TorqueBoards motor mount comes loose

These new models look like they won’t have the same issue. They look solid.

Hey, I also had similar issues with putting Torqueboards mounts. It was a lot of pain. But actually it is possible to put them on tightly on the trucks, if you use a lot of force to torque them down.

This is what I did.

1. Get a BIG and strong wrench. A little hex tool is not enough.

2. The screws that came with my mounts were made from stainless steel, and it is very easy to strip them. After I stripped a couple of them and had a lot of problems with removing them, I decided that these screws are not good. So I replaced all screws and bolts with “Class 12.9 steel” screws from boltdepot.com

3. You need to torque the main big bolt that holds the mount really hard with a big wrench, so that the mount grips the truck tightly and does not move.

4. If you do step 3 correctly, I think that set screws are not really needed. (But you can still put them on.)

1 Like

Here ya go dudes

Now go install the thing right

@torqueboards hopefully you get a laugh at the end because i speak the truth lol :stuck_out_tongue:

25 Likes

@Deckoz Haha dope man! Perfect… You the man! I think you most definitely explained it better. lol

3 Likes

I only know because I argued with @mmaner previously because I was that dumbass using the drive handle on my first build over a year ago lol saying “I torqued it down”…no I didn’t…I’ve installed 50+ of them now… The only two that ever came loose were my first two…

3 Likes

Sooooo I can’t use THIS TOOL? images

19 Likes

No you cannot “Casey” it

3 Likes

Yeah, I only technically need two of those set screw holes. But they do need to be torqued down. All four are added just because.

@fuzzyspikez @ROFEN13 @Bjork3n @intensivegecko @ZackoryCramer @ATLesk8

Could you guys let me know if you guys installed it as specified above. http://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/torqueboards-motor-mount-comes-loose/50972/43?u=torqueboards @Deckoz post.

If your still having the issue after above. Let me know. I’ll still work on making it easier but I do feel this is the best option.

You can use a T Tool. I do, but it’s definitely a high quality T Tool that doesn’t deform when torquing it down.

1 Like

I did torque mine down with a handle like you are using in the video. But its very easy to strip these screws if you force it too much and if that would happen it would really ruin my day. I use the proper tools and no cheap hex.

Sure i can try torque it more but if my bolt strips or snaps would i be covered ?

1 Like

@Bjork3n You shouldn’t have to strip your bolts. Not sure how you can strip an M8 Set Screw but sure… I’ll send you a new one if you strip it. It’s not a button cap bolt.

I’ve put upwards of 50lbs on these set screws. You’re talking about m8 inside of 7075 or 6083 …you’ll likely not have the strength to strip them unless you are talking about the head and you aren’t using a hardened bit

3 Likes

I’m more likely to break my tool before stripping the bolt. I hope we’re talking about the same bolt @Bjork3n

3 Likes

Im talking about the head where the hex tool sits when tightening the bolt. If this would strip i would be stuck with a bolt that i cant remove.

If i have the time i will try tomorrow.

@Bjork3n - I really doubt you can strip it. Go ahead. I’ll cover you. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Likely to strip your bit before the head, and if your rounding the head your using an imperial but instead of metric.

It is H4.0 head

Just make sure you pull the mount back like I explained in the video, as strikes if it is riding on screws will make it walk. It needs a flush contact

2 Likes

I think @Deckoz @Bjork3n is in Sweden. So he’s good. No Imperial!

1 Like

Last one, I promise. 2507765-76b40_5a5631bb-7bf6-4d74-9b08-db0b2c1440a1

6 Likes

Haha ok scratch the imperial then lol… I wouldn’t use it either if I didn’t live in the US :joy::joy:

1 Like

I favor metric lol… I still don’t understand USA measurements lol.

2 Likes

on my motor mounts I just chucked an allen key inside a 4ft pipe, grabbed the end of the pipe and pull like hell, stripping an m8 set screw is physically impossible. I had 4ft of extra leverage and I couldn’t do it

that mount is damn solid

5 Likes