Torsion trucks vs standard trucks

Yes this is exactly the discussion I’m looking for. I think we can agree that different riders are looking for different characteristics from their boards. I’m looking for a loose carving feel and very tight turning radious. If torsion trucks are simply crap what other options are there?

1 Like

A Surfrodz TKP will out turn that truck and be more stable every where else when you want to go faster.

My brother in law brought me a pair of these revenge trucks for a build I did for him. On a single motor the torque steer was terrible under accel and brake, even at low speeds. Bad idea for going faster than you can kick, just my opinion.

2 Likes

I’ve had skater kids jump on my board with torsion trucks and jump right off “dude I can’t ride that” Its a completely different animal.
Personally I prefer them on an eskate over anything I’ve tried thus far.

1 Like

Revenge Altered and other Torsion trucks all work on same principle of a single pivot point at the king pin. Not sure what hanger torsion is…

whoa, is that an dual inrunner direct drive???

1 Like

I’m learning more about torsion trucks and eskate history in general. Exkate patented them and started producing them in 1997 and continued up untill 2013. I’ve heard that Loaded was origonaly promoting Exkate/Altered 201 torsion trucks to be used on the Vanguard. Suposidly they had a writeup about it on their website but I haven’t been able to find it.
Nuclear pickles only came out in 2006 and were only produced for about two years. From what I can tell they only came with the board and were more of a toy then a serious truck.
E-glide also produced high quality torsion trucks although I don’t know how they got around exkates patents. They were never able to get around the remote patents… E-glide seems to still be running but only selling torsion trucks and parts for their aluminum G1 mountain board that in my opinion was obsolete before it came out.

1 Like

Torsion trucks don’t solve any problems that normal tkp and rkp trucks have, in fact I can think of a list of problems they introduce or need to be worked around. the patent on them and inclusion on a successful electric skateboard can be explained by it’s market and the resulting buyer of those boards, notice they were not skaters, but commuters, and the novelty of the truck was already played out in the skateboarding industry and failed long ago, so it did not turn people onto the new boards, what they did was introduce people like you to them, make promises and then sell you on a concept that was “different” not better, but it was just new and different and separated it from skateboards. What was the result? commuters and 1st timers buying them up and thinking they were great when they never rode or tuned a tkp or rkp truck in their lives and have nothing to compare it too…I think of the torsion truck designs as novel marketing, and it was good marketing, but it was nothing more…and I have tried just about every truck available, and have these very trucks you are speaking about, including the original eskate torsion truck that breaks three different ways due to quality issues and the Original S10 250mm Carving Trucks, to be honest, they are all crap compared to a quality rkp or tkp truck, period, and you should ride them all tune them all and see for yourself…there’s good reason the torsion truck marketing hype has been corrected, it needs to go away and die now…I cannot even get into the technical reasons why but I could talk all day about the merits of a rkp or tkp truck over any torsion design available or already failed in the market. Rohas is the only one worth talking about I think, it is legit and holds it’s own against trucks like the Delirium, Randal 125mm 35", Tracker RTS and some other rear traction trucks for ldp or pumping…but that’s about it. Giant longboard design like Ham, might use them due to the added height, like on Revenge trucks, but even then it’s a novelty, for cruising the boardwalk on a fun toy, not a performance machine…if you want a performance truck, get a performance truck, they have been perfecting the designs for years now and have come a long way…Liquids Fyres, Don’t Trip’s, K5’s, Arsenal, they make sick stuff, none of it packaged in a torsional design for many reasons…their introduction and popularity in electrics is a sign the electric industry needs more skateboarding injected into it and less over engineering of the already existing skateboard industry and their tools…

2 Likes

Its hard for me to take anyone seriously when they speak in absolutes, especially when we are talking about something that is obviously subjective.

4 Likes

They are absolutely the only truck design I’ve ever used that’s broken, internally and catastrophically, the forces applied to the “keys” is unnecessary. I skate on trucks from 105mm to 215mm, high and low, traditional kingpin and reverse kingpin and spring loaded and bushing and even tried the torsion. I ride Ace and Avenue in the park, Bolzen for cruising (ample rake), Arsenals for downhill, indy 109mm for freestyle and Bennet Vector/Tracker RTS combo for LDP, there is a truck for everything…and torsion trucks don’t really fit any needs in any form of skating and they break. Name one benefit they offer, no seriously sell me on them, healthy debate is good, why would anyone choose a torsion truck over proven existing designs?

I even have a set of these trucks in my garage right now, the trucks from a Raptor electric brushed skateboard, the bushings are almost a plastic, the keys in the bushings break after a few rides and I have seen a guys break the truck while simply tightening it, oh not to mention the lack of bushings to tune it for your weight and safety.

You could argue the torsion truck never slips side to side or lacks the “play” a bushing truck has but precision trucks with queen pins and spherical bearings also solve that issue perfectly well and are included in high end trucks like Ronin, Liquid and Don’t Trip, not to mention a regular truck puts the forces on both the kingpin and the pivot, while a torsion truck put all the for on the one main pivot. I also like the decades of bushing development on regular trucks while bushings are sort of an after thought and typically poorly implemented on torsion resulting on a fail of having any rebound and proper return to center…I honestly could go on all day about it, lol, and that’s the problem with them, when people begin to look into it and think about it, they make zero sense…

I have 3 sets of exkate 101’s and one set of E-glide trucks. I’ve put atleast 1000 miles between them I weigh 160 I have jumped off curbs and never broke one. The bushings do not last indefinitely and because of the keys when they are done they are really done. I agree that early exkate trucks were not “high quality” but thats not what I’m debating. My exkates have a 6 foot or less turning radius but unlike standard trucks its not a mushy start and then harsh to crush the bushing feel. The torsion trucks are more consistant through the process of the turn and back. I feel it makes the board more controlable and has a much more natural carving feel. By design they are weaker then standard trucks but they were never intended to be used for tricks.

1 Like

My revenge trucks came in the mail today. It may be a month before I have all my parts for that build.
Currently I’m riding a boosted v1 and a meepo with an exkate 101 on the front. It rides so much better then the boosted. I’m hoping the revenge trucks have the same radius and feel…

2 Likes

Question: does anyone know where to get the bushings for exkate specifically the purple and the black. Also looking for trucks new only

1 Like

It was probably 1998? when I got my 48” longboard I was told (at Purple Skunk in San Francisco) that eXkate matched the deck to go with their trucks. They also had a 34” or so setup, but I wanted long. But without the eXkates, I wouldn’t have picked up a board that day! On boards that long, traditional trucks are either too stiff too allow you to do any satisfying carving, or you have to loosen them so much that they’re totally sloppy and unstable. I haven’t tried the spring stuff, but as I start looking for an electric board, I’d be interested in something that allows for great carving (like my beloved eXkates) without slop. I’m curious what you’ve learned.