Torqueboards 12s setup, wont drive, just binds up

@Sharkface - I wouldn’t say it’s sold under par parts. I have tons of boards and each uses the same on/off switch and it works perfectly fine.

More so it’s the way people connect it and burn out the mosfets.

However, I am working on offering a higher quality option.

@lox897 - I’ll take a look at those. Thanks for the heads up.

I’ve also used the BreakerSwitches and my first one lasted like 6 months and all the ones after ended up breaking within less than a month. Tested about 3 more after the first and gave up on them. But yeah, as @psychotiller mentioned. I’m pretty sure it was do the spark.

I like to use 5.5 bullet connectors because there handy when running batteries in series and charging them separately. this way I don’t need to use a series cable adapter. I also like the clean look of the electronic switch board and wires concealed inside the battery case with a flush mount button. I respect your opinion favoring the mechanical switch. As to the reliability of the electronic switch, I’ll have to wait and see. The mechanical switch that I was using didn’t fail because of the arcing. The spring bar became weak and allowed the points to loose connection intermittently. It was a scorpion brand 120amp. Perhaps a heavier breaker like a 250 would have held up better.

“people” as in the manufacturer and not people as in your purchasers is my guess?

Just wanted to followup on my comment on this topic.

@torqueboards reached out to me and replaced my switch with a tested and working one. I received it and even got some help from him in a PM convo in setting it up. Then I cross wired things and melted another VESC and the switch but that’s obviously on me :anguished:

I appreciate the good customer service and wanted to make sure I sent a proper shoutout after making the public bitching comment. Case closed for me.

DoH :flushed:

I’m working on upgrading these switches soon as well. So will have a new one shortly that will be much better.

Dood thanks for the reminder, I will follow suit with @siggs3000 here in saying @torqueboards def deserves a positive shout out.

After just bypassing the switch itself I have been rolling on that for about a month now. I still get the random motor cogging/bind/whatever but now it really only happens when I dont kick off. As that is 100% expected this problem is solved. I still disconnect everything so the ESC doesnt sit there twitching, but again I was kinda the point of failure there, so maybe i should just fix it myself.

Furthermore the 12S ESC from @torqueboards has taken a BEATING yet it still works. Between acceleration at stand still causing the bind ups, pulling the acceleration faster than the motor can handle, using a 20T - 36T pulley configuration, riding it in the rain until the gt2b reciever unit is flooded and stops working, and riding it 5+ miles a day. Anybody who rides a bus and looks at the DIY 12S ESC as “expensive” should read this: I have paid for the boards current parts by simply not taking the bus daily. Imagine how long this ESC were to last if you did the opposite of all those things I just listed, that I do on the regular?