To build or to buy?!

Just buy a Raptor from enertion. You’ll either end up spending nearly as much on a DIY build or buying a cheaper off the shelf board and wishing you’d spent more. I’ve ridden both mono and dual Raptors, can’t go wrong with either board.

What if i went… Ollins 200kv motor + vesc etc = $350 nzd shipped @torqueboards motor mechanical kit + remote + on/off power switch = $560 nzd shipped thats $910 and just need to find batteries or everything above from torqueboards + vesc + 6374 motor which comes out to $867 nzd shipped then buy batteries and parts

i wish but i dont have 2k to spend.

If you’re gonna go DIY don’t cheap out or you WILL be disappointed. Don’t cheap out in terms of $$$ or effort.

What about charger, random connectors, tools, and enclosure? And not to mention time! You’re going to go over your 1k budget at this point.

What popopopop said is true. Unless you have the tools or freinds with the tools, its hard to completely DIY a board. People be like “I made it for under $400” on instructables when they machined their mounts, welded the mount on, made fiberglass enclosures, made their own batteries and have a ton of resources around from previous projects. If you dont have a ton of tools at home, your best bet if to buy the SPACE cell and the other parts from any place like Eneretion because the SPACE cell is gonna save you a ton of work. It comes with a charger, switch, % display and connector all nicely packed in an enclosure with room for VESC and receiver. I think it’s fantastic.

2 Likes

Yes very true and that’s why I would of gone with it. I would love to get the enertion battery and Jacob’s hub motors but my wallet (and my wife) says no haha. I do have a mate that has access to all the tools I need but I don’t want to drag him to his work for hours unfortunately.

Buy the board parts, apologize to wife after :wink:

DIY instructable that doesn’t use all of the crazy expensive parts to make: http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-Electric-Skateboard-Extremely-Simple/

Isn’t that basically what he is doing already at about $1000 NZD? Also those esc’s don’t appear to ship to AUS let alone NZ.