the softest duro bushings you can manage on the front and 10 duro heavier on the rear is a good place to start. You should be able to easily leverage your turn without touching your board or shifting your feet. I like rear stear taken out of the rear 50/40 split. It helps the rear wheels track inside the front and feels more stable when powering out of turns on soft duro bushings.
For the 52 riders at world cup not one set of urethane wheels made it through the semifinals. Every Short track race I have attended Urethane has been at a disadvantage to pnumatic rubber in the corner grip department.

18 Likes

From the horses mouth. This is why we are all eagerly awaiting the release of the moe racing wheels.

8 Likes

Fact. Man I love facts!

9 Likes

Not sure what speeds we will be making. Track is rough and should keep the speeds I suspect under 40mph. Will be a good time and everyone who runs the gauntlet will learn something from it. A great venue to test on a closed road. There is always the DH part. I plan on E-Boarding that as well. Would be great if you guys were there.:checkered_flag::checkered_flag:

5 Likes

theyre doing 44 average on the way down and it didnā€™t look like any of the wheels were bigger than the 83 centrax. actually it looked like almost everyone in the videos I saw was riding them. surely with power and maybe a more cushy wheel someone bold could break their downhill record going up. if that happens it wil be a statement. so far with your trucks and you past you seem the best contender

This scenario of go-kart tracks is exactly what Iā€™m DIYā€™ing my leiftech for :grin:

6 Likes

go kart track without the barriers would be even better, just cones or something. I keep imagining id go over a barrier on a go kart track and hit something vs just sliding out. be nice if we could go balls to theā€¦lack of walls. no need for closed roads or a special venue and just a parking lot would do to be able to make something as good as anything.

6 Likes

These are my experience and thoughts till nowā€¦.

I donā€™t find it optimal having to move the front foot around. But right now I have to in order to get enough leverage to cut the corners with speed. This is the first thing I will see if I can change. I will work with the truck clamping (having krank formular) especially in the front and maybe work with bushings. (@Alphamail do you think it makes sense to change the formular in order to change rebound and stuff?) And I will change the rear wedging from 25 to 35 to see how that effects things.

Grabbing: I follow the grabbing thing - something I have been thinking about. As it is now I feel I can keep a higher corner speed with grabbing and really leaning in to it. I can keep throttle almost all the way around a 90 degrees corner. Something I canā€™t do now standing. Will be interesting to see how that feeling change when I do the above.

TKP: @mccloed, now I have to try the tkp thing. Something tells me itā€™s gonna work better. And with your experienceā€¦ Did you run tkp with pneumatics? Speed are not high and in that light I thing tkp would work good. Guess I have to try myself.

I feel that the crucial part I need to control better are breaking right before a corner. Itā€™s here it gets sketchy most often. I find that wide trucks and pneumatics helps.

Wheels: I have tried both pneumatics and pu wheels. Not on the same setup so not completely comparable. I have tried the reflex formular from abec - they slid on me. No name pu - they slid on me. 80a kegel was really sticky and felt secure. But I do like the squeezy pneumatics better. But I have almost only been riding pneumatics the last year and are properly biased toward them. They have begun to whine now in corners but I have yet to experience them slipping. The track I am on they have this special asphalt formular that are specific for racing. Maybe that have something to say in which type of wheel are best. BTWā€¦ I do have a set of the eagerly awaiting race wheels heading my way shortly.

Am I totally off when I think that tight track racing really arenā€™t comparable with much other skateboarding. We need to find what works best here - right?

5 Likes

Have you ridden in NYC traffic? :grinning:

Lol broā€¦ First thing you will notice after swapping from pnuemies to urethane on the same turn you were doing with pnuemies you will be lying on your ass with urethane :wink: Talk about grip after you ride enough miles to talk. Because so far everything is based on your ā€œmagicalā€ experience :slight_smile:

8 Likes

I have zero esk8 racing experience. But have spendt a few years racing gocarts when I was younger. There are clearly some general tips that can be take from gocart/cars/motorbikes and be used for esk8 track racing. If urethane had more grip than ā€œpnuemiesā€ why dont we see that used on racing cars? I would look for softer compounds or maybe use chemicals thats used on gocart tires to soften up the material. I assume you already run lower pressure to increase the contact surface + heat up the tire?

The more comfortable you are - the faster you go. I would focus on 1 thing at the time. Having to move the foot around doesnt sound ideal. As others suggested, looser trucks seems the way to go. After that I would focus on apex and out of the corners stability/grip.

Lower centre of gravity is prefered as long you dont bottom out or the tires bounce on the surface.

5 Likes